Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Clubs Offer Partial Refunds

Just as the title asks, should clubs offer partial refunds to their players?

none

If on a traveling team (ECNL, DA, etc), then I would think the club should refund any pre-paid travel... right? The team should refund any team fees, but that can't be finalized until the status of the season is more clear. Any team fee not used should always be refunded.
    In terms of club fees, I don't know. I would hope the coaches continue to get paid (and continue to work-- hold online sessions, send video analysis, etc) during this time.
    Do kids that suffer season ending injuries get club fee refunds?

Comment

This is different than refunding one or two families in a season when kids are injured. I think families who can sustain the loss should try to let the refund go, since this crisis may cause some clubs to collapse. Everyone's financial situation is different and the picture changes daily, but if we can all be generous in big and small ways right now, according to our ability, it will go a long way toward sustaining this community as a whole.

Comment

Many families are being financially impacted by the CV. This is only going to create a wider gap between those who will be available to afford pay to play going into the future and those who will no longer be able to. Hopefully to keep the sport alive, clubs will creatively come up with new participation models that are affordable to the masses and not the few. I imagine Rec teams and leagues will have greater participation now because paying for select or premier won’t be doable.

Comment

none

For travel, Seattle United ECNL charges players on a per-trip basis (only pay if you go, and billed a few weeks before the trip), and so obviously will not bill for any of the canceled ECNL trips.
          Is this the same with the other ECNL clubs? Reign?

Comment

It would be nice to talk about this topic beyond DA and ECNL.

Comment

No. Clubs would need to pay off their coaches if they did that. Enough people are losing their jobs and don’t have health insurance. If it’s a hardship and you can’t pay your club fees, the club isn’t likely to try to chase you down to pay.

Comment

If your club rents practice fields, you will get that portion back. If you had games schedules, you will get ref fees back. If your team pays for coach travel, you will get that back.

Obviously if you paid in advanced for travel fees, you will get that back.

.....expect and ask for what you feel you deserve. If you get any push back, note to self not to pay anything in advance next year.

Comment

none

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  If your club rents practice fields, you will get that portion back. If you had games schedules, you will get ref fees back. If your team pays for coach travel, you will get that back.

Obviously if you paid in advanced for travel fees, you will get that back.

.....expect and ask for what you feel you deserve. If you get any push back, note to self not to pay anything in advance next year.
                  This is all doubtful. Your club fees are not tied to "x" hours of field time and "x" referee costs, etc. You will not get a refund for these costs. This is not how it works. But keep dreaming.

Comment

Tournaments starting to invoke “Act of God” cancellation clauses and only offer partial refunds or deferment to future events. I’m sure it was in the application agreement but, wow, that’s a bad look right now...

Clubs will start to do the same thing and the fallout will kill them.

Comment

This is how it works

This is all doubtful. Your club fees are not tied to "x" hours of field time and "x" referee costs, etc. You will not get a refund for these costs. This is not how it works. But keep dreaming.
                      It is called cost allocation. Clubs should know this and members refunded for cost not incurred.

Comment

none

It is called cost allocation. Clubs should know this and members refunded for cost not incurred.
                        Cost allocation is not in the financial contract you have between player and club. If I am wrong, please send me an example that says your club fee is tied to cost allocation, and you get a refund for any costs no incurred.

Comment

I can tell you that you most likley wont see any refunds from club dues. The clubs are going to have a hard enough time trying to collect remaining dues, especially from those that probably wont be continuing their soccer careers at a so called Premier Club.

Time to bring back the neighborhood club teams for all U-Littles.

Comment

My experience is that most Clubs don’t operate on a cost allocation basis. A lot of them use money collected this month to pay last months bills. Any dues they haven’t collected is likely a loss as the posted above said. They are going to have severe cash flow problems without offering refunds, let alone with them. It’s going to be a disaster that certainly destroy at least a few. Wait until angry parents start taking to social media...

Comment

Cost allocation is not in the financial contract you have between player and club. If I am wrong, please send me an example that says your club fee is tied to cost allocation, and you get a refund for any costs no incurred.
                              Much like your cable company will not be refunding you for the lack of programming on espn, and private schools are not pro-rating tuition for missed time in class, this is not happening.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X