X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 99988826

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why would they change? Did girls coaches at WST, EST, and so on change? Are these clubs putting more resources into girls? Are they suddenly putting more value into their girls program?

NOTHING has changed! NOTHING! The TA clubs switching back to OYSA means sh!t. These clubs have not changed one bit. They are the same. Same sh!t different league.
    Why the hostility toward OYSA and the loyalty to OPL? Please also keep in mind that there are many high quality girls at these TA clubs. For a number of reasons, including geography, they play for clubs other than FCPDX, OSSA, and THUSC. In most cases the teams are not as deep based purely on numbers. As far as coaching and resources, I would put Eugene and Bend and Vancouver up against any of the OPL teams you love so much.

Comment

Why the hostility toward OYSA and the loyalty to OPL? Please also keep in mind that there are many high quality girls at these TA clubs. For a number of reasons, including geography, they play for clubs other than FCPDX, OSSA, and THUSC. In most cases the teams are not as deep based purely on numbers. As far as coaching and resources, I would put Eugene and Bend and Vancouver up against any of the OPL teams you love so much.
      LOL! I think you are on the drugs

Comment

Clearly you do not understand the thread that you are posting in. The Thorns Academy is tied to the Timbers. OYSA is tied to the Timbers. OPL is tied to nothing. The MLS wants all of their teams to have Academy for boys and girls. These girls Academies will work together with ECNL to form a joint elite league. This is good for Oregon. It gives us a local in. There is no way in heck that top level talented girls should stay with OPL.

I recommend not being stubborn and just do what is right for your child.
        I don't have a huge stake in this. I have boys. But I still think that the Thorns Academy would be a great thing for the girls of Oregon and SW Washington. The picture is clearing up. I think the one thing I would want to know if I had girls is if ODP and Thorns Academy are tied together. If they are, that is great. That's what makes the boys side currently better... The ODP teams are pre-Academy to the Academy. They are really the same program. It means you have all the talent channeling to one place. The girls side gets fragmented with some talent doing ODP, some talent doing ECNL, some talent sticking with club only. What you want is girls doing club and all top talent channeling in to the Thorns Academy. In that regard, maybe OPL and OYSA could co-exist, but it still seems better for everyone if we had one league for all club teams that all channel into the same place... The Timbers and The Thorns.

Comment

I don't have a huge stake in this. I have boys. But I still think that the Thorns Academy would be a great thing for the girls of Oregon and SW Washington. The picture is clearing up. I think the one thing I would want to know if I had girls is if ODP and Thorns Academy are tied together. If they are, that is great. That's what makes the boys side currently better... The ODP teams are pre-Academy to the Academy. They are really the same program. It means you have all the talent channeling to one place. The girls side gets fragmented with some talent doing ODP, some talent doing ECNL, some talent sticking with club only. What you want is girls doing club and all top talent channeling in to the Thorns Academy. In that regard, maybe OPL and OYSA could co-exist, but it still seems better for everyone if we had one league for all club teams that all channel into the same place... The Timbers and The Thorns.
          I agree with this.

I understand why there are some holdout OPL supporters are fearful of change. For the past 5+ years most of the high school age girl talent resided within one of the three holdout founding clubs. Additionally, there were issues with ESUFC and maybe others basically running off their top girls talent once they hit high school age. I believe that while the clubs and directors are somewhat the same, there has still been enough change with a direction toward the future that will override some of the philosophical approaches to girls soccer.

Frankly, if the Timbers Alliance clubs find a way to channel top girls talent then I think there will be a major shift in dynamics. All other things being equal or better, geography matters. As an example, there have been numerous Vancouver and Eastside girls that have gone on to play college soccer and who have made regional and / or national ODP pools. In the past, these girls would often leave their starting clubs clubs and travel to the Westside as it provided a more competitive opportunity. If the Thorns puts together something meaningful there will be no need for girls to leave their own geography to get the level of play they desire. There is likely a convenient place for all (or at least as convenient as it is going to get).

I don't anticipate much movement in the older kids but I think you will see less movement from the younger girls in the very near future. This is a good thing!!!

I find this exciting!!

Comment

LOL! I think you are on the drugs
            Nice comeback Potsie

Comment

Clearly you do not understand the thread that you are posting in. The Thorns Academy is tied to the Timbers. OYSA is tied to the Timbers. OPL is tied to nothing. The MLS wants all of their teams to have Academy for boys and girls. These girls Academies will work together with ECNL to form a joint elite league. This is good for Oregon. It gives us a local in. There is no way in heck that top level talented girls should stay with OPL.

I recommend not being stubborn and just do what is right for your child.
              Clearly you do not understand. The thorns academy will want the best players and the best girls players will not be with a TA club. It will not matter if a player is OYSA, OPL, or no affiliation at all. All can try out and I guarantee the majority will come from clubs not associated with the TA. Until the coaching changes are made the TAbclubs will never have strong girls teams with the exception of VT. TA will have a lot of girls at the younger ages but they will gravitate towards the non TA clubs by U13.

Comment

Clearly you do not understand. The thorns academy will want the best players and the best girls players will not be with a TA club. It will not matter if a player is OYSA, OPL, or no affiliation at all. All can try out and I guarantee the majority will come from clubs not associated with the TA. Until the coaching changes are made the TAbclubs will never have strong girls teams with the exception of VT. TA will have a lot of girls at the younger ages but they will gravitate towards the non TA clubs by U13.
                I think you are missing a key component namely, once the Thorns Academy is up and running then there will no longer be a need for girls to move to a OPL club during high school age. The reason they have moved in the past is for a higher level of play. This is because the Thorns Academy did not exists and the cost of ODP got so high due to the pullout of OPL clubs that there were only a couple of options :
                1- Out of area
                2- OPL.

Now the Thorns Academy will do away with the highest level of talent migrating to OPL clubs during high school age. There will simply be no need. In fact, in all likelihood, once the current high level OPL teams age out there will be little attraction to these clubs other than geography..... unless, one of them gets an ECNL bid!

Comment

TA will have a lot of girls at the younger ages but they will gravitate towards the non TA clubs by U13.
                  Given that the Timbers Alliance is relatively new and that most of the younger teams are doing well I would not anticipate much in the way of gravitating towards non TA clubs after U13. If there is any gravitating I think it would be to an academy team.

I really wish that this would have come together a few years back. I feel like my child's age group got screwed with the OYSA/OPL split and the dilution of ODP since most of the kids from certain clubs were not really encouraged to participate even if they did have the funds. I think this will be much better!!

Comment

Why would they change?
                    Now that the Timbers have taken over Oregon's branch of USYS competitive soccer they have to change. No choice.

Did girls coaches at WST, EST, and so on change?
                    I guess you think the coaches were substandard at WST and EST? I don't. I think in the past these clubs leaned towards the boys side of the house (similar to THUSC , Crossfire Oregon leaning towards the girl's side). There are some very good coaches at these clubs. My DD started with a now TA club and has done as well as most any other Oregon girl of her age. It wasn't an issue of coaching it was more about the approach and where to put the emphasis. Now that the Timbers have taken over and WST and EST and so on have to change. No choice.

Are these clubs putting more resources into girls? Are they suddenly putting more value into their girls program?
                    Yes. They are putting more value in the girl's side of the program along with the resources because... they have to. No choice.

It will be a good thing for Oregon female soccer youth!!!!

Comment

I agree with this.

I don't anticipate much movement in the older kids but I think you will see less movement from the younger girls in the very near future. This is a good thing!!!

I find this exciting!!
                      Winner of the most illogical comment of the day. You make no sense. . . . . but you sound happy. I would rather be dumb and happy any day. Keep smiling.

Comment

Winner of the most illogical comment of the day. You make no sense. . . . . but you sound happy. I would rather be dumb and happy any day. Keep smiling.
                        I didn't intend it to be dumb but I concede that it makes no sense.

The first part of the illogical sentence was meant to say that I personally do not believe that many girls that are currently on OPL high school age teams will move teams to be in the OYSA league or a Timbers Alliance even though the OPL league is cratering.

The second part of the illogical sentence was meant to say that in the past there was a significant amount of movement away from what are now OYSA clubs to OPL clubs on the girls side at high school age. I think that will be a thing of the past.

My point is that OPL will still have plenty of kids playing on existing teams for a couple of years. Without a change in their direction they may not be able to sustain any growth with new players.

My prediction is that the OPL clubs will change along with everyone else.

Thanks, I am still happy. Probably dumb too but don't tell my boss.

Comment

Now that the Timbers have taken over Oregon's branch of USYS competitive soccer they have to change. No choice.
                          But I thought the Timbers didn't take over OYSA? I thought they were only subcontractors????

I guess you think the coaches were substandard at WST and EST? I don't. I think in the past these clubs leaned towards the boys side of the house (similar to THUSC , Crossfire Oregon leaning towards the girl's side). There are some very good coaches at these clubs. My DD started with a now TA club and has done as well as most any other Oregon girl of her age. It wasn't an issue of coaching it was more about the approach and where to put the emphasis. Now that the Timbers have taken over and WST and EST and so on have to change. No choice.
                          On the girls side they are totally substandard! There is a reason why their girl teams are terrible and fall apart after a few years.

Yes. They are putting more value in the girl's side of the program along with the resources because... they have to. No choice.

It will be a good thing for Oregon female soccer youth!!!!
                          Wait... so EST and WST lost their autonomy? Timbers are now running them? This news.... source?

Comment

Nice comeback Potsie
                            Potsie from Happy Days!

Comment

But I thought the Timbers didn't take over OYSA? I thought they were only subcontractors????
                              You are correct that the Timbers did not take over OYSA. Much the same as any contractor or consultant they are contracted to run the competitive branch of OYSA. They have submitted their vision and OYSA is paying the Timbers to implement it.

On the girls side they are totally substandard! There is a reason why their girl teams are terrible and fall apart after a few years.
                              Actually both WST and EST have had high level girl's teams in the recent past. Some teams have fallen apart at highs school age as groups of girls would move to THUSC for the promise of a better experience (which they very well may have achieved). Once 3-4 good players were recruited away a void in the level of play would occur. At this point the other good players would have to make a decision as to whether to stay with their team or to go somewhere else. Most opted to go.

You can bash all you like but you can't ignore the fact that at least on of these clubs have had several girls make national ODP teams in the very near past. So, clearly it isn't a coaching thing. At the time my daughter was involved with EST there was a new DOC (JR) who was a total ass and who did not value female players at all. Additionally, he may have been a bit too vocal and impressed with himself. Fortunately for EST, he isn't in charge of the girls side any longer.

Wait... so EST and WST lost their autonomy? Timbers are now running them? This news.... source?
                              The Timbers do not run WST or EST any more than OPL runs FCP or THUSC. However, as with any affiliation, there is a vision and the vision has made for some profound changes in the way the female side is interpreted.

Change is part of life. It happens in work, school, marriage and similiary it also occurs in soccer clubs. You will figure this out in the next year as the OPL will also be required to change. Change can be a very positive thing.

Comment

PTFC/Thorns Academy GU14 Tryouts?

Yes, Ptfc alliance gu14-16 will have their own us club team number. This has been approved by us club and oysa who both have to sign off on it.
                                Yes, the thorns academy teams will use league games to prepare for ecnl events.
                                The long term goal is to combine ecnl with the current mls DA Program and create a true elite league that not only gives the best competition but also helps identify talent for college, professional and national teams.
                                This is the wave of the future and I think it's very exciting and a positive step towards consolidating and developing talent

God knows Oregon needs this!
                                What is the source of this information about the PTFC/Thorns Academy as a separate team (and not Thorns ODP) in OYSA from GU14-GU16? The next GU14 club tryouts are in May of 2014. Will there be GU14 tryouts at that time? Who will be the DOC for this club? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X