Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It is time to stop treating minorities as needing special considerations. They are in private and public schools across America like most other students. A 1300 is at the 88%ile and 1400 is at the 92%ile nationally but still won’t be able to predict hard work and future success.
    Dam Right. Families that have lived in this country for a hundred years but because they are not total White they once again get a advantage. Racism against Whites as usual.

Comment

It is also intended to create opportunities for those disadvantaged because of the zip code they're born in to, which is highly correlated to the color of their skin. Public education is the US is not egalitarian. We like to believe the American dream of hard work and perseverance will bring you success, but it just isn't that easy.
      There are no easy answers but some kids are in good ‘zip codes’ with big successful public schools where having a 4.5 GPA ranks them 50th in a competitive large class of juniors and the student from rural city GA with lesser credentials, gpa and test scores will get in. Won’t give specifics but two others on our kid’s soccer team got in to a college that others did not with lesser test scores and gpa but they were ‘minority’.

Comment

The admitted v.s. enrolled argument seems so strange to me. When I went to college UF was a safety school. The idea that someone would get into both UF and say, Yale, and not go to Yale seems unrealistic. The idea that kids need to start worrying about college in middle school is crazy. That is, until you read Jaime Diamond's speech about inequality in America. 40% of our country makes less than $15 per hour? That's crazy - a modest apartment where we live would rent for well over $1000 a month. That leaves $1,400 for food, gas, electricity, and medical insurance. No wonder the competition is so tough - get into college or be poor!
        Read a study today showing how when a bigger % is income is spent on housing then less available for gas, food, medical care. Quality of health and life is directly related to being able to spend less % of income on housing.

Comment

The difference between a 1300 and 1400 score is huge. As a second generation immigrant and a first generation college graduate, I find the assertion that minorities are disadvantage quite flawed Both my kids were accepted into private universities but in the end; free is free. They did not have bright futures in Florida scholars when I was a kid so working Was a necessity while going to college. I’ve busted my butt to ensure my kids don’t have to go through the same thing. We are not wealthy but I pray to God my kids are and that my grandkids or even wealthier after that. Work hard study hard And keep what you earn And pass it on To your children’s children.
          College is a job in itself but many students work or have internships throughout college. Wealth does not equal happiness or success. Plenty of high school students are living in small homes with lower to middle family household incomes who are making the grades and test scores, and they don’t need college admissions to give them Special advantages in being admitted just because of their ‘zip code’, wealth, or color of the skin.

Comment

Look what wealth did to those involved in the college bribery scandal. “Donate” to a fake charity and it is a 40% tax write off. There are estimates of 10 million dollars that were written off in that scandal that should have gone in to the public tax fund. Then there is the FBI money to investigate it.

Comment

There are no easy answers but some kids are in good ‘zip codes’ with big successful public schools where having a 4.5 GPA ranks them 50th in a competitive large class of juniors and the student from rural city GA with lesser credentials, gpa and test scores will get in. Won’t give specifics but two others on our kid’s soccer team got in to a college that others did not with lesser test scores and gpa but they were ‘minority’.
              You have absolutely no idea what their grades, test scores, essays etc were. Stop blaming others for your kids' shortcomings.

Comment

Read a study today showing how when a bigger % is income is spent on housing then less available for gas, food, medical care. Quality of health and life is directly related to being able to spend less % of income on housing.
                and the cost of housing, both rentals and ownership, keeps going up while wages have barely moved in the last 15 years. In some high cost areas that have passed higher minimum wage laws it still isn't enough. People can easily spend 50% of their income on housing when the recommended amount is 1/3rd or less. They're literally working just to keep a roof over their heads.

Comment

Dam Right. Families that have lived in this country for a hundred years but because they are not total White they once again get a advantage. Racism against Whites as usual.
                  Divert your local tax dollars to better fund minority school districts. But you won't. It's all about me me me. The way we fund our public schools is f'd up. Improving education overall builds a better society.

Comment

Says the white guy
                    There’s a lot of people who don’t pretend to be victims maricon.

Comment

Divert your local tax dollars to better fund minority school districts. But you won't. It's all about me me me. The way we fund our public schools is f'd up. Improving education overall builds a better society.
                      Damn straight. I work freaking hard to get mine for my family. No desire to redistribute on the lazy, stupid scam artists gaming the system.

Comment

Yes every public school should be as high quality as the next.

Comment

Yes every public school should be as high quality as the next.
                          This is one of the biggest flaws in US education. It isn't that we don't spend enough (we actually rank 5th in the world on $ spent/pupil) but HOW it is spent. Not only are $spent hugely unequal y district, but they're often spent on the wrong things. Example - the big thing here is trying to have smaller classrooms. But if you're in a smaller class with a poor quality teacher it doesn't matter. Richer districts can afford to pay for better teachers. Many other countries have bigger average classes but spend much more on their teachers. Teaching is a honored profession that pays well. To become a teacher you have to have outstanding academics to attend teaching graduate programs. The old phrase "those who can't, teach" just isn't a thing. then there's the push to continually cut education spending in this country (Trump wants to slice $7B this year alone; many states have cut their budgets as well). We have teachers who have to work a 2nd job to make ends meet, some even going on public assistance. Some states and districts are going to four day weeks to try and save some $.

It takes voters mobilizing and demanding better. Instead voters in good districts want to hoard their resources. Better off families just send their kids to private schools. Educational inequality can last a lifetime. I'm not talking about the stellar students who can (sometimes) find a way, but the average student. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Comment

This is one of the biggest flaws in US education. It isn't that we don't spend enough (we actually rank 5th in the world on $ spent/pupil) but HOW it is spent. Not only are $spent hugely unequal y district, but they're often spent on the wrong things. Example - the big thing here is trying to have smaller classrooms. But if you're in a smaller class with a poor quality teacher it doesn't matter. Richer districts can afford to pay for better teachers. Many other countries have bigger average classes but spend much more on their teachers. Teaching is a honored profession that pays well. To become a teacher you have to have outstanding academics to attend teaching graduate programs. The old phrase "those who can't, teach" just isn't a thing. then there's the push to continually cut education spending in this country (Trump wants to slice $7B this year alone; many states have cut their budgets as well). We have teachers who have to work a 2nd job to make ends meet, some even going on public assistance. Some states and districts are going to four day weeks to try and save some $.

It takes voters mobilizing and demanding better. Instead voters in good districts want to hoard their resources. Better off families just send their kids to private schools. Educational inequality can last a lifetime. I'm not talking about the stellar students who can (sometimes) find a way, but the average student. A rising tide lifts all boats.
                            Let's see, 2 cliche quotes, a call to pay teachers more (surprise), and blaming Trump for a subject that is the responsibility of the state and county.

Brilliant post retard!

Comment

Let's see, 2 cliche quotes, a call to pay teachers more (surprise), and blaming Trump for a subject that is the responsibility of the state and county.

Brilliant post retard!
                              Ironic correct?

I mean, they didn't blame Trump and they pointed out that States have cut their budgets.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you didn't attend school in one of the better districts.

Comment

Ironic correct?

I mean, they didn't blame Trump and they pointed out that States have cut their budgets.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you didn't attend school in one of the better districts.
                                I'm guessing you were busy smoking weed in the parking lot during English class?

(Trump wants to slice $7B this year alone; many states have cut their budgets as well).

Clearly documented. Oops. Missed it, didn't ya? Try again.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X