Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It is a touchy situation. But you have to look out for the child's best interest. I went through a similar situation. I told the other coach to please keep it quiet and i knew he had a good reputation that he could be trusted. You can always blame it on your child and say a friend asked him to come down. Your current coach will be on his/her toes now at least if they find out But this happens alot !
    Totally agree. Your current club will rarely be concerned about the best interest of your kid (except maybe keeping them if they're a top player) so that becomes our job as parents. Things can happen between now and tryouts - the team or even the club could implode or your kid could get cut if a bunch of new talent shows up at tryouts. It's always good to have an option just in case. I assess our club situations on an annual basis because things are always changing.

Clubs know this stuff goes on all the time and they do ti as well. If your current club retaliates for trying out elsewhere then that tells you all you need to know about them. Cut bait and find a club that isn't coached by diks.

Comment

Totally agree. Your current club will rarely be concerned about the best interest of your kid (except maybe keeping them if they're a top player) so that becomes our job as parents. Things can happen between now and tryouts - the team or even the club could implode or your kid could get cut if a bunch of new talent shows up at tryouts. It's always good to have an option just in case. I assess our club situations on an annual basis because things are always changing.

Clubs know this stuff goes on all the time and they do ti as well. If your current club retaliates for trying out elsewhere then that tells you all you need to know about them. Cut bait and find a club that isn't coached by diks.
      What are the rules if you're at a DA club? Are you allowed to try out at other DAs without notifying anyone?

Comment

What are the rules if you're at a DA club? Are you allowed to try out at other DAs without notifying anyone?
        Nope. Read the rules carefully. They're on the DA website I think under Academy Operations (?)

Comment

I know it makes sense to take them to practices now, but very worried my child's current very good club will find out, and then maybe it hurts their chances to get offer for next year, so basically have to wait for the mass cattle call tryouts. i just think its too small a world and coaches and parents talk so have risk of being seen as disloyal. any thoughts?
          This is how the clubs mentally screw you over. They make you concerned about loyalty but show you none whatsoever. One-way loyalty. Does your club ever have “guest” players at a practice? If so, aren’t they effectively endorsing the concept of checking out another club’s practice. Do you think they wouldn’t find out abou a tryout appearance just as easily? A few years ago the NYSC DOC was literally spotted in the bushes watching an FCW tryout. Don’t hold yourself to some mythical standard of loyalty if your club is unwilling to do the same. And they are u willing to do the same. <rant over>

Keep in mind that the older your kid is, the smaller the number of open spots that are not accounted for by the time of the tryouts.

Comment

A few years ago the NYSC DOC was literally spotted in the bushes watching an FCW tryout <rant over>
            Ok that's pretty funny.

Keep in mind that the older your kid is, the smaller the number of open spots that are not accounted for by the time of the tryouts.
            small and sometimes close to zero. open tryouts are pure optionality.

Comment

DA clubs do not actually hold official "tryouts" until after the DA season has ended, as per USSDA rules. For a DA player at Club A to attend "open training sessions" at Club B prior to the Academy season ending, the player technically needs the approval of the Club A director to do so.

It is almost universal that DA DOCs will notify each other as a courtesy when a player shows up at a different club looking to train/tryout. My advice for DA players is to not attend training/tryouts at another DA club unless you are committed to leaving your current club.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X