Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I heard two 05 from Reign transferred to XF 05 ECNL last week and played in Portland this weekend. I didn't know that XF allowed mid-season transfers. There is 22 on the roster. I can only imagine how p.o. the parents must be. Is this a trend people are seeing in other clubs?
    Must hurt, your b team player ain’t making the a team

Comment

What would a player-first club look like in terms of recruiting? And what does it look like for a club working for your child? I have an 06 daughter who does EPD and plays for a PSPL club (not Reign Reserves). We are considering joining an ECNL team. Can you provide any insight on clubs that do work? Or what we should be looking for?
      Like someone else said, ask around. But Xfire has good visibility with colleges, host a tournament with coached in attendance and a track record of college commits. They also fund ECNL.

PACNW is a stable club that also has a track record of college commits and hosts recruiting events. As I'm typing this, I know somebody's going to comment that some Pac players commit to "lower tier" colleges but their are "higher Tier" commits as well. Seems to me they try to meet the needs of a broad range of players.

Eastide and SU ECNL programs are newer, so hard to say. SU has a college recruiting coordinator who seems like he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer maybe he gets good results? Ask around. The main this is that your kid should write to coaches & invite them to watch her play when she gets to that point.

Comment

Like someone else said, ask around. But Xfire has good visibility with colleges, host a tournament with coached in attendance and a track record of college commits. They also fund ECNL.

PACNW is a stable club that also has a track record of college commits and hosts recruiting events. As I'm typing this, I know somebody's going to comment that some Pac players commit to "lower tier" colleges but their are "higher Tier" commits as well. Seems to me they try to meet the needs of a broad range of players.

Eastide and SU ECNL programs are newer, so hard to say. SU has a college recruiting coordinator who seems like he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer maybe he gets good results? Ask around. The main this is that your kid should write to coaches & invite them to watch her play when she gets to that point.
        This is all really good advice. It seems like a fair and balanced summary of the various programs.

Comment

mid-season transfers

I agree with the poster that said EPD is your best resource. That played heavily into our decision to switch clubs several years ago. My daughter was able to figure out which players she could see herself playing with and the club they were affiliated with. Other players from other clubs didn't seem as skilled or didn't talk about loving their team/coach.

It made for an easy switch since she was able to have some friends on the team and also knew that she could compete with them.

Talking with other parents on the sidelines at EPD practices and tournaments also gave us a feel for the team dynamics.

Comment

What would a player-first club look like in terms of recruiting? And what does it look like for a club working for your child? I have an 06 daughter who does EPD and plays for a PSPL club (not Reign Reserves). We are considering joining an ECNL team. Can you provide any insight on clubs that do work? Or what we should be looking for?
            Omg. Ugh, ok. Do not listen to these misleading 06 parents or coaches pumping up their clubs. Look where your dd is at. Honestly. EPD is nice, but means nothing. Do not get hung up on that. Ask what your dd wants to do: play in colllege, high school, etc. She is probably a 7th or 8th grader. How is puberty and genetics treating her? Injuries? Is she willing to sacrifice in high school to play travel soccer? Grades? What are the end goals here? The will and desire must be here. Otherwise, get off the bus. I am saying this in the kindest way.

Part two: Get off your arse and get to work. Your dd is in a different league, so she can go train with all the clubs. Go call them up and train with them. Mention she does EPD and blah blah blah best thing since sliced bread. The coach will be glad to have her train with the team. The club is always looking for new talent. Look for what they need and see which position she can take over as a starter. Key point. GO WHERE THEY NEED HER. Player first?
            That is on your own time. Ok? Train by herself. Go to privates. Toca. Futsal. Whatever.
            Play time is the key to happiness. Ok? As much as possible playtime. Player first statemtns are from the coaches. Full of bullsheet. Take full control of your dd situation, like finding a new job. Good luck.

Comment

Although XF is the best branded and fully funded club at the ECNL level, unless your playing is decent minutes during games and showcases, the exposure to coaches is virtually none. Imagine traveling to a showcase and only playing in 1 or 2 games out of 3 and getting 40 minutes playing time total for the weekend. Or imagine being told to play a position other than your main position for a showcase when a coach comes to watch you. As said before, you have to compete for playing time but this works against the players at the bottom half of a 26 player pool. When coaches bring down players from the older ages, a lot of players sit on the bench. If your player is one of the best in the league then XF is a good place to land.

PAC does work hard in helping their players get seen and is well connected to college coaches. They do develop their players and their coaches are great. This club has the least amount of player defections from the top teams transferring elsewhere. If anything, they have tons of players from other clubs trying to make their top teams.

WPFC isn't the same club they were five years ago. When GDA happened, then more ECNL clubs joined the league, the dilution of players impacted their program and it hasn't recovered.

EFC - Their Red team before GDA and ECNL expansion was very successful in girls playing in college at top programs. The partnership with Reign hurt the club when their players left for GDA. There will never be a team as special as the EFC Red 98 team again.

SU- Their partnership with Reign took their best players who never returned with the ECNL expansion. Several of former SU girls play on the US Youth National Team as well as camp invites. They used to be known as the club that developed kids before their top players left for one of the two ECNL programs.

The dilution of top tier talent is spread across all those teams. Now that XF and WPFC don't have a monopoly on ECNL talent, you likely won't see another club have the same prestige as both these clubs used to. Find a team your kid will grow as a player and person on. One where they see the field regularly and for a decent amount of playing time.

Comment

mid-season transfers

I think if your end game is college, then look at where the current or past year players at a club have signed. If you have a daughter, has a particular club placed players at schools you think your daughter might be going to. Have they placed 1 or 2, or 20 or more? I feel that is a true indicator of what will happen with your child if college is their end goal.

Comment

I think if your end game is college, then look at where the current or past year players at a club have signed. If you have a daughter, has a particular club placed players at schools you think your daughter might be going to. Have they placed 1 or 2, or 20 or more? I feel that is a true indicator of what will happen with your child if college is their end goal.
                  Clubs don’t place kids. The kid has to have the talent to be recruited at a particular team. The prestige of a club might help with getting coaches to come watch a game but if your talent isn’t what they’re looking for playing for top team isn’t going to help much.

Comment

The best club for your child to play at is the one they like and have fun at. The one where they work well with the team (not all players can play on all teams, they've got to "fit" the play style) and coaching style. The one where they have fun. The one you can afford. The one where they can play (being on a team is quite different than playing on a team). The one that's honest with the player (about their prospects, room to move, you know, that's realistic with them).

There's really not a "best" club/program that's a one size fits all.

In my humble and (almost) non-biased opinion. I'm on the tail end of three players. The last of which is committed to a college and program she's quite happy with and loving her time playing out her final ECNL year (sniff, sniff, sniff...…). Dammit, now you've made water come outta' my eyes!

Good luck to all.

Comment

The best club for your child to play at is the one they like and have fun at. The one where they work well with the team (not all players can play on all teams, they've got to "fit" the play style) and coaching style. The one where they have fun. The one you can afford. The one where they can play (being on a team is quite different than playing on a team). The one that's honest with the player (about their prospects, room to move, you know, that's realistic with them).

There's really not a "best" club/program that's a one size fits all.

In my humble and (almost) non-biased opinion. I'm on the tail end of three players. The last of which is committed to a college and program she's quite happy with and loving her time playing out her final ECNL year (sniff, sniff, sniff...…). Dammit, now you've made water come outta' my eyes!

Good luck to all.
                      Best of luck to your daughter!

Comment

Looks like Reign 04 got a new player on their squad the last game. Defection from Eastside ECNL I believe.

Comment

if you check, that player has played both all year, as well as high school
                          She plays low minutes on Reign.

Comment

if you check, that player has played both all year, as well as high school
                            She plays low minutes on Reign.
                            Kinda stalker-ery, don't you think? Kids move around for whatever reason. Are you that weird guy in bushes at Preston and Marymoor?

Comment

Yes! I just came from Italy and want to kiss your cheek. Also familiar with the situation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X