Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Appreciate the honest answer. I want to be clear, I am a paying customer of what Higher Education is selling. I just like to call out hypocrisy of "academics" who think the curriculum matters. I believe that Bowdoin (or equivalent) could replace ALL the faculty over a 5 year period and about 10 families would care - certainly the east coast equivalent of Lori Loughlin wouldn't care.

Highly selective colleges provide an amazing environment for a teen to transition to adulthood learning, developing, failing, and growing among a finely curated set of peers. That experience builds socialization skills that allow one to effortlessly signal "I am of the educated class" for the rest of their life. You shouldn't need to know your major or future profession as a HS student. College helps you learn along the way.
    "finely curated set of peers." barf. You must be a joy at parties.

Comment

With an open mind like you have, let’s party😷

Comment

psst, that was kind of the point.

Comment

Coming out real soon how much it cost Newton daddy to have son ride Aztecs bench $$$$$

Comment

Appreciate the honest answer. I want to be clear, I am a paying customer of what Higher Education is selling. I just like to call out hypocrisy of "academics" who think the curriculum matters. I believe that Bowdoin (or equivalent) could replace ALL the faculty over a 5 year period and about 10 families would care - certainly the east coast equivalent of Lori Loughlin wouldn't care.

Highly selective colleges provide an amazing environment for a teen to transition to adulthood learning, developing, failing, and growing among a finely curated set of peers. That experience builds socialization skills that allow one to effortlessly signal "I am of the educated class" for the rest of their life. You shouldn't need to know your major or future profession as a HS student. College helps you learn along the way.
            And now you of the educated class are hanging around with us.

Comment

Academic success that breeds professional success over generations is what makes schools great, not one-off periods of athletic success. Ask anyone from an Ivy, Stanford, or a Georgetown whether they would recommend a school based solely on athletics and most of them would tell you that is an afterthought.
              Written by a former Harvard now Stanford professor....

"When I moved from Oxford to Harvard, I was puzzled. My reading of mid-term exam papers suggested that a substantial proportion of my new students wouldn’t have got an interview at Oxford, never mind a place. It was explained to me that a substantial chunk of undergraduates were “legacies” – there because their parents were alumni, especially generous alumni – and another chunk were the beneficiaries of affirmative action or athletics programs. The admissions system was managed by professional administrators, not professors.

The social scientist Charles Murray has argued that a cognitive elite has emerged in America, because smart women meet smart men at places such as Harvard, get married, and have smart children. But if not everyone at Harvard is smart, the theory is weakened. There’s also the problem of reversion to the mean: the biological reality that smart parents don’t necessarily have smart children. Even if they do, parental wealth corrupts offspring, eroding their work ethic. Sooner or later money starts to override merit. Outright racketeering is remarkable only because there are so many legal ways to get mediocre students into the Ivy League."

Comment

Social Darwinism lives!

Comment

Social Darwinism lives!
                  Evolution or intellectual revolution?

Comment

Written by a former Harvard now Stanford professor....

"When I moved from Oxford to Harvard, I was puzzled. My reading of mid-term exam papers suggested that a substantial proportion of my new students wouldn’t have got an interview at Oxford, never mind a place. It was explained to me that a substantial chunk of undergraduates were “legacies” – there because their parents were alumni, especially generous alumni – and another chunk were the beneficiaries of affirmative action or athletics programs. The admissions system was managed by professional administrators, not professors.

The social scientist Charles Murray has argued that a cognitive elite has emerged in America, because smart women meet smart men at places such as Harvard, get married, and have smart children. But if not everyone at Harvard is smart, the theory is weakened. There’s also the problem of reversion to the mean: the biological reality that smart parents don’t necessarily have smart children. Even if they do, parental wealth corrupts offspring, eroding their work ethic. Sooner or later money starts to override merit. Outright racketeering is remarkable only because there are so many legal ways to get mediocre students into the Ivy League."
                    The hardest part about Harvard is getting in, or so the saying goes.

Comment

The hardest part about Harvard is getting in, or so the saying goes.
                      Well the first days are the hardest days, don't you worry any more,
                      Cause when life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door.
                      Think this through with me, let me know your mind,
                      Wo, oh, what I want to know, is are you kind?

Comment

https://www.philly.com/news/admissio...-20190314.html

This was just sent to me from a friend in NJ, basketball player admitted to Penn through the Celtics assist coach was introduced to the program through Singer. Yale is not alone out there and this was in a sport that is considered a money sport in DI, men's basketball.

Comment

https://www.philly.com/news/admissio...-20190314.html

This was just sent to me from a friend in NJ, basketball player admitted to Penn through the Celtics assist coach was introduced to the program through Singer. Yale is not alone out there and this was in a sport that is considered a money sport in DI, men's basketball.
                          There is soooooo much dirty money in mens' college football and basketball - different ways it's done, but it's all about the almighty $.

Comment

Will other Ivy schools be next ?

Comment

There is soooooo much dirty money in mens' college football and basketball - different ways it's done, but it's all about the almighty $.
                              This is nothing new and its not just football and basketball, this sort of stuff has been going on for years. Athletes have always been getting paid off and some of the worst offenders traditionally have been the Ivies where wealthy donors used to pay the tuition for athletes and call it an "endowment". Notorious in the sports like crew.

Comment

Will other Ivy schools be next ?
                                They are all dirty.

Whether they are exposed or not, is simply a question of who is protecting the shield at any given moment in time or circumstance.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X