X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A&E/NWSL Terminate Contract Early

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardm.../#41aeb43f5a66

Guess is why it took so long to release NWSL schedule (some thought it was prospect of Sky Blue going under). Short term this is really bad news; longer-term maybe they can get back on a soccer/sports' network.

The balance for women's sports in this country, always, is choosing between a path offering greater growth and making sure the stability of the league is not threatened.

The optimists now see a chance to significantly improve the former. Those of us who have seen several leagues fail already, thanks to some risks that didn't pay off, worry in light of this announcement about the latter.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Guess is why it took so long to release NWSL schedule (some thought it was prospect of Sky Blue going under). Short term this is really bad news; longer-term maybe they can get back on a soccer/sports' network.

The balance for women's sports in this country, always, is choosing between a path offering greater growth and making sure the stability of the league is not threatened.

The optimists now see a chance to significantly improve the former. Those of us who have seen several leagues fail already, thanks to some risks that didn't pay off, worry in light of this announcement about the latter.

I tried watching some of the games. It's really difficult to produce a great product when people are used to high level camera work from EPL, NFL, NBA and the like.

The announcing was really quite good.

The camera work and production quality was closer to a local high school. The PAC12 Network is better.

The result was a pretty boring game to watch. There are not a lot of big personalities or powerhouse teams to create excitement. Some games there were just a handful of people attending.

It's too bad because it takes the wind out of the league and hurts the valuation of the franchises.

Comment

^ production values weren't why people weren't watching. No one cares about women's soccer.

Comment

^ production values weren't why people weren't watching. No one cares about women's soccer.
        If you have better production, have one really dominant team (like the Yankees everyone loves to hate), and build up the name recognition & personalities it would help.

The games that I saw on TV all seemed pretty generic. I would honestly rather go watch a good youth game than watch the Thorns on TV. Not a lot of excitement on the Thorns TV games.

I did really enjoy going out to the park to see games but that usually involved sunshine, some good food and beer. I hope the NWSL figures out a way to continue.

Comment

If you have better production, have one really dominant team (like the Yankees everyone loves to hate), and build up the name recognition & personalities it would help.

The games that I saw on TV all seemed pretty generic. I would honestly rather go watch a good youth game than watch the Thorns on TV. Not a lot of excitement on the Thorns TV games.

I did really enjoy going out to the park to see games but that usually involved sunshine, some good food and beer. I hope the NWSL figures out a way to continue.
          I can say the same about baseball. I like going once or twice a year with friends'/family and having a good time. But you can't pay me to watch it on TV. Same with women's soccer or even basketball (and I love basketball). It's just not that interesting to watch and I only have so much free time to allocate. Women's soccer is not going to consume any of my free time beyond the US NT (and the played poorly yesterday). Ultimately A&E is part of a large for profit company. If you don't deliver the numbers they cut the programming. As a soccer fan I appreciate the effort but I am not surprised by the outcome. We're not a soccer country + it's women's sports.

Comment

Elite soccer here is for rich girls. Not enough rich soccer playing families to watch and most of those families are only interested in watching their own dd play. Even the girl players themselves rarely watch any soccer on tv and if they do its European soccer.

You need to get blue collar Americans interested in girls soccer for it to become more popular. Switch to high school graduation year age groups, tie club soccer closely to public school soccer(& expand public school soccer), have Nike pick blue collar soccer players for “follow your dream” commercials (not filthy rich girls who have been fed soccer grapes with a spoon fashioned out of diamonds since birth - no one can relate to that as a dream they could follow), and you’ll build your soccer viewership. Instead youth soccer participation is down by 15% since implementing birth year age groups and making all youth soccer about the national team.

Comment

Do you have a clue what it costs to play volleyball, gymnastics, dance, cheer, and other sports? Especially at a top level where you travel. Go educate yourself and check back in when you have. Even elite soccer is not that expensive.

Comment

Elite soccer here is for rich girls. Not enough rich soccer playing families to watch and most of those families are only interested in watching their own dd play. Even the girl players themselves rarely watch any soccer on tv and if they do its European soccer.

You need to get blue collar Americans interested in girls soccer for it to become more popular. Switch to high school graduation year age groups, tie club soccer closely to public school soccer(& expand public school soccer), have Nike pick blue collar soccer players for “follow your dream” commercials (not filthy rich girls who have been fed soccer grapes with a spoon fashioned out of diamonds since birth - no one can relate to that as a dream they could follow), and you’ll build your soccer viewership. Instead youth soccer participation is down by 15% since implementing birth year age groups and making all youth soccer about the national team.
                Until we attract the masses to soccer, no one will care except the rich, mostly suburban girls.

Comment

Making a spectacle out of a well off 13 year old whose parents could afford private training and tips to Europe certainly isn't going to help that image.

Then there's the reality that it's women's soccer - Women's sports in general doesn't get any attention and neither does soccer. Double whammy.

Comment

Making a spectacle out of a well off 13 year old whose parents could afford private training and tips to Europe certainly isn't going to help that image.

Then there's the reality that it's women's soccer - Women's sports in general doesn't get any attention and neither does soccer. Double whammy.
                    Some of the women soccer players on the NT are worth millions.

Comment

They’re making more and more girls not sign up and/or leave soccer. We’re going backwards. Sad.

Comment

Not to mention that the US is really the only federation still supporting the NWSL. Mexico backed out long ago and Canada is sending the vast majority of it's top players to Europe to play. NWSL is all about size and speed with almost no skill needed - hence why no one wants to watch it...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X