Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son is a freshman and he maintains that he wants to play Division 1 soccer. To be honest, I don't think it is even remotely within the realm of possibility that he makes it. Can someone recommend an legit D1 I.D. camp on the East Coast that I can send him to so he can develop a more realistic sense of the type of athletes he'd be competing with down the road?
    My advice (and I have a D playing in college) is let him have his dream for now as a freshman if it motivates him for school and soccer. As he gets more experience/maturity, he will come around but you don’t need to yank it away by sending him to an ID camp at 15. What I would do is have him take a pre-SAT class/test next fall and see how he scores. If he’s a genius, then great maybe that’s his path to D1. If he’s down in the 900-1000 range, he’ll understand that’s not his path. My daughter had 50 colleges on her “list” in freshman year, but taking early SAT and actually visiting a few schools (after seeing them she wasn’t so hot on them) dropped that down to less than 20 by sophomore year.

Comment

Don't recommend the UConn camp, the level of play wasn't very high and there were very very few D1 level kids there.

I hear the Villanova camp gives an assessment at the end where they tell the player what level they will project to.

Another school specific camp, Amherst I think, refuses to tell players if they are d1 2 or 3 level unless they are a rising senior, I suppose because they think a lot can change in a year or two.

Comment

What year should a player attend a D2 ID camp if the program is just so-so?

Comment

If that is the type of program where your kid potentially fits you should send them as early as as often as you can with the goal of them becoming best buds with the coaching staff there.

Comment

My son is a freshman and he maintains that he wants to play Division 1 soccer. To be honest, I don't think it is even remotely within the realm of possibility that he makes it. Can someone recommend an legit D1 I.D. camp on the East Coast that I can send him to so he can develop a more realistic sense of the type of athletes he'd be competing with down the road?
            Ones as good as another for your purpose. If he isn’t a legit prospect no one will pay attention wherever he goes. These days you are never going to find a camp where the competition teaches your kid the lesson you want.. way to many parents like you sending your mediocre kids to them.

Comment

Winter/spring of junior year, into summer. Outside of most D1 and top academic D3s that is the usual time line. A good number of boys are still getting recruited into fall of senior year.

The above advice about assessing your academics is sound. It's important to know no matter where a player ends up targeting for soccer. Only super studs get some leeway on weaker than average grades and scores and in D3 even less so. If taking a test prep class or getting a tutor may be needed the sooner you know the better. My only additional thought is to wait until sophomore year. The SAT is designed to assess knowledge through 9th grade. A lo of schools have 9th and 10th graders take the PSAT in school

Comment

Lots of folks send their kid to top programs and they sit the bench for 3 yrs.Do you want your kid to play.Academics ,school location ,city or suburb then soccer.Personally I would rather have my kid play consistently at a Middle of the bracket D1 than sit at a top school.

Comment

My son's coaches say he's mid to upper D1 in their estimation. I'd like to get a real assessment. Can someone recommend a legit D1 ID Camp that gives a detailed assessment after the fact? I don't care where it is.

Comment

My son's coaches say he's mid to upper D1 in their estimation. I'd like to get a real assessment. Can someone recommend a legit D1 ID Camp that gives a detailed assessment after the fact? I don't care where it is.
                    You'll just get a puff piece. If you want another assessment, go have him try out for another club's team and then ask for their assessment. You can also try your high school coach. Generally they are teachers themselves and in the "kid" business so know a little more than the average club coaches do about the college landscape these days.

Comment

Be honest about his place in your team and look at college placements for your club over the last few years. Shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Comment

Villanova's

Comment

If he is upper level D1, I think you would know. Is he the best player on the team and one of the best in the league? Is he getting awards and recognition? If the answers are yes, he's a d1 talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            Georgetown.

Comment

Georgetown.
                              Between Georgetown and Villanova, I’d pick Gtowns ID camp for their opinion. Both men and women’s program are much better than Villanova’s.

Comment

Wake Forest

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X