Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That is true, but that's only for now and it probably isn't much. A college scholarship is forever lost. If the family can afford it god bless, not everyone can. Regardless, she's not having much of a childhood. She's got the new version of stage parents - the social media parent
    they have probably spent the cost of a scholarship many time over already, so if she chooses to go to school, Im sure she can pay for it.

Comment

they have probably spent the cost of a scholarship many time over already, so if she chooses to go to school, Im sure she can pay for it.

Unless they keep burning through all their cash for "her dream"

Comment

Or hire a consultant it seems as the articles are lighting up about the bribery used to get kids into college using sports as the veil.

Comment

On a slightly different note, but still in regards to “women catching up”.....

Heard today on XM Fc radio that there was 61k fans at a recent match to watch Barca vs. Athletico Madrid WOMEN in Spain. That’s amazing.

Comment

It is sickening and sad. Nike made a bad choice on this one. Everything in her life was bought for her by daddy. It’s the exact opposite of the Nike inclusive and go for your dreams campaigns. It’s lets hand the rest of a dream to a rich kid whose dad bought her the first half of the dream and media machine.
            This is similar to the whole admissions scandal. Parents buying access and a Nike Contract by paying to turn their dd into a media presence. More wealthy parents buying the dream for their kid. Wake up Nike. The masses don’t like that.

Comment

https://www.sounderatheart.com/seatt...s-invitational

Score could have been worse (3-0 at half) for US team. What is going on with these youth teams?

Comment

https://www.sounderatheart.com/seatt...s-invitational

Score could have been worse (3-0 at half) for US team. What is going on with these youth teams?
                Didn't post properly. Article notes it should have been worse at half (3-0) based on the amount of possession from Reign but ended 2-1 Reign. Why would they allow Reign to take so many shots; how did Reign have the ball that much?

Comment

Didn't post properly. Article notes it should have been worse at half (3-0) based on the amount of possession from Reign but ended 2-1 Reign. Why would they allow Reign to take so many shots; how did Reign have the ball that much?
                  You expect the U-23 team to beat a pro team like the Reign loaded with USWNT veterans like Rapinoe, Long, etc.?

Comment

You expect the U-23 team to beat a pro team like the Reign loaded with USWNT veterans like Rapinoe, Long, etc.?
                    I agree, not sure what you were expecting. They weren't playing my town's high school girls team!

Comment

Reign played a lot of back ups. So, yes, I expected better. Many of the U23's are camp pros.

Comment

Reign played a lot of back ups. So, yes, I expected better. Many of the U23's are camp pros.
                        What are you talking about? The Reign didn’t rely on backups. Their starting XI played nearly the whole game. Long played a full 90’ and scored off Rapinoe at 70’.

And what’s a “camp pro”? ~90% of that U-23 team hasn’t played on the U-23 before and more than half didn’t play on the U-20 either. Being called up to a NT camp is really meaningless, it’s not an automatic step to a roster spot and international caps. I wouldn’t be surprised that 1/3 of the players on the roster for these preseason NWSL games don’take the roster for Concacaf.

My only criticism is the same one I have for the entire NT process - no consistency! I have no idea what the ID and development methodology is because few can be followed from U-14/15 thru to senior NT. How can I player not be capped at U-15, U-17 or U-20, but suddenly show up on a U-23 roster? Why is there such an over-reliance on filling the U-23 with college players? When will we understand that college players cannot compete with international pro/NT players today?

Comment

What are you talking about? The Reign didn’t rely on backups. Their starting XI played nearly the whole game. Long played a full 90’ and scored off Rapinoe at 70’.

And what’s a “camp pro”? ~90% of that U-23 team hasn’t played on the U-23 before and more than half didn’t play on the U-20 either. Being called up to a NT camp is really meaningless, it’s not an automatic step to a roster spot and international caps. I wouldn’t be surprised that 1/3 of the players on the roster for these preseason NWSL games don’take the roster for Concacaf.

My only criticism is the same one I have for the entire NT process - no consistency! I have no idea what the ID and development methodology is because few can be followed from U-14/15 thru to senior NT. How can I player not be capped at U-15, U-17 or U-20, but suddenly show up on a U-23 roster? Why is there such an over-reliance on filling the U-23 with college players? When will we understand that college players cannot compete with international pro/NT players today?
                          I've been echoing your last paragraph for a long time, even before GDA. Improving the NT isn't just about talent identification but training. Most of a player's training is at his/her club and on his/her own; for older players it's with their college teams. The NT teams don't spend that much time together. The biggest hurdle? School. Friggin' kids need to go school?! JK but that is what happens, not just HS kids but college as well. A HS residency program would be one way to improve kids under the watchful eye of USSF coaches, not clubs around the country. But to fill a quality U23 team only with pro players? I'm sure they could, but is that going to be a quality team? A pro path isn't appealing too all top players - they want to play in college and go to college. But as we know college is like HS on steroids. Player development isn't a college coach's top priority.

Comment

I've been echoing your last paragraph for a long time, even before GDA. Improving the NT isn't just about talent identification but training. Most of a player's training is at his/her club and on his/her own; for older players it's with their college teams. The NT teams don't spend that much time together. The biggest hurdle? School. Friggin' kids need to go school?! JK but that is what happens, not just HS kids but college as well. A HS residency program would be one way to improve kids under the watchful eye of USSF coaches, not clubs around the country. But to fill a quality U23 team only with pro players? I'm sure they could, but is that going to be a quality team? A pro path isn't appealing too all top players - they want to play in college and go to college. But as we know college is like HS on steroids. Player development isn't a college coach's top priority.
                            Maybe the problem is with choosing college players at u23 but constantly taking club recommendations and the wrong players from u12-20! Find more right players earlier even if it means casting a wider net to see more kids. Stop relying on clubs to do the right thing. They mostly do not.

Comment

Seems like this is excuse-making.

To me, the bottom-line is over the the last ten years, the pipeline for quality players to chose the WNT from is broken. Wherever these players are being trained is utter crap. The parents of these players are really proud how many wins they get before puberty, but their development sucks.

I'm disconnected from the women's game now, but the regression in training and development today is evident. Any club producing what they push as high-level players should be ashamed of their model.

The results show it.

Comment

Maybe the problem is with choosing college players at u23 but constantly taking club recommendations and the wrong players from u12-20! Find more right players earlier even if it means casting a wider net to see more kids. Stop relying on clubs to do the right thing. They mostly do not.
                                Totally agree. To your point, here’s a great article that describes the ID process. As I read it, I was surprised at the reliance on club coach recommendation instead of independent NT scouts. In the article, they admit these coaches have little idea what it takes to win international competition, but the NT keeps going back to them for players. That’s the definition of insanity.
                                https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...ytics-scouting

I also agree with the other poster that college gets in the way of NT commitment, but that’s only because we call up up random “best player of this season” for a 6-month cycle rather than those that have come up thru youth NT and then pick the best for a 4 year stretch to get from U-19 to U-23. There is no reason to be still IDing players once they hit 18 years old and are heading off to college. There are no “late bloomers” at that age. If they took a group of kids thru U-15 thru U-18 NT camps and teams and then narrowed it down to a top 50 or so players, there is no reason we couldn’t offer a college-age academy residency to those 50 players in preparation for a NT/pro career. I have to believe the US can afford this and that you can find 50 great players who would make that commitment over college.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X