Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They came back with a pretty attractive package overall which puts our out of pkt about $18,000/yr. It will be tough but Carnegie is a top 3 robotics program and between travel soccer and her robotics competitions, I would wager we spent at least $10,000 last year.
    Robotics is a specialized major. It is worth pursuing an undergrad at Carnegie for that. If she was looking at a degree in English, then stay in state and avoid the debt. My humble opinion.

Comment

Robotics is a specialized major. It is worth pursuing an undergrad at Carnegie for that. If she was looking at a degree in English, then stay in state and avoid the debt. My humble opinion.

We are of the same opinion. Just seeing how to make it work. We saw an autonomous car and AI robots that got her inner geek revved up.

Comment

Curious, when did your daughter know she wanted to major in robotics? My 2020 daughter has high stats but has no clue what she wants to major in.

Comment

Curious, when did your daughter know she wanted to major in robotics? My 2020 daughter has high stats but has no clue what she wants to major in.
          That's totally normal. The other poster's kid may also change her major while in college. That's very common too. Don't pressure her to figure it out but do talk about what things get her jazzed or courses she loved and did well in. Focus on schools that offer a broad range of majors to give her exposure to different areas of study. Most times they do figure it out, even though at times you worry they never will.

Comment

We are of the same opinion. Just seeing how to make it work. We saw an autonomous car and AI robots that got her inner geek revved up.
            She's focusing on a high paying, hot career path, she's female (not common in engineering and she'll be sought after by employers) and is going to a top school. Taking on debt is scary but in her case it will be worth it.

Comment

They came back with a pretty attractive package overall which puts our out of pkt about $18,000/yr. It will be tough but Carnegie is a top 3 robotics program and between travel soccer and her robotics competitions, I would wager we spent at least $10,000 last year.
              Fantastic deal to attend a top school in her field? Take the offer and run with it.

But her a good winter coat and boots :)

Comment

Student size = school resources = investment in staff and facilities = quality instructors

Basic economics. Enrollment size is definitely an indicator.
                You are a moron. With that argument you would say Caltech and MIT would not have quality instructors.

Comment

Many of the D3 schools seem financially out of reach for my dd. Our EFC is $40k, but in realty it will be half that amount. Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Comment

You are a moron. With that argument you would say Caltech and MIT would not have quality instructors.
                    When one starts off a response with an insult, you know that the previous statement is true. Thanks for playing. Here's some more info for you. Good luck!

https://www.hookedonphonics.com/tag/comprehension/

Comment

Her brother got into Lego Robotics in Jr. High and she had to do everything he did. They were building drone kits freshman year. For the cost of one LCD TV and a couple of lamps, it seems well worth it now. (my wife still busts my butt over that one) By the end of high school they were building these little bug things that moved around on their own.

Soccer and baseball were important because they taught my kids how to get along ans work with others toward a goal but we tried to balance that with the all the cool geek stuff they seemed interested in during the summers.

Have your daughter check out DFROBOT. For $50, ton of fun watching your mother in laws cat get terrorized.

Comment

Many of the D3 schools seem financially out of reach for my dd. Our EFC is $40k, but in realty it will be half that amount. Congratulations to you and your daughter.
                        Thank you. I was told not enough girls apply to STEM schools. Ratios are like 70/30 - men/women at most of them. My son got less at GT and works as a TA to offset expenses. My understanding is that many STEM schools bend over backwards to get bright young women to attend.

I am also guessing if she had made the team there, it may have been a little better.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X