Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DA is dead

Look at local MLS club roster @ NYCFC has dozens of kids (probably the best of the area except for Barca ;) many playing up 1, 2, 3 years and still pounds the competition. I mean there '05 team just beat the U17 Westchester FC club and don't look at the scores for the lower age groups unless you want to be sick. No way MLS academys want to play with these so-called DA teams any more.

NYCFC is one of the top clubs in the country across most age groups. They are an outlier. Other MLS clubs not nearly as dominant. Is the Premier League dead because Liverpool dominates? I'm ignoring the Barca reference because I'm assuming it was made in jest.

Comment

Agreed. you cant look at NYCFC. They are one of the absolute best academies in the country and they have to get players from somewhere and it is by scouting at their games. Theyve also been able to bring players through to sign contracts and play pro, so it isnt as if theyre not seeing any payoff.

Comment

yes NYSCS has does a great job in a short amount of time. But that doesn't change the fact that many if not most MLS clubs want out of DA. For the most part their teams are significantly better than many non MLS teams. Their players get very little out of playing weaker teams. MLS clubs are putting serious money in to their programs and want more say in how they handle things rather than USSF calling the shots. USSF knows they're screwed without MLS clubs in the system so they granted a temporary measure by having U19 teams split into two tiers this year (basically MLS vs non MLS B teams). That will likely expand next year to U17s. If you're in a B group, a big part of the appeal of DA is now gone - you now almost never play the professional clubs.

Long term MLS will pull out, run things their own way, start more residency programs and also use USL as their feeder/farm team system. Pay-to-play pricey youth clubs for those that can afford it are not of any interest to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          yes NYSCS has does a great job in a short amount of time. But that doesn't change the fact that many if not most MLS clubs want out of DA. For the most part their teams are significantly better than many non MLS teams. Their players get very little out of playing weaker teams. MLS clubs are putting serious money in to their programs and want more say in how they handle things rather than USSF calling the shots. USSF knows they're screwed without MLS clubs in the system so they granted a temporary measure by having U19 teams split into two tiers this year (basically MLS vs non MLS B teams). That will likely expand next year to U17s. If you're in a B group, a big part of the appeal of DA is now gone - you now almost never play the professional clubs.

Long term MLS will pull out, run things their own way, start more residency programs and also use USL as their feeder/farm team system. Pay-to-play pricey youth clubs for those that can afford it are not of any interest to them.
          Agree with just about everything except USL being a feeder system. They have no money and resources to do anything and unless they were going to recoup losses via transfer fees. I think it's a slippery slope though since it would be a one way system with USL getting transfer fees for players going to MLS academies but not paying them for players they steal from other clubs.

Comment

Did you forget oakwood a small club from middle of nowhere ct just beat red bulls?

Comment

http://www.ussoccerda.com/20191204-R...at-Game-Opener

Comment

Did you forget oakwood a small club from middle of nowhere ct just beat red bulls?
                18/19s? all of the best red bulls are playing pro or doing something else. Sorry, you mean to tell me that OWs team of mostly 2002s, and some 2003s and 2004s beat a solid NYRB team? An OW team that tied BS and lost to Cedar Stars and lost their other 2 games in FL. Good luck with that ... something is amiss ..... likely the NYRB team is full of kids that couldnt make NYCFC, havent gone pro, or couldnt make their HS Varsity teams. Their best players likely didn't make the trip as they didnt want to pay the money since they are already committed or they left the team to play HS since they are already committed. Sorry chuck, not buying this one .... I know they won, but this NYRB team is NOT what you would have got from them 4-5 years ago or at younger ages. There is more to this story than we know.

Comment

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. OW is another mediocre pay to play club. DA is full of them.

Comment

Agree with just about everything except USL being a feeder system. They have no money and resources to do anything and unless they were going to recoup losses via transfer fees. I think it's a slippery slope though since it would be a one way system with USL getting transfer fees for players going to MLS academies but not paying them for players they steal from other clubs.
                    USL clubs would have to charge some fees to players to cover costs, but not at the same rate as clubs like BS etc.

Comment

USL clubs would have to charge some fees to players to cover costs, but not at the same rate as clubs like BS etc.
                      I think it would be hard to get transfer fees if the parents are splitting or paying the cost of development.

Comment

18/19s? all of the best red bulls are playing pro or doing something else. Sorry, you mean to tell me that OWs team of mostly 2002s, and some 2003s and 2004s beat a solid NYRB team? An OW team that tied BS and lost to Cedar Stars and lost their other 2 games in FL. Good luck with that ... something is amiss ..... likely the NYRB team is full of kids that couldnt make NYCFC, havent gone pro, or couldnt make their HS Varsity teams. Their best players likely didn't make the trip as they didnt want to pay the money since they are already committed or they left the team to play HS since they are already committed. Sorry chuck, not buying this one .... I know they won, but this NYRB team is NOT what you would have got from them 4-5 years ago or at younger ages. There is more to this story than we know.
                        The OP was saying MLS clubs with kids playing up 1, 2 or even 3 years is pounding and blowing out the other clubs. So what are you saying OW was playing a red bulls team that had kids playing up 4 years?

And now the score doesn't count at u18/19 but at the younger ages?

Finally, what about the revolution? How will you defend that team at any age group?

Comment

The OP was saying MLS clubs with kids playing up 1, 2 or even 3 years is pounding and blowing out the other clubs. So what are you saying OW was playing a red bulls team that had kids playing up 4 years?

Finally, what about the revolution? How will you defend that team at any age group?
                          Everyone knows the Revs blow and aren't putting any effort into their program, but they still do better than a lot of non MLS clubs out there.

Comment

I'm saying it is apparent NYRB did not send their best players to FL!

Comment

OP and I think there is already teams and clubs mls academys want to play (i don't know oakwood) that are consistently good like pda and they will break off and keep there own version of da. they are doiing it allready with the tiering at the older age but seeing scores like 10-0, 6-0, that seems like a waste of a game for u13, u14 players. hard to see how mls academys continue to pay for the lower age groups if that continues so either da is dead or will contract age groups further

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X