Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You’re delusional all around. You can wage your little war against Nike and spout off all kinds of reasons for it, but you and the few who think like you aren’t going to hurt Nike in the least.
    Some more reasons to avoid Nike:
    The multi-billion dollar sportswear company Nike admitted yesterday that it "blew it" by employing children in Third World countries but added that ending the practice might be difficult. https://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/1020-01.htm

Nike is facing a new wave of anti-sweatshop protests https://qz.com/1042298/nike-is-facin...shop-protests/

Comment

This whole thing is a giant hypocrisy:
      Kap a soon to be washed up player, draws attention to himself, and then gets recognized by Nike for his sacrifice. A sacrifice that kept him relevant.

He claims to have freedom as a citizen. This would be true, except he is a paid costumed performer in private NFL production. His job is to follow the game day choreography that mandates his uniform, his behavior on field, and where he STANDS during the National Anthem. Private script, Paid performer - No rights at all, other than not take the gig.

Servicemen and women are acting all butt hurt, but his actions weren't targeted at you. Claiming that the Flag represents you is crazy talk. You stand for the flag, the flag doesn't stand for you.

Trump chimes in in the name of American Pride, when all he really cares about is broadening the American divide.

The NFL is challenged to balance morale with revenue. Majority of Players are African American, but PAYERS are Military sponsorship, and redneck fans.

Every character in this play is selfish. Stop pretending your side has the morale high ground

Comment

This whole thing is a giant hypocrisy:

Servicemen and women are acting all butt hurt, but his actions weren't targeted at you. Claiming that the Flag represents you is crazy talk. You stand for the flag, the flag doesn't stand for you.

Every character in this play is selfish. Stop pretending your side has the morale high ground

Stop distorting the facts to fit your narrative, not a single serviceman or woman are claiming the Flag represents them.
        However disrespecting the National Anthem and Flag also is a disrespect to all past and present US Servicemen and women.

To understand this you need to look back, flags served an incredibly important purpose in the conflicts of the past and still do today. The national flag and the unit flag were both used to mark locations, and serve as rally points in the midst of the smoke and death of a battlefield. During the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, solders would run into harms way to prevent the flag from touching the ground, many lost their lives in the process. Every morning, of every branch of the service, all activity is halted and proper respect is given during the raising of the flag, and the same at the end of the day, for the lowering of the flag. A flag is draped over to coffin of all that have given their lives for their country. Look at the Marine Memorial of the raising of the Flag over Iwo Jimi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raisin...ag_on_Iwo_Jima

For these reasons, the flag has a special meaning to the military and those that serve. So YES, we do have the moral high ground in this!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2409694]

Nike Sweatshops
          Nike has been criticized for contracting with factories (known as Nike sweatshops) in countries such as China, Vietnam, Indonesia and Mexico. Vietnam Labor Watch, an activist group, has documented that factories contracted by Nike have violated minimum wage and overtime laws in Vietnam as late as 1996, although Nike claims that this practice has been stopped.The company has been subject to much critical coverage of the often poor working conditions and exploitation of cheap overseas labor employed in the free trade zones where their goods are typically manufactured. Sources for this criticism include Naomi Klein's book No Logo and Michael Moore documentaries.
          Campaigns have been taken up by many colleges and universities, especially anti-globalisation groups, as well as several anti-sweatshop groups such as the United Students Against Sweatshops.
          As of July 2011, Nike stated that two-thirds of its factories producing Converse products still do not meet the company's standards for worker treatment. A July 2011 Associated Press article stated that employees at the company's plants in Indonesia reported constant abuse from supervisors.

Nike Child labor abuse
          During the 1990s, Nike faced criticism for the use of child labor in Cambodia and Pakistan in factories it contracted to manufacture soccer balls. Although Nike took action to curb or at least reduce the practice, they continue to contract their production to companies that operate in areas where inadequate regulation and monitoring make it hard to ensure that child labor is not being used.
          In 2001, a BBC documentary uncovered occurrences of child labor and poor working conditions in a Cambodian factory used by Nike. The documentary focused on six girls, who all worked seven days a week, often 16 hours a day.

Strike in China factory
          In April 2014, one of the biggest strikes in mainland China took place at the Yue Yuen Industrial Holdings Dongguan shoe factory, producing amongst others for Nike. Yue Yuen did underpay an employee by 250 yuan (40.82 US Dollars) per month. The average salary at Yue Yuen is 3000 yuan per month. The factory employs 70,000 people. This practice was in place for nearly 20 years.

Paradise Papers
          On 5 November 2017, the Paradise Papers, a set of confidential electronic documents relating to offshore investment, revealed that Nike is among the corporations that used offshore companies to avoid taxes.
          Appleby documents detail how Nike boosted its after-tax profits by, among other maneuvers, transferring ownership of its Swoosh trademark to a Bermudan subsidiary, Nike International Ltd. This transfer allowed the subsidiary to charge royalties to its European headquarters in Hilversum, Netherlands, effectively converting taxable company profits to an account payable in tax-free Bermuda. Although the subsidiary was effectively run by executives at Nike's main offices in Beaverton, Oregon—to the point where a duplicate of the Bermudan company's seal was needed—for tax purposes the subsidiary was treated as Bermuda. Its profits were not declared in Europe and came to light only because of a mostly unrelated case in US Tax Court, where papers filed by Nike briefly mention royalties in 2010, 2011 and 2012 totaling $3.86 billion. Under an arrangement with Dutch authorities, the tax break was to expire in 2014, so another reorganization transferred the intellectual property from the Bermudan company to a Dutch commanditaire vennootschap or limited partnership, Nike Innovate CV. Dutch law treats income earned by a CV as if it had been earned by the principals, who owe no tax in the Netherlands if they do not reside there.

Colin Kaepernick
          In September 2018, Nike announced it had signed former American football quarterback Colin Kaepernick, noted for his controversial decision to kneel during the playing of the US national anthem, to a long-term advertising campaign. According to Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports, Kaepernick and Nike agreed to a new contract despite the fact Kaepernick has been with the company since 2011 and said that "interest from other shoe companies" played a part in the new agreement. Robinson said the contract is a "wide endorsement" where Kaepernick will have his own branded line including shoes, shirts, jerseys and more. According to Robinson, Kaepernick signed a "star" contract that puts him level with a "top-end NFL player" worth millions per year plus royalties. In response, some people set fire to their own Nike-branded clothes and shoes or cut the Nike swoosh logo out of their clothes, and the Fraternal Order of Police called the advertisement an "insult"; The College of the Ozarks removed Nike from all their athletic uniforms in response.
          During the following week, Nike's stock price fell 2.2%, even as online orders of Nike products rose 27% compared with the previous year.
          You’re clearly deranged and I urge you to get help. That said, I love poking a mad dog. So tell me, have you been protesting Nike for the past 30 years over their child worker and other practices, or only since that uppty Kaepernick started kneeling in front of your beloved flag?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2410963]

You’re clearly deranged and I urge you to get help. That said, I love poking a mad dog. So tell me, have you been protesting Nike for the past 30 years over their child worker and other practices, or only since that uppty Kaepernick started kneeling in front of your beloved flag?
            Deranged, no, not at all, and I'm not into your racists "uppty" comment. I feel he has a good cause, but is just going about it in a completely wrong way. I have never liked child abuse, or tax evasion, but NIKE made it personal when they hired someone who is insulting and hurtful to a great many people that I personally have a vested interest in, friends, family, brothers and sisters in arms.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2411049]

Deranged, no, not at all, and I'm not into your racists "uppty" comment. I feel he has a good cause, but is just going about it in a completely wrong way. I have never liked child abuse, or tax evasion, but NIKE made it personal when they hired someone who is insulting and hurtful to a great many people that I personally have a vested interest in, friends, family, brothers and sisters in arms.
              Ok, so you don’t think repeatedly posting 1,000 wood rants is deranged. Interesting.

So up until the time Kaepernick took a knee, you had no particular axe to grind with Nike, but now that they’ve publicly supported his right to protest you regard them as public enemy #1? Now you go fishing back in time looking for Nike’s bad behavior so you can publish them here in a manifesto? Why not go after rest of the Fortune 500 since they’ve done worse things than employing poor children and evading taxes? Where is your hatred for Kaepernick since he’s the one protesting? You seem more mad at Nike than him.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2411203]

Ok, so you don’t think repeatedly posting 1,000 wood rants is deranged. Interesting.

So up until the time Kaepernick took a knee, you had no particular axe to grind with Nike, but now that they’ve publicly supported his right to protest you regard them as public enemy #1? Now you go fishing back in time looking for Nike’s bad behavior so you can publish them here in a manifesto? Why not go after rest of the Fortune 500 since they’ve done worse things than employing poor children and evading taxes? Where is your hatred for Kaepernick since he’s the one protesting? You seem more mad at Nike than him.
                That large post, and it was just one, I can't take credit for, it was a direct copy and paste from Wikipedia for NIKE. Took about 30 seconds. Blame NIKE for all the shady and unscrupulous things they have done and continue to do. The original post was about one of their products, so I just made it known as to why no one should buy their products or support them. If you want to get on your soap box about any other Fortune 500, feel free to start a soccer relevant thread.

I don't "hate" Kaepernick, that is too strong of a word, I just feel he is garbage, as is NIKE, for all the reasons mentioned already. I can't boycott Kaepernick, but I can boycott NIKE products so I will, as should everyone else.

Comment

Stop distorting the facts to fit your narrative, not a single serviceman or woman are claiming the Flag represents them.
                  However disrespecting the National Anthem and Flag also is a disrespect to all past and present US Servicemen and women.

To understand this you need to look back, flags served an incredibly important purpose in the conflicts of the past and still do today. The national flag and the unit flag were both used to mark locations, and serve as rally points in the midst of the smoke and death of a battlefield. During the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, solders would run into harms way to prevent the flag from touching the ground, many lost their lives in the process. Every morning, of every branch of the service, all activity is halted and proper respect is given during the raising of the flag, and the same at the end of the day, for the lowering of the flag. A flag is draped over to coffin of all that have given their lives for their country. Look at the Marine Memorial of the raising of the Flag over Iwo Jimi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raisin...ag_on_Iwo_Jima

For these reasons, the flag has a special meaning to the military and those that serve. So YES, we do have the moral high ground in this!
                  The flag has special meaning to you, and all branches of the military. I get it. Me too.

Why it has meaning and how much meaning is irrelevant. If you think that disrespecting the flag is disrespecting the military, then you feel that the flag stands for the military. I'm sorry it doesn't.

You CAN find it offensive, but it is not disrespectful unless it is targeted at you. Kap's actions were NOT targeted at the military. You are free to boycott Nike tho.

Comment

The flag has special meaning to you, and all branches of the military. I get it. Me too.

Why it has meaning and how much meaning is irrelevant. If you think that disrespecting the flag is disrespecting the military, then you feel that the flag stands for the military. I'm sorry it doesn't.

You CAN find it offensive, but it is not disrespectful unless it is targeted at you. Kap's actions were NOT targeted at the military. You are free to boycott Nike tho.
                    Yes. I don't get to define what the flag means to you and you don't get to define what it means to me. You are offended by kap and Nike and you act accordingly. I respect Kap and appreciate Nike use of him in a campaign.

Comment

CK taking a knee has nothing to do with the military. He was nakia g a point that some very bad police are murdering Americans on the streets of these United States. Police do not have the right to act as judge, jury or executioner in this country.

Actually find it a total disrespect to the flag when I see it flying torn, or used in any other manner it was not intended for. Now back to futsal

Comment

I've already said that the flag does not stand for the military, but it is still disrespecting to those in the military. Go back and read it, if you can't comprehend it, well then I can't fix stupid. I agree that Colon's actions are not targeting the military, but they are disrespectful to those that have served. What does kneeling during the National Anthem have to do with a few police breaking the law and targeting minorities, NOTHING. Is the unjust targeting of minorities a policy of the US Gov't, NO IT'S NOT, so the kneeling isn't appropriate and just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Yes. I don't get to define what the flag means to you and you don't get to define what it means to me. You are offended by kap and Nike and you act accordingly. I respect Kap and appreciate Nike use of him in a campaign.
                          I think Krapernick is a worthless piece of dirt and I'm glad no team will ever hire him as a quarter back ever again. In a couple years he will be off to obscurity and no one will ever hear about him again.

Comment

I think Krapernick is a worthless piece of dirt and I'm glad no team will ever hire him as a quarter back ever again. In a couple years he will be off to obscurity and no one will ever hear about him again.
                            Ok. You are not the target market for the nike ad then. Then analyzed this to death and realized they could sell more product with the ad then sales they would lose. Just math really. You hatred of him is a minority position and they want to sell to the majority. It is just a numbers game.

Comment

Ok. You are not the target market for the nike ad then. Then analyzed this to death and realized they could sell more product with the ad then sales they would lose. Just math really. You hatred of him is a minority position and they want to sell to the majority. It is just a numbers game.
                              The bump from Kap is just temporary, the loss from the insulting behavior will be for a very, very long time if not forever. I know I'll never do business with them again.

Comment

The bump from Kap is just temporary, the loss from the insulting behavior will be for a very, very long time if not forever. I know I'll never do business with them again.
                                No offense but I will give Nikes business acumen the edge over your analysis. They are a monster company.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X