This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transgender high school athletes spark controversy, debate in Connecticut

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Andraya Yearwood hears the comments, usually from adults and usually not to her face.

She shouldn't be running, they say, not against girls.

Yearwood, a 17-year-old junior at Cromwell High School, is one of two transgender high school sprinters in Connecticut, transitioning to female.

She recently finished second in the 55-meter dash at the state open indoor track championships. The winner, Terry Miller of Bloomfield High, is also transgender and set a girls state indoor record of 6.95 seconds. Yearwood finished in 7.01 seconds and the third-place competitor, who is not transgender, finished in 7.23 seconds.

Miller and Yearwood also topped the 100-meter state outdoor championships last year, and Miller won the 300 indoors this season.

Critics say their gender identity amounts to an unfair advantage, expressing a familiar argument in a complex debate for transgender athletes as they break barriers across sports around the world from high school to the pros.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Andraya Yearwood hears the comments, usually from adults and usually not to her face.

Yearwood, a 17-year-old junior at Cromwell High School, is one of two transgender high school sprinters in Connecticut, transitioning to female.

She recently finished second in the 55-meter dash at the state open indoor track championships. The winner, Terry Miller of Bloomfield High, is also transgender and set a girls state indoor record of 6.95 seconds. Yearwood finished in 7.01 seconds and the third-place competitor, who is not transgender, finished in 7.23 seconds.

Miller and Yearwood also topped the 100-meter state outdoor championships last year, and Miller won the 300 indoors this season.

Critics say their gender identity amounts to an unfair advantage, expressing a familiar argument in a complex debate for transgender athletes as they break barriers across sports around the world from high school to the pros.
    bottom line, it is unfair to high school girls. Like it our not, the TG students are still young men and genetically different to high school girls. Create a TG sate championship and they can win every event. Let girls compete against girls. Mind you, I respect the TG students right to transition to females, but come on, the TG student isnt anywhere close to the boys best indoor 55mm time this year, 6.47 seconds

Comment

bottom line, it is unfair to high school girls. Like it our not, the TG students are still young men and genetically different to high school girls. Create a TG sate championship and they can win every event. Let girls compete against girls. Mind you, I respect the TG students right to transition to females, but come on, the TG student isnt anywhere close to the boys best indoor 55mm time this year, 6.47 seconds
      I have to agree - and I'm as liberal as it comes to transgenders, their rights etc. But this science. It's one thing for a born female/transitioned male to compete against males. Some have even done well and good for them. But born male/transitioned female is an unfair advantage to compete against other females. In reality it is a very rare occurrence that this comes up but it obviously is one that draws a lot of attention

Comment

I have to agree - and I'm as liberal as it comes to transgenders, their rights etc. But this science. It's one thing for a born female/transitioned male to compete against males. Some have even done well and good for them. But born male/transitioned female is an unfair advantage to compete against other females. In reality it is a very rare occurrence that this comes up but it obviously is one that draws a lot of attention
        It will not be rare for long.Not as long as they can compete with the gender they " identify" with. It will become more and more common. Martina is against it, so they booted her out of the Organization. This is the Social Justice that Liberal Democrats have brought to the state. It was the CT Legislature that passed the law. Maybe people will now wake up, after another Billion in taxes added on, and the 50 Toll Gantries spread around the state coming in a few years . Anyone that votes Democratic needs their head examined.

Comment

The illogical liberal mind starts to see the flaws in liberalism when it affects them or their families. Yes, I see you reference science in this instance but just wait until you read all of the scientific reports that say gender is a social construct. It has started, the science you think you know hasn't been climate changed yet.

Of course I am a racist, homophobe, masoginist for even thinking differently than liberals.

Comment

Sorry but your not staying on message to the liberal talking points. The science states being able to choose your gender is biological and not psychological. You are such a sexist transphobic pig: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/gender...ry?id=29335854

I bet you are a racist MAGA hat wearer too!

Comment

This is a silly rule proposed by an idiot, voted on by idiots and supported by idiots. I identify myself as quarterback of the Rams, but that doesn’t make it so. I’m not against doing whatever makes you happy, but I don’t want a 10 year old girl to share a bathroom with someone with male body parts, and I’m in favor of a level playing field for all. We have different class sizes for schools to be fair. This is no different. If there are enough TG’s to form a league, go for it. Otherwise, that’s life.

Comment

who cares this is a soccer blog not track and field!!!!

Comment

who cares this is a soccer blog not track and field!!!!
                  Do you honestly think that the soccer field isn’t next?

Count on it

Comment

Count on it
                    Agreed, basketball, soccer, lax, hockey will all experience this.

Comment

The illogical liberal mind starts to see the flaws in liberalism when it affects them or their families. Yes, I see you reference science in this instance but just wait until you read all of the scientific reports that say gender is a social construct. It has started, the science you think you know hasn't been climate changed yet.

Of course I am a racist, homophobe, masoginist for even thinking differently than liberals.
                      I think someone should bring forth a class action for male, black widow spiders. They have been repressed and killed for centuries and it simply is not fair. They should be allowed to live and help bring up their offspring too.

Comment

Agreed, basketball, soccer, lax, hockey will all experience this.
                        Maybe a way to overcome Title IX in here somewhere and get athletic money at UCONN and CCSU!

Comment

I think someone should bring forth a class action for male, black widow spiders. They have been repressed and killed for centuries and it simply is not fair. They should be allowed to live and help bring up their offspring too.
                          Wow, truly hysterical. You should definitely be repressed.

Comment

Count on it
                            My son can be an all-american now!! Awesome! We are going dress shopping tonight!

Comment

Wow, truly hysterical. You should definitely be repressed.
                              I am a white, male .... have been repressed my entire life.

Comment

Working...
                              X