Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So your kid is playing competitive soccer 12 months a year!?
    In different forms....yes. He plays HS, he plays with his friends/town, and he plays club . At least two days per week are fitness and not soccer

Comment

Im not asking you to care abut my opinion. If yu want to play HS soccer, play it. Julie Foudy has no busiiness making any comments on it.

What makes her an expert? This is so typical. Its like people asking Mark Pulisic how to be a soccer parent because his kid has talent. Julie Foudy did what was best for her at the time and others should do the same.

Michael Jordan has been a great NBA executive right?
      Because she probably has a ton more knowledge, experience, and accomplishment than you do. This brings clout. In case you hadn't noticed this is how the real world works. People who know a lot and who achieve a lot in their respective fields are usually respected and considered experts, and for good reason. She's also female and because of that she brings an understanding that you could never have about girls and soccer, assuming that you are male.

Comment

Because she probably has a ton more knowledge, experience, and accomplishment than you do. This brings clout. In case you hadn't noticed this is how the real world works. People who know a lot and who achieve a lot in their respective fields are usually respected and considered experts, and for good reason. She's also female and because of that she brings an understanding that you could never have about girls and soccer, assuming that you are male.
        no its not. in the real world people make decisions based on their own situations. only a fool listens to what Julie Foudy thinks is best for their kid. What makes her an expert? Because she played HS soccer ? give me a break.

So why is her "understanding" any more valuable than April Heinrichs ? Exactly.

Comment

One of her main reasons was the social aspect of soccer for girls. She wasn’t saying it’s better for them to develop great soccer skills. If you have a kid who doesn’t need the social aspect of soccer then this is irrelevant. Mine has been on teams where she liked the kids and teams where she just didn’t care about them. Not all girls are playing soccer for social reasons and it’s annoying that people treat girls ninnies who can’t possibly just love the game.

Comment

One of her main reasons was the social aspect of soccer for girls. She wasn’t saying it’s better for them to develop great soccer skills. If you have a kid who doesn’t need the social aspect of soccer then this is irrelevant. Mine has been on teams where she liked the kids and teams where she just didn’t care about them. Not all girls are playing soccer for social reasons and it’s annoying that people treat girls ninnies who can’t possibly just love the game.
            Exactly! Girls need to learn that great soccer at higher levels is a business like any other. You don't need to love or even like your teammates. Like any work, you just need to grind it out. Foudy didn't get to choose the women on her WC teams. They weren't her best pals growing up. They were players chosen for their skills by the coaches. Girls are today are tougher than Foudy gives them credit for.

Comment

Exactly! Girls need to learn that great soccer at higher levels is a business like any other. You don't need to love or even like your teammates. Like any work, you just need to grind it out. Foudy didn't get to choose the women on her WC teams. They weren't her best pals growing up. They were players chosen for their skills by the coaches. Girls are today are tougher than Foudy gives them credit for.
              YEs they are. But they also don't need to give up HS soccer to prove that, particularly the 99.9% who aren't bound for a pro career (such as it is in women's soccer) or the NT.

Comment

The underlying issue that I think she is addressing is way to many kids are treating like a business way too earlier and few of them actually have an actual cause to do do. The sad part is few, including most club coaches, but a Foudy really know what real soccer talent looks like nor how to develop it.

Comment

YEs they are. But they also don't need to give up HS soccer to prove that, particularly the 99.9% who aren't bound for a pro career (such as it is in women's soccer) or the NT.
                  And how many guys who give up high school don't play professionally or NT either? It's a choice, some realize they want more meaningful practices and touches than high school. I see many freshman that were impactful on their teams this year and many played GDA, not high school. Look at UNC and FSU as examples, all of those freshmen played GDA not high school and many played impactful roles in their team's success. All of them were ECNL players prior to GDA.

Most of the top level players (nearly all of the YNT) players were U19/U18 GDA last year. These kids played each other. When was the last time that the freshman class were that impactful across the division?

This year with the split in the leagues, it does not appear that any one league is dominating in having most of the impactful kids. And it's the high school play excuse that is causing this. I see many top high school team/players are not even soccer players primarily or maybe at all outside of high school. That is a rarity in high level club play.
                  JMHO - Happy Holidays All.

Comment

The underlying issue that I think she is addressing is way to many kids are treating like a business way too earlier and few of them actually have an actual cause to do do. The sad part is few, including most club coaches, but a Foudy really know what real soccer talent looks like nor how to develop it.
                    Are you saying she does? Please dont make me laugh.

Comment

And how many guys who give up high school don't play professionally or NT either? It's a choice, some realize they want more meaningful practices and touches than high school. I see many freshman that were impactful on their teams this year and many played GDA, not high school. Look at UNC and FSU as examples, all of those freshmen played GDA not high school and many played impactful roles in their team's success. All of them were ECNL players prior to GDA.

Most of the top level players (nearly all of the YNT) players were U19/U18 GDA last year. These kids played each other. When was the last time that the freshman class were that impactful across the division?

This year with the split in the leagues, it does not appear that any one league is dominating in having most of the impactful kids. And it's the high school play excuse that is causing this. I see many top high school team/players are not even soccer players primarily or maybe at all outside of high school. That is a rarity in high level club play.
                      JMHO - Happy Holidays All.

All this angst and what has it brought the men's NT? We can't even keep pace with the men's side let along make make significant progress.

It was USSF's choice to enter the women's market and design a league that is too big for the number of players who want to or are willing to give up HS. Those who want to skip HS have always had the option to do so, and now they have a league in which to do it. But the league is a watered down mess. ECNL has faults but they didn't create the watered down mess there is now

Comment

i agree that pushing kids to pick a sport - any sport - too young is a huge problem. Then two years later they are burned out or just want to try something else and it's hard for them to break into another one. For teh vast majority of kids it's unnecessary. But it certainly does help the bank accounts of those in the youth sports business.

Comment

Are you saying she does? Please dont make me laugh.
                          Agreed. Foudy rides the hot hand. That's it. She has discovered nobody. I liked her as a player. I like her as an announcer most times. I don't like her hype.

Comment

All this angst and what has it brought the men's NT? We can't even keep pace with the men's side let along make make significant progress.

It was USSF's choice to enter the women's market and design a league that is too big for the number of players who want to or are willing to give up HS. Those who want to skip HS have always had the option to do so, and now they have a league in which to do it. But the league is a watered down mess. ECNL has faults but they didn't create the watered down mess there is now
                            Last year, ECNL was the watered down mess. ECNL did create it. They caused the division because US Soccer wanted to help them run the show and ECNL wanted to run it themselves. Now, all the leagues are watered down.

Comment

Last year, ECNL was the watered down mess. ECNL did create it. They caused the division because US Soccer wanted to help them run the show and ECNL wanted to run it themselves. Now, all the leagues are watered down.
                              Fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                                Fake news.
                                It is fake news. The poster has no idea what he’s talking about. I don’t care at all about the patch, but some clubs are chasing a mirage, intent on beating out other clubs at the expense of their members. Yes, I’m talking about the club that I valued for years: nefc.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X