Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to know about youth GK

My kids U10 team rotates all the players through goal for games. Almost none of of the kids ever want to play goalie, and I don't think I have ever seen our coach spend any time in practices with principles of goalkeeping. I am sure we've lost several games because the kids have no basic goalie training. There are definitely teams in our league that have kids that work hard at being goalie, probably even several with dedicated goalies at this age.
    I understand, all the kids want to, and should be, on field but how common is it that the coach provides basically no goalie training to the kids at all at this age? I am curious about other youth teams experience with goal keeping to get ideas about how to improve our goalie situation under the given circumstances.

Not common at all during regular practices. Goalkeepers usually attend specific goalkeeper training. Most clubs offer this once a week with a goalie coach. If not you can usually find a goalie specific coach in your area. But make sure to ask around, get some references, check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Not common at all during regular practices. Goalkeepers usually attend specific goalkeeper training. Most clubs offer this once a week with a goalie coach. If not you can usually find a goalie specific coach in your area. But make sure to ask around, get some references, check them out.
      I meant to say it is not common to have goalie training during regular practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I meant to say it is not common to have goalie training during regular practice.
        At our club they coordinate GK training with team practice. Keepers do 45 minutes of GK training then finish with team. That's 2 times a week with a 3rd time of GK only training for an hour.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X