Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth soccer landscape in RI

Anyone with thoughts on the current direction of RI youth soccer?

Some my observations:
    Super Liga is still around as the "travel" alternative, but league play seems to be dominated by a few teams that are loaded up with club players. There have been a few ideas thrown out there for "all-star" leagues before/after the main fall/spring seasons but nothing seems to have happened. The town select programs seems to have fizzled a bit, and some of those programs have merged with the larger clubs. Liverpool is expanding, seemingly at the expense of Bayside and its regional teams, and maybe taking some from NEFC

Are we headed in a direction that is developing/retaining RI youth soccer players? A lot of the young talent, especially on the girls' side, still seems to be headed to Massachusetts.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Some my observations:
    Super Liga is still around as the "travel" alternative, but league play seems to be dominated by a few teams that are loaded up with club players. There have been a few ideas thrown out there for "all-star" leagues before/after the main fall/spring seasons but nothing seems to have happened. The town select programs seems to have fizzled a bit, and some of those programs have merged with the larger clubs. Liverpool is expanding, seemingly at the expense of Bayside and its regional teams, and maybe taking some from NEFC

Are we headed in a direction that is developing/retaining RI youth soccer players? A lot of the young talent, especially on the girls' side, still seems to be headed to Massachusetts.
    This is a good conversation. When I ask myself why do I put my kid in club to be honest it’s because the club training/practices are better than what we experience with town. It is also because of the town politics and that’s in every town. I’m avoiding the coach playing their favorite players and their child all the time.
    I’m sad to see that we feel we have to go the club route to get the kids to the next level.
    RI has so much talent! Each town needs to make player development their focus. There are good coaches out there too. It would be nice if more passionate moms and dads get involved in coaching and learning how to develop players. If the town provided coaching training or partnered with academies the teams would be stronger.
    Lincoln is a good example of offering good training to their town year round partnering with Liverpool and providing solid training.
    One concern I have is a “ town “team filled with all players from one club. We noticed this trend last fall, over the winter, and coming spring their are “town teams” that are really club teams signing up as a town team under a new name. I Think capping the town team to 3-4 club players from the same team would be better. When you have 75% of a team all play for the same club the town team no longer feels like a town team it feels like another opportunity for the club team to get together to play and dominate the town teams with mostly non club players. Not all families can afford club. Let’s keep Town soccer about players representing their towns not their clubs.

Comment

Some my observations:

Where is Liverpool expanding? Have not seen them anywhere. Are they still even in Lincoln or did that collapse?

Comment

This is a good conversation. When I ask myself why do I put my kid in club to be honest it’s because the club training/practices are better than what we experience with town. It is also because of the town politics and that’s in every town. I’m avoiding the coach playing their favorite players and their child all the time.
        I’m sad to see that we feel we have to go the club route to get the kids to the next level.
        RI has so much talent! Each town needs to make player development their focus. There are good coaches out there too. It would be nice if more passionate moms and dads get involved in coaching and learning how to develop players. If the town provided coaching training or partnered with academies the teams would be stronger.
        Lincoln is a good example of offering good training to their town year round partnering with Liverpool and providing solid training.
        One concern I have is a “ town “team filled with all players from one club. We noticed this trend last fall, over the winter, and coming spring their are “town teams” that are really club teams signing up as a town team under a new name. I Think capping the town team to 3-4 club players from the same team would be better. When you have 75% of a team all play for the same club the town team no longer feels like a town team it feels like another opportunity for the club team to get together to play and dominate the town teams with mostly non club players. Not all families can afford club. Let’s keep Town soccer about players representing their towns not their clubs.
        As a coach of a town team, I'll defend the "coach plays his all the time" point, at least from the perspective I have. Most coaches' kids that I know are the best players. The coaches are "soccer" guys and their sons grew up in that atmosphere, have been playing since they could walk, and are just a level above the kids whose parents put them on the team to get some fresh air and exercise, and otherwise goof around.

I do my best to make sure everyone plays at least 50% of the games, but there are a few players, my son included, who need to be on the field more to make sure the whole team doesn't fall apart out there.

Comment

Where is Liverpool expanding? Have not seen them anywhere. Are they still even in Lincoln or did that collapse?
          Liverpool has teams in Tiverton/Portsmouth Fall River called SW. not collapsing actually gaining momentum and good players. Parents are happy.
          They are also in Barrington.

Comment

Liverpool has teams in Tiverton/Portsmouth Fall River called SW. not collapsing actually gaining momentum and good players. Parents are happy.
            They are also in Barrington.
            I Liverpool kind of the Rams of the north? Not quite high-level club soccer, but better quality than town?

Speaking of Rams, I see they've updated their website for the first time in several years (although there are still coaches on there who I know are long gone). It appears they're partnering with Challenger now. I don't know if that will attract more players or drive some players away.

Comment

I Liverpool kind of the Rams of the north? Not quite high-level club soccer, but better quality than town?

Speaking of Rams, I see they've updated their website for the first time in several years (although there are still coaches on there who I know are long gone). It appears they're partnering with Challenger now. I don't know if that will attract more players or drive some players away.
              Actually no Liverpool is really looking good it’s exactly what we wanted. Lots of opportunities to play and develop. High quality training and coaching. Young players with talent. I know some of the other clubs want to put it down but it’s a good program.

Let’s focus on the landscape of soccer in RI as the OP wrote so well. It’s always a bummer when a great post comes out and it quickly turns into club bashing.

Comment

Actually no Liverpool is really looking good it’s exactly what we wanted. Lots of opportunities to play and develop. High quality training and coaching. Young players with talent. I know some of the other clubs want to put it down but it’s a good program.

Let’s focus on the landscape of soccer in RI as the OP wrote so well. It’s always a bummer when a great post comes out and it quickly turns into club bashing.
                I wasn't bashing Liverpool, I actually think highly of Rams (were you backhandedly bashing Rams?). They have some good teams. They just aren't "NEP Premiership" level like some of the bigger clubs, at least not at the younger ages. I believe they have some pretty good teams at the older ages though. I've only seen one Liverpool team play, so I can't really comment on club-wide quality.

Looking at where Liverpool teams are placed in NEP, I'd say they're at around the same competitive level as Rams, and that's not meant to malign either team.

Comment

I wasn't bashing Liverpool, I actually think highly of Rams (were you backhandedly bashing Rams?). They have some good teams. They just aren't "NEP Premiership" level like some of the bigger clubs, at least not at the younger ages. I believe they have some pretty good teams at the older ages though. I've only seen one Liverpool team play, so I can't really comment on club-wide quality.

Looking at where Liverpool teams are placed in NEP, I'd say they're at around the same competitive level as Rams, and that's not meant to malign either team.
                  Would it be appropriate to say Liverpool is on par with Mach1?

Comment

Would it be appropriate to say Liverpool is on par with Mach1?
                    Since the Liverpool teams are new to this region they are not starting out at the top level for their schedule because quite obviously the kids are getting to know one another and the coaches start them lower and move them up gradually just as you would do in town or any new region. So don’t judge this club based on record yet. Too new. Know that the parents are happy, kids are developing and it’s a quality program focused on player development not winning at all costs.

Comment

Some my observations:

We should cap the number of club players from the same club on one team. Towns and clubs should work with each other instead of against each other. They should support each other since both are valid. The town games are starting to land mainly on Sat and club on Sundays for younger kids. That would be great for the older kids. If towns compete in one weekend of tournaments maybe the clubs could back off and not compete that same weekend so the town team doesn’t lose players. I’m not sure what going to happen w RI soccer but I believe it has to be a cooperative environment between towns and clubs.

Comment

Since the Liverpool teams are new to this region they are not starting out at the top level for their schedule because quite obviously the kids are getting to know one another and the coaches start them lower and move them up gradually just as you would do in town or any new region. So don’t judge this club based on record yet. Too new. Know that the parents are happy, kids are developing and it’s a quality program focused on player development not winning at all costs.
                        A question for this forum is whether Liverpool in RI (Southwest?) can ultimately to build/develop at least one team in each age group that is equivalent to the MA (Southeast) teams.

Comment

We should cap the number of club players from the same club on one team. Towns and clubs should work with each other instead of against each other. They should support each other since both are valid. The town games are starting to land mainly on Sat and club on Sundays for younger kids. That would be great for the older kids. If towns compete in one weekend of tournaments maybe the clubs could back off and not compete that same weekend so the town team doesn’t lose players. I’m not sure what going to happen w RI soccer but I believe it has to be a cooperative environment between towns and clubs.
                          The Sunday-only club games are true up to U10, but that starts changing in U11. The big tournaments all try to occupy the same long weekends.

Bigger picture, I agree. There should be some way that town and club can work to complement each other, but it seems that both sides have their own incentives for not doing that.

Comment

The Sunday-only club games are true up to U10, but that starts changing in U11. The big tournaments all try to occupy the same long weekends.

Bigger picture, I agree. There should be some way that town and club can work to complement each other, but it seems that both sides have their own incentives for not doing that.
                            Simple, follows MA rule. Town and Rec play on Saturday and club on Sunday. In doing so also kids to play soccer.

Comment

Simple, follows MA rule. Town and Rec play on Saturday and club on Sunday. In doing so also kids to play soccer.
                              The increasing weekend conflicts starting at u11 are based on the MA schedules (NEP/ECNL/DA).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X