Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    vs a basketball or top football newbie? It's chump change. Pulisic is also a unicorn for US soccer.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbe.../#2a12f599642d
    So? Is $1m/ a year chump change or not?

Comment

He ain’t no Eden Hazard!!! Not even close
      Hazard is what, 30? Pulisic is 20... lots more upside potential for Pulisic. Not so much for Hazard. Chelsea still overpaid for Pulisic, but they are smart to sell Hazard now and depending on the structure of the trades they make, will likely still come out ahead financially.

Comment

So? Is $1m/ a year chump change or not?
        For a 20yo American soccer player who started with the club at 16, I'd say he is doing just fine. The reality is that he made the starting 11, contributed and scored goals on one of the top teams of the Bundesliga, which is one of the top leagues in the world. He has consistantly started in Champions League play, which is another win for him. He will do fine once he adjusts to his new team and the EPL.

My guess is that by the time he is 25, he'll be with Liverpool (if Klopp is still head coach) or Bayern Munich (Robben and Ribbery can't be long for the 1st team) and making 20 Million plus if he stays on the track he is currently on. Not too many American soccer players can do what he is doing, so yeah, 1MM for a 20yo American is not chump change considering the US rules the NFL and NBA, but not professional soccer.

Comment

$20M?

Listen, I'm a fan of Pulisic, but he's not going to be a top-20 earner. He's a fine winger but not even a starter on a club team that (while currently leading the Bundesliga), isn't a top-five team in the world.

He MAY be a full-time starter for Chelsea next year. You are saying he will be making 2x anyone on the squad now (Hazard maxes at $10M)?

If you add in outside earnings through marketing, he'll add more. But, I would really doubt he'll ever make beyond $10M with all that

And, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

$20M?

Listen, I'm a fan of Pulisic, but he's not going to be a top-20 earner. He's a fine winger but not even a starter on a club team that (while currently leading the Bundesliga), isn't a top-five team in the world.

He MAY be a full-time starter for Chelsea next year. You are saying he will be making 2x anyone on the squad now (Hazard maxes at $10M)?

If you add in outside earnings through marketing, he'll add more. But, I would really doubt he'll ever make beyond $10M with all that

And, that's nothing to sneeze at.
            Like I said, he is 20. Lots more upside potential to him. Add in he is "the most gifted American attacking player since Landon Donovan" (I tend to agree with this statement, though I won't take credit for it), with the added benefit of playing for European clubs instead of MLS, his earning potential is quite high.

As to his playing, he will likely be a more impactful player than A. Sanchez at 26MM per year and certainly a better player than Pogba at 15MM per year (I know, MU is not Chelsea). Once he moves to a top ten global club (which Chelsea is not) after proving himself in EPL, the money will roll in.

Comment

He doesn't pocket any of that. Transfer fees typically go to the club the player is leaving. Essentially, he was sold.
              A % of the transfer fee will go to Pulisic's Agent, I don't know for sure, but wouldn't be surprised if his mother/father act as his representatives.

Pulisic will get a decent sized signing bonus ($2m+), and a bumper contract (5 Year/75k-125k per week) but will have given up an overwhelming majority of image rights to Chelsea/Nike.

Financially it's a home run for Chelsea, especially if they can get $30m for Hudson-Odoi from Bayern. Pulisic will not only sell shirts, but sell out 100k stadiums for Summer friendlies. He'll also be a lucrative attraction for potential commercial investment/sponsorship from US companies. Expect to see a ton of Nike Pulisic ads in early Summer!

Comment

Like I said, he is 20. Lots more upside potential to him. Add in he is "the most gifted American attacking player since Landon Donovan" (I tend to agree with this statement, though I won't take credit for it), with the added benefit of playing for European clubs instead of MLS, his earning potential is quite high.

As to his playing, he will likely be a more impactful player than A. Sanchez at 26MM per year and certainly a better player than Pogba at 15MM per year (I know, MU is not Chelsea). Once he moves to a top ten global club (which Chelsea is not) after proving himself in EPL, the money will roll in.
                Posts like this are why nobody takes us serious...

Comment

He will never be better than Alexis or Pogba. Alexis wasn’t given a fair chance to play his style under Jose as was Pogba. Alexis is a top 10 winger in the premier league, and was top 2 or 3 for a period while at Arsenal. Pulisic could very easily flop in the premier league. Also Chelsea is probably a top 10 team.

City
                  Liverpool
                  Spurs
                  Arsenal
                  Chelsea
                  Juve
                  Atleti
                  Real
                  Barca
                  Bayern
                  PSG

That’s 11.

Comment

He will never be better than Alexis or Pogba. Alexis wasn’t given a fair chance to play his style under Jose as was Pogba. Alexis is a top 10 winger in the premier league, and was top 2 or 3 for a period while at Arsenal. Pulisic could very easily flop in the premier league. Also Chelsea is probably a top 10 team.

City
                    Liverpool
                    Spurs
                    Arsenal
                    Chelsea
                    Juve
                    Atleti
                    Real
                    Barca
                    Bayern
                    PSG

That’s 11.
                    You're probably right, but I personally would take Spurs, Man U, Inter, Roma, or Dortmund before Chelsea in that list, from a global marketing and name recognition standpoint. That might just be my own personal prejudice though...

Comment

You're probably right, but I personally would take Spurs, Man U, Inter, Roma, or Dortmund before Chelsea in that list, from a global marketing and name recognition standpoint. That might just be my own personal prejudice though...
                      For marketing I’ll give you Man United but none of the other ones by a long shot.

Comment

Hazard is what, 30? Pulisic is 20... lots more upside potential for Pulisic. Not so much for Hazard. Chelsea still overpaid for Pulisic, but they are smart to sell Hazard now and depending on the structure of the trades they make, will likely still come out ahead financially.
                        27 actually. CP is overrated TBH. Great white hope of america soccer. Remember Jordan Morris? He is a nice little player and is a serviceable option. He’s is not a game changer. Bobby kraft will make sure he is playing when they come to Foxboro. Dont get too close Christian.

Comment

27 actually. CP is overrated TBH. Great white hope of america soccer. Remember Jordan Morris? He is a nice little player and is a serviceable option. He’s is not a game changer. Bobby kraft will make sure he is playing when they come to Foxboro. Dont get too close Christian.
                          The big difference between CP and JM? One has developed playing against top tier talent in a much tougher German league and playing against top internationals in Champions League while the other stayed in league with technically inferior players and a slower speed of play.

Makes all the difference in the world. Add to that JM's ACL injury speaks volumes about the lack of intelligent applied exercise science in the US. ACL tears like JM's are completely preventable. There was no contact (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfqTXnXvR8), which means one or more of the following contributed: poor fitness/lack of rest and recovery and/or poor strength and conditioning. This after a hamstring injury in the prior year. Pulisic has had a number of injuries as well of late, but it seems clubs who actually view their players as an investment (and whose worth in valued in the millions) get the attention to detail that seems to be missing in the MLS. My .02...

Comment

The big difference between CP and JM? One has developed playing against top tier talent in a much tougher German league and playing against top internationals in Champions League while the other stayed in league with technically inferior players and a slower speed of play.

Makes all the difference in the world. Add to that JM's ACL injury speaks volumes about the lack of intelligent applied exercise science in the US. ACL tears like JM's are completely preventable. There was no contact (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfqTXnXvR8), which means one or more of the following contributed: poor fitness/lack of rest and recovery and/or poor strength and conditioning. This after a hamstring injury in the prior year. Pulisic has had a number of injuries as well of late, but it seems clubs who actually view their players as an investment (and whose worth in valued in the millions) get the attention to detail that seems to be missing in the MLS. My .02...
                            Good post. He was kinda blaming the poor turf but he was just chipping the ball. Strange that that would cause an ACL tear. Makes me wonder if it was more lack of enough rest and recovery. I worry about that with my son playing D1 college soccer. With two games a week and several practices a week when do they rest/recover?! Pulisic avoided college soccer and the physical toll that has on a player.

Comment

Good post. He was kinda blaming the poor turf but he was just chipping the ball. Strange that that would cause an ACL tear. Makes me wonder if it was more lack of enough rest and recovery. I worry about that with my son playing D1 college soccer. With two games a week and several practices a week when do they rest/recover?! Pulisic avoided college soccer and the physical toll that has on a player.
                              Agree 100%. It actually starts with High School soccer and filters up through college. HS season goes like this: 2-3 games per week. practice on days when there are no games. only rest day is Sunday, so 6 days per week. for almost 3 months.

The rules against coaches working with players prior to the start of the season prevent a comprehensive fitness and strength/conditioning regime with the team and rely instead on individuals putting the work in, which works for some, but not all.

Any wonder why our team had multiple upperclassmen with ACL and MCL injuries in addition to the usual muscle tears/pulls/strains and sprains?

I've heard college soccer is considering stretching out the season to Fall and Spring, which would help some...

Comment

Agree 100%. It actually starts with High School soccer and filters up through college. HS season goes like this: 2-3 games per week. practice on days when there are no games. only rest day is Sunday, so 6 days per week. for almost 3 months.

The rules against coaches working with players prior to the start of the season prevent a comprehensive fitness and strength/conditioning regime with the team and rely instead on individuals putting the work in, which works for some, but not all.

Any wonder why our team had multiple upperclassmen with ACL and MCL injuries in addition to the usual muscle tears/pulls/strains and sprains?

I've heard college soccer is considering stretching out the season to Fall and Spring, which would help some...
                                Forgot to add with regards to HS, little to no periodization of work load. I get it's a condensed season with too many games, but a little time spent working out a pre-season/weekly/post-season periodization schedule for training would probably pay dividends in injury prevention and hitting peak performance at the right time. I'm sure with larger staffs, colleges are better about this than HS.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X