Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which clubs could go under in 2020/21

The coronavirus will have a lasting impact on the business of youth soccer just like so many other businesses. Worried many clubs may go under including my kid’s. What do you think the landscape will look like after the dust settles and we get through this crisis? Will people still want to and afford to spend top $ on youth soccer? Stay safe and let’s get back out there soon, hopefully this season again.

Clubs that stop with the nonsense and reduce fees will survive. Smart owners will be ahead of the curve. This crisis will hurt many families. 4K to play ECNL after this crisis is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Clubs that stop with the nonsense and reduce fees will survive. Smart owners will be ahead of the curve. This crisis will hurt many families. 4K to play ECNL after this crisis is a joke.
      Agree ECNL is a joke, other more affordable and in some cases better academies out there, STA and PSA just to name a couple.

Comment

I would imagine landscape will change. Clubs will fold but new ones will form. Some players from more expensive clubs will move to cheaper ones. Mid tier players may move away from clubs and join tournament teams while moving to cheaper teams. Basically the same movement that usually happens year to year just more of it. Biggest issue though will be coach/trainer movement. Clubs may stick around but the everyday coaches and trainers may move around.

Comment

Agree ECNL is a joke, other more affordable and in some cases better academies out there, STA and PSA just to name a couple.
          Funny, Those were the 2 clubs I would think could possibly fold. STA is definitely in trouble

Comment

Are coaches who are here on work visas eligible for the stimulus or unemployment? I would guess no but don’t know the answer. That could have a large impact on clubs who rely on bringing in UK coaches.

Comment

Are coaches who are here on work visas eligible for the stimulus or unemployment? I would guess no but don’t know the answer. That could have a large impact on clubs who rely on bringing in UK coaches.
              They are not only for citizens

Comment

They are not only for citizens
                legal residents at this point in time.

Comment

Unless people know in depth finances and operating revenues, speculating on what clubs could go under is conjecture. On the surface the question and thread appears to bait posters that have flooded other threads with their personal gripes against clubs and or trainers.

Otherwise, it is tough to look under the hood and see a club's finances as there is no requirement for a private for profit company to do divulge finances at this point. But you can look at cost vs enrollment, field costs, league costs, tournament and coaching costs. Is the soccer club a youth soccer franchise? Also, will parents have the funds to support the travel costs if the economy is slow to return to it's former pace?

For profit clubs that operate B, C, and D teams also compete with town travel programs. This is where the customer base could shift. Is the club's brand or a league's brand worth the cost of a B-D team customer vs a town travel's A Team cost and value to that player?

Comment

Unless people know in depth finances and operating revenues, speculating on what clubs could go under is conjecture. On the surface the question and thread appears to bait posters that have flooded other threads with their personal gripes against clubs and or trainers.

Otherwise, it is tough to look under the hood and see a club's finances as there is no requirement for a private for profit company to do divulge finances at this point. But you can look at cost vs enrollment, field costs, league costs, tournament and coaching costs. Is the soccer club a youth soccer franchise? Also, will parents have the funds to support the travel costs if the economy is slow to return to it's former pace?

For profit clubs that operate B, C, and D teams also compete with town travel programs. This is where the customer base could shift. Is the club's brand or a league's brand worth the cost of a B-D team customer vs a town travel's A Team cost and value to that player?
                    I think value is the key word here - if people think whatever their kid is getting from whatever the level they play at whatever club - they will be continue to pay what they can. For sure the crisis is going to make people examine how they spend their money and the clubs, and or teams that don’t provide value will be the ones hurt the most. It will be much harder for people to justify spending a boat load of money on soccer if there is little to no return on that money. It all comes down to economics! If what you are offering is a great product you will have the customers, if your product is weak they will not stick around.

Comment

Funny, Those were the 2 clubs I would think could possibly fold. STA is definitely in trouble
                      Not affiliated with STA but you really don't understand the landscape if you think they will fold.

PDA, WC, STA and CSA will all be fine. Other clubs outside those 4 are all at risk in some way.

Comment

I think value is the key word here - if people think whatever their kid is getting from whatever the level they play at whatever club - they will be continue to pay what they can. For sure the crisis is going to make people examine how they spend their money and the clubs, and or teams that don’t provide value will be the ones hurt the most. It will be much harder for people to justify spending a boat load of money on soccer if there is little to no return on that money. It all comes down to economics! If what you are offering is a great product you will have the customers, if your product is weak they will not stick around.
                        MF has a very weak product with a big cost. I hope they adjust before asking us to commit to fall. I really want to keep my child with her friends.

Comment

MF has a very weak product with a big cost. I hope they adjust before asking us to commit to fall. I really want to keep my child with her friends.
                          difference between pda and mfa is capital ownership of their assets as well as status of the trainers.

pda has a tax free ownership of the fields, mfa rents their fields and are in a long term contract.

for multiple pda trainers, its their second job. for multiple mfa trainers, its their only job.

Comment

difference between pda and mfa is capital ownership of their assets as well as status of the trainers.

pda has a tax free ownership of the fields, mfa rents their fields and are in a long term contract.

for multiple pda trainers, its their second job. for multiple mfa trainers, its their only job.
                            It’s amazing with it being their only job how bad the training has become for the cost parents pay vs other clubs.

Comment

It’s amazing with it being their only job how bad the training has become for the cost parents pay vs other clubs.
                              So true and yet so many people stick around....why??

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X