Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We can debate about the "elite" and the "elite" players nationally, but the top players in Oregon are NOT playing Thorns DA.

Not sure where you got "they have bought in and are not looking back". After 1 year, you had 4 of the top clubs in the country drop out of DA. These clubs do have "elite" talent. This next year you will have another 3 or 4 drop out. Crossfire Premier has already committed to doing ECNL after this season.
    I hope Crossfire Premier is doing ECNL next year. I heard the opposite, they were being forced to drop the ECNL program and only keep DA. Many parents prefer ECNL, they are just forced to have DA to keep in line with the boys' program.

Comment

This is an awkward year because top teams pulled out at the last minute not giving other teams a chance to make moves. ECNL will get more top teams next year.

A lot of kids just don't like the DA format.

I sure hope they make changes. Competition is good for the consumer.

The boys DA was not a happy place in my opinion. Kids didn't get the good competition and it took a lot of the fun and joy out of the game for kids I talked to.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2405888]The boys DA was not a happy place in my opinion. Kids didn't get the good competition and it took a lot of the fun and joy out of the game for kids I talked to.[/QUOTE

Kids say the #1 reason they play soccer is for fun. If it isn’t fun, kids get burned out and quit or just leave DA/GDA and return to a local team that is more fun. That goes for any team or program. OTOH, academies are really only looking for the super rare players that might be national team material so they don’t care about losing players that want to have fun.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2406465]
          The boys DA was not a happy place in my opinion. Kids didn't get the good competition and it took a lot of the fun and joy out of the game for kids I talked to.[/QUOTE

Kids say the #1 reason they play soccer is for fun. If it isn’t fun, kids get burned out and quit or just leave DA/GDA and return to a local team that is more fun. That goes for any team or program. OTOH, academies are really only looking for the super rare players that might be national team material so they don’t care about losing players that want to have fun.
          You can’t possibly be serious. The academy is looking for the super rare B team bench player that doesn’t care if soccer is fun?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2406490]

You can’t possibly be serious. The academy is looking for the super rare B team bench player that doesn’t care if soccer is fun?
            For girls, it is assumed that most elite players want balance and to get to play high school. You only get to pick from the pool of kids that come out? If that’s B team players that is what you get. You can’t make players appear out of thin air.

Comment

Meanwhile Oregon teams don’t ever get to play PDA or Michigan hawks because they aren’t good.

Meanwhile you are justifying your case of 90% of Ecnl teams are bad by pointing out 3....

Keep trying to live in the shadow of others while you lie about 90% of the gutted teams in that league.
              To add some real factual information.In the socalsoccer forum a poster with a whole lot of time on his hands and a statistics background ran the the entire DA season through the College RPI model and the top 20 GDA clubs for 2017-2018 season :
              1 NTH Tophat (1, 6, 3, 5) Avg: 3.75
              2 FC Dallas (3, 1, 1, 25) Avg: 7.5
              3 Solar Soccer Club (23, 2, 8, 4) Avg: 9.25
              4 Legends FC (6, 8, 14, 14) Avg: 10.5
              5 Penn Fusion Soccer Academy (5, 22, 6, 11) Avg: 11
              *6 Sky Blue - PDA (20, 11, 9, 7) Avg: 11.75
              7 San Diego Surf (4, 7, 32, 6) Avg: 12.25
              *8 LAFC Slammers (21, 26, 4, 1) Avg: 13
              9 Real Colorado (2, 30, 10, 12) Avg: 13.5
              *10 Concorde Fire (19, 14, 12, 13) Avg: 14.5
              *11 Eclipse Select Soccer Club (17, 9, 25, 10) Avg: 15.25
              12 Beach Futbol Club (7, 3, 31, 23) Avg: 16
              13 Cincinnati Development Academy (10, 19, 13, 27) Avg: 17.25
              14 Crossfire Premier (36, 29, 5, 2) Avg: 18
              15 NC Courage (14, 28, 33, 3) Avg: 19.5
              16 LA Galaxy San Diego (13, 16, 21, 29) Avg: 19.75
              16 Lonestar SC Academy (37, 13, 7, 22) Avg: 19.75
              *18 Michigan Hawks (29, 10, 24, 17) Avg: 20
              18 Real So Cal (11, 44, 17, 8) Avg: 20
              20 Nationals (16, 27, 2, 40) Avg: 21.2

the Five asterisks * are the clubs that left GDA for ECNL "All-In"
              College RPI has its flaws but it is an actual existing model as opposed to a lot of peoples opinions which all conflict

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2406499]

For girls, it is assumed that most elite players want balance and to get to play high school. You only get to pick from the pool of kids that come out? If that’s B team players that is what you get. You can’t make players appear out of thin air.
                High school soccer isn’t very good. Why do kids like it? Friends. Hundreds of fans in the stands. Large groups of peers celebrating post game. It is fun.

Comment

If my kid is a bench player for a local club can I bring them to the thorns for a shot at the national team? She’s not very good but she’s also not good at other things so why not give it a shot? If I can keep her busy with national team duties and traveling internationally I won’t have to listen to her whining about girl “stuff”.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2406512]

If my kid is a bench player for a local club can I bring them to the thorns for a shot at the national team? She’s not very good but she’s also not good at other things so why not give it a shot? If I can keep her busy with national team duties and traveling internationally I won’t have to listen to her whining about girl “stuff”.
                    Your post does not apply to our experience or our daughters with the Thorns at all. About as far from the truth as you can get. Each Thorns team has a different team make-up and experience, as does each player, but this true for different aged OYSA and ECNL club teams too. Very few clubs in the nation manage a consistently satisfied and consistently high player level base across every team in their club. To whoever is reading this, the experience with our child on her Thorns team with her teammates has been very good. I know of a player on a different aged Thorns team that is not as satisfied. Check out the specific coach, learn about the teammates and the team’s upcoming season’s tournament and league competition as you evaluate ahead of tryouts in May. Life is about specific experiences, not the overreaching dogma the previous poster is spewing.

Comment

Nobody is looking for B team players. Coaches don’t dictate who comes to tryouts. Use some common sense!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2406512]

When filling out paperwork be sure to check the National Team box in the upper left corner if there is one.

Comment

I hope Crossfire Premier is doing ECNL next year. I heard the opposite, they were being forced to drop the ECNL program and only keep DA. Many parents prefer ECNL, they are just forced to have DA to keep in line with the boys' program.
                          It is confirmed that Crossfire Premier will be doing ECNL only for girls next year, but will still keep the boy's DA program.

Comment

It is confirmed that Crossfire Premier will be doing ECNL only for girls next year, but will still keep the boy's DA program.
                            There goes the neighborhood. Crossfire WA Ecnl was struggling horribly. Now Oregon teams are back down to the bottom of the barrel.

DA will only have one team in the entire state of Washington now?

DA in Oregon isn’t doing great, what is the future for DA for girls in general?

Comment

There goes the neighborhood. Crossfire WA Ecnl was struggling horribly. Now Oregon teams are back down to the bottom of the barrel.

Boys national Club DA year 13 and counting...
                              Still rolling.
                              Girls national DA year 2 greased lightning.

Comment

Not sure I buy Crossfire is leaving GDA, but if they do, I don't see how Reign can sustain it up there by themselves. These travel costs are going to get crazy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X