Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls' Soccer Refereeing

Moving this over from another thread, as the subject is more than just about GPS:

However, I really believe referees have a problem enforcing the laws of the game consistently in girls soccer. Way too many pushes from behind, high elbows, kicking of the goalies, not enough cards. Simply put, refs give too much benefit of the doubt to girls that they don't to boys.

There may be some coaching issues as well - girls take longer to learn how to properly tackle or complete a legal charge. Makes referring harder.

I also think girls are not as assertive enough in being their own advocate on the field. Through in this whole reverse sexism - parents kind of expect each other and coaches to be a little more polite than in the boys game.

So it puts girls' coaches in a tough place. Players need advocates; seeing your players repeatedly get mauled gets old. Is it better for a coach to address their choice words towards the player (a minor), an opposing coach?

****** However, refs mailing it in for girls games is not acceptable. If refs won't enforce the laws of the game and it impacts player safety, not sure a coach should be silent.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Moving this over from another thread, as the subject is more than just about GPS:

However, I really believe referees have a problem enforcing the laws of the game consistently in girls soccer. Way too many pushes from behind, high elbows, kicking of the goalies, not enough cards. Simply put, refs give too much benefit of the doubt to girls that they don't to boys.

There may be some coaching issues as well - girls take longer to learn how to properly tackle or complete a legal charge. Makes referring harder.

I also think girls are not as assertive enough in being their own advocate on the field. Through in this whole reverse sexism - parents kind of expect each other and coaches to be a little more polite than in the boys game.

So it puts girls' coaches in a tough place. Players need advocates; seeing your players repeatedly get mauled gets old. Is it better for a coach to address their choice words towards the player (a minor), an opposing coach?

****** However, refs mailing it in for girls games is not acceptable. If refs won't enforce the laws of the game and it impacts player safety, not sure a coach should be silent.
    This has been apparent for a long time. Not sure how to change. Male and female referees both have this problem.

Comment

I agree and am typically unhappy with the quality of refereeing.

There are some people I know that love the game and ref games for that reason. Other people are just looking to pick up a work to pay rent.

Overall, I’ve come to the conclusion that its probably not going to get better. It’s not exactly a highly desirable job. You have to make split second decisions and rarely will you not have someone who is unhappy with your call or no call. Miss an offside call? Get criticized and yelled at by 15 people. Yeah, sounds like fun. You miss the first blatant shove and pull a yellow for the retaliation? Screamed at by obnoxious parents.

Maybe it’s the parents who are the cause for such bad refereeing? Maybe parents have made it an undesirable job for people who lack really thick skin and the ability to tune out?

These issues lead to less supply of referees and therefore lower quality and affect the ability to hold referees to high standards.

Comment

There are some people I know that love the game and ref games for that reason. Other people are just looking to pick up a work to pay rent.

Overall, I’ve come to the conclusion that its probably not going to get better. It’s not exactly a highly desirable job. You have to make split second decisions and rarely will you not have someone who is unhappy with your call or no call. Miss an offside call? Get criticized and yelled at by 15 people. Yeah, sounds like fun. You miss the first blatant shove and pull a yellow for the retaliation? Screamed at by obnoxious parents.

Maybe it’s the parents who are the cause for such bad refereeing? Maybe parents have made it an undesirable job for people who lack really thick skin and the ability to tune out?

These issues lead to less supply of referees and therefore lower quality and affect the ability to hold referees to high standards.
        Your last two paragraphs are spot on. The people who have time to start complaining threads like this should use that time to attend classes to become an official and do it themselves, since they think they can do it better.

But if you don’t believe me, here’s some perspective from my high school senior daughter who will be playing in college next year. A year or so ago she was looking for her first job and we suggested refereeing. Seems like a no brainer. She’s fit. She knows the rules. She loves the game.

She laughed at us. Why would I want to spend my time getting screamed at by stupid parents who don’t understand the rules? I get enough of that in my own games.

And that’s your referee problem right there. The job has always had a steady supply of former and current players ready to step in. But no more. Today’s kids, after seeing the appalling way some parents and coaches (talking to you, MJ) treat referees, want no part of it. And can you blame them?

Comment

Agree parents can be horrible to refs but that’s a totally separate issue. Bad parents are on the boys’ sidelines screaming at the refs all game too but it doesn’t stop the refs from calling fouls and handing out yellow & red cards to the boys. This is a gender issue and needs to be addressed by whoever is in charge of the refs to call the LOTG equally on boys and girls. The refs need to call the girls games the same way they call the boys games. Letting all the fouls go unchecked in girls games is part of the reason that the girls suffer way more concussions and acl tears than the boys.

Comment

Comment

That’s exactly the point. Parents have made refereeing a less desirable job. So less people want to do it. Because there are less people doing it you get poorer quality. Lower levels of accountability.

And less of those referees want to ref girls games.

So the overall quality gets lower and lower.

Comment

That’s exactly the point. Parents have made refereeing a less desirable job. So less people want to do it. Because there are less people doing it you get poorer quality. Lower levels of accountability.

And less of those referees want to ref girls games.

So the overall quality gets lower and lower.
                Try having no support from the state association when a coach is constanty berating, yelling, belittling, [to an extent] threatening you as a referee. There is no repricussuons for cosches like this. Why should a referee stay in their job if this is accepted by the parents and the state association.

Comment

Agree parents can be horrible to refs but that’s a totally separate issue. Bad parents are on the boys’ sidelines screaming at the refs all game too but it doesn’t stop the refs from calling fouls and handing out yellow & red cards to the boys. This is a gender issue and needs to be addressed by whoever is in charge of the refs to call the LOTG equally on boys and girls. The refs need to call the girls games the same way they call the boys games. Letting all the fouls go unchecked in girls games is part of the reason that the girls suffer way more concussions and acl tears than the boys.
                  Yes, separate totally separate issue. I don’t know why refs refuse to enforce the LOTG when reffing girls games but have no problem in boys games. This needs to change! Also, parents need to keep their mouths shut at both girls and boys games.

Comment

Try having no support from the state association when a coach is constanty berating, yelling, belittling, [to an extent] threatening you as a referee. There is no repricussuons for cosches like this. Why should a referee stay in their job if this is accepted by the parents and the state association.
                    Can't a referee issue a warning and then send the coach packing if she/he doesn't stop?

I have seen lots of coach warnings. Twice refs have stopped the game and said they would not restart until a coach left the field.

Comment

Yes, separate totally separate issue. I don’t know why refs refuse to enforce the LOTG when reffing girls games but have no problem in boys games. This needs to change! Also, parents need to keep their mouths shut at both girls and boys games.
                      I disagree. I don't see it as a separate issue.

Referee abuse by parents = less people want to referee.

Less referees = lowers the quality of the referee pool. You wind up in many cases taking whoever is available.

You might see it as a male vs female difference, but I see it as an overall referee quality issue.

Comment

Less referees = lowers the quality of the referee pool. You wind up in many cases taking whoever is available.

You might see it as a male vs female difference, but I see it as an overall referee quality issue.
                        Then why do the same referees enforce the LOTG in the boys games but not in the girls games? Failing to enforce the laws of the game across the board when it comes to girls (but not boys) games was the original topic. That is a referee issue with different reffing standards for girls vs boys when the laws of the game are the exact same for both genders.

Agree though that the general issue of poor reffing is not a gender issue and may compound the gender different issue of enforcing the laws of the game.

Comment

Take a look at red cards or yellows in any game report from OYSA or DA game boy vs girl. Even a quick check shows the gaping gender disparity on cards being handed out. Now go to a competitive girls game and you will quickly determine female players do not miraculously not want to win and not do stupid dangerous plays, nor do they play like princesses, many older youth female players are downright dirty. It is embarrassing how the statistics with even a mild check demonstrate that girls are carded vastly less. Dangerous and embarrassing. Low quality refs or high quality refs all the same gender discrepancy in the game reports.

Comment

Low supply of referees.

In general most better referees prefer to ref boys games.

I think a big part of why you get different treatment is that you have better referees in boys games and worse quality in girls games.

The fouls I see in boys games are a lot more violent. The play in girls games is a lot more dirty but not as violent.

Comment

Take a look at red cards or yellows in any game report from OYSA or DA game boy vs girl. Even a quick check shows the gaping gender disparity on cards being handed out. Now go to a competitive girls game and you will quickly determine female players do not miraculously not want to win and not do stupid dangerous plays, nor do they play like princesses, many older youth female players are downright dirty. It is embarrassing how the statistics with even a mild check demonstrate that girls are carded vastly less. Dangerous and embarrassing. Low quality refs or high quality refs all the same gender discrepancy in the game reports.
                              It’s disturbing and leads to the much higher rates of concussions and torn acls in female vs male players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X