Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECNL vs DA for a talented player

As I understand the MLS and national team will be looking more or less only at kids from DA from now on, so you should want the best players to go DA. But a lot of top clubs still try to play ECNL, some even dumping DA for ECNL, but why? The writing on the wall is that if you want to go pro, you need to be DA. But how does the DA compare to ECNL for college development? If a kid doesn't want to go pro, but maybe to a good college, is ECNL going to be a preferred avenue for colleges?
    As my kid gets older and wants more of a soccer future which type of club should I try to target? Which would you choose and why?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    As I understand the MLS and national team will be looking more or less only at kids from DA from now on, so you should want the best players to go DA. But a lot of top clubs still try to play ECNL, some even dumping DA for ECNL, but why? The writing on the wall is that if you want to go pro, you need to be DA. But how does the DA compare to ECNL for college development? If a kid doesn't want to go pro, but maybe to a good college, is ECNL going to be a preferred avenue for colleges?
    As my kid gets older and wants more of a soccer future which type of club should I try to target? Which would you choose and why?
    Assume you are referring to boys, not girls?

Comment

have you looked at national commitment numbers for the type of college you are looking for?

compared leagues across the last 2-3 years to figure out trends? then looked at local clubs?

Comment

have you looked at national commitment numbers for the type of college you are looking for?

compared leagues across the last 2-3 years to figure out trends? then looked at local clubs?
        Most of the talented players signed as Walmart players got great starts at small clubs and left out of fear of being left behind. I don't think top players would allow themselves to be overlooked regardless of where they played. Stop the madness parents. The Walmarts take the credit for all of the players created at soany boutiques that replaced all of the kids that they couldn't develop.

Comment

Most of the talented players signed as Walmart players got great starts at small clubs and left out of fear of being left behind. I don't think top players would allow themselves to be overlooked regardless of where they played. Stop the madness parents. The Walmarts take the credit for all of the players created at soany boutiques that replaced all of the kids that they couldn't develop.
          Alliance league is great newly formed league comprised of all top level academies. Check it out!

Comment

Assume you are referring to boys, not girls?
            OP:Is there a difference in the developmental pathway for each? I'm just learning about various league structures and histories (we play in NYCLS) but it seems there is a lot to learn about how the leagues around here work (Long Island). I just sort of figured B & G leagues work the same and they'd funnel toward either a DA team of ECNL team to have the best chance for a soccer career post high school. But I'm starting to think that is just what "the man" wants me to think, so I am trying to arm myself to make smart decisions in the future, not just mindlessly chase this pipeline like everyone else.

Comment

"Walmart players"? Do you mean the kids playing at DA or ECNL clubs?

Comment

Girls: Pick the best local club with the best coaching. There's very little difference in terms of college recruiting as coaches know GDA isn't that great and ECNL still has lots of talent. In this area ECNL has the edge on competitive quality. If you were in CA it would be different, but you're not. More girls want to play HS too. Don't underestimate its draw.

Boys: If you want mid to high level D1 then DA is pretty much a necessity. There are 100 fewer men's D1 programs vs women's and many more international players taking spots. Top 20 D1 is pretty much MLS BDA. If lower D1, D2 or D3 is a more realistic target then DA becomes less important. Again pick the best local club that's a good fit for your player. That also means playing time. Being a bench warmer in a top team won't do him any good. Also keep in mind BDA may go through big changes in the next 1-2 years, including the real possibility of MLS clubs pulling out. If they do then what remains looks much more like ECNL only with more restrictions

Comment

Girls: Pick the best local club with the best coaching. There's very little difference in terms of college recruiting as coaches know GDA isn't that great and ECNL still has lots of talent. In this area ECNL has the edge on competitive quality. If you were in CA it would be different, but you're not. More girls want to play HS too. Don't underestimate its draw.

Boys: If you want mid to high level D1 then DA is pretty much a necessity. There are 100 fewer men's D1 programs vs women's and many more international players taking spots. Top 20 D1 is pretty much MLS BDA. If lower D1, D2 or D3 is a more realistic target then DA becomes less important. Again pick the best local club that's a good fit for your player. That also means playing time. Being a bench warmer in a top team won't do him any good. Also keep in mind BDA may go through big changes in the next 1-2 years, including the real possibility of MLS clubs pulling out. If they do then what remains looks much more like ECNL only with more restrictions
                  Seems you've been around a while and are an insider. thanks for posting something more than club bashing...

Comment

For what its worth, the UmassW coach told me, to my face, that he prefers ECNL players, did not say why, but one can extrapolate....

Comment

OP:Is there a difference in the developmental pathway for each? I'm just learning about various league structures and histories (we play in NYCLS) but it seems there is a lot to learn about how the leagues around here work (Long Island). I just sort of figured B & G leagues work the same and they'd funnel toward either a DA team of ECNL team to have the best chance for a soccer career post high school. But I'm starting to think that is just what "the man" wants me to think, so I am trying to arm myself to make smart decisions in the future, not just mindlessly chase this pipeline like everyone else.
                      In terms of leagues, boys and girls don't exactly share the same pathway. For girls, ECNL has been well-established as the top league in the pyramid for years. GDA is a very recent and somewhat unproven challenger to ECNL, and the debate continues as to which is the better league for recruitment/exposure. I think it is fair to say that the GDA was formed with the intention of overtaking ECNL as the top platform for girls, but hasn't been conclusively accepted as such as of yet. From what I have been told, many college coaches will recruit equally from both ECNL and GDA, with some continuing to have a preference for ECNL players.

For boys, DA is unquestionably the top of the league pyramid, as Boy's ECNL is also a very recent creation and has not existed long enough to establish itself as a challenger. Before anyone goes crazy, I will make the disclaimer that, yes, there are non-DA teams out there that can certainly compete with DA teams, and that there are certainly players in non-DA leagues that could excel at the DA level if given the opportunity; however, from top to bottom, DA remains the strongest league, and is where the majority (not all) of top-level talent goes to play. For example, in clubs with both DA and ECNL teams, the ECNL teams would be considered the "B" team to the DA. Thus, while both leagues have various national and regional showcase/scouting events, I think it would be fair to say that those looking for post high-school options will get more exposure from the DA.

That being said, boys ECNL does remain a solid option for boys who don't (for whatever reason) play at a DA club. ECNL may be a better fit logistically, and does allow for participation in HS soccer (DA does not). The level of play is still high, and the opportunity for being ID'ed by college programs is there.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

[...]

From what I have been told, many college coaches will recruit equally from both ECNL and GDA, with some continuing to have a preference for ECNL players.

[...]

Hope this helps. Good luck.
                        The numbers for D1 commitments around US heavily favor GDA over ECNL with exception of NJ and MA.

Comment

The numbers for D1 commitments around US heavily favor GDA over ECNL with exception of NJ and MA.
                          This is a NY thread. If you want to commute elsewhere in the country for youth soccer, be my guest. For any sane family that is choosing a club within striking distance, that means NY clubs.

You got EM, SUSA or WC for ECNL. You got Fury and LISC, or NYSC for GDA. Pick you poison from that underwhelming list if you want to do the fancy girl's youth soccer thing. Is what it is.

Comment

This is a NY thread. If you want to commute elsewhere in the country for youth soccer, be my guest. For any sane family that is choosing a club within striking distance, that means NY clubs.

You got EM, SUSA or WC for ECNL. You got Fury and LISC, or NYSC for GDA. Pick you poison from that underwhelming list if you want to do the fancy girl's youth soccer thing. Is what it is.
                            Especially on the DA side pretty slim pickings. At least the ECNL teams are somewhat competitive, esp WCFC as they are very good.

Comment

You need more Zoloft, your continued whiny is pathetic, go find a bridge already....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X