Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer Wire National Club Rankings

Soccer Wire just debuted their National Club Rankings (Feb 12th - Boys, Feb 19th- Girls).

Interesting methodology, not a lot of surprises in the top 10, aside from the fact that only 3 Clubs overlap from Boys and Girls. Excluding GotSoccer's rankings will probably be controversial, but I agree with why. The corresponding Podcast provides a nice explanation as to why GotSoccer's rankings are skewed.

Boys: https://www.soccerwire.com/news/socc...february-2020/

Girls: https://www.soccerwire.com/news/socc...february-2020/

WA Boys Rankings:
    6. Seattle Sounders FC
    18. WA Premier FC
    26. Crossfire Premier
    34. PACNW
    49. Seattle United

WA Girls Rankings:
    26. Crossfire Premier
    47. WA Premier FC
    59. Reign Academy

Let me finish by adding in, that Soccer Wire seems fully aware that this is definitely a soft "beta" ranking. They have provided feedback forms on their website, so if you think they missed the mark with your respective Club(s), feel free to reach out to them.

For those of you who follow GotSoccer, youthsoccerrankings.com, Soccer Wire, etc - we know that the biggest deficiency in the rankings is that Leagues who use crawlable software, and who are reporting every match - regular season, post season, and tournament play, are also reporting higher ranking scores. Clubs who use Affinity and similar databases, especially in the U12 and under Divisions, don't have the majority of their matches scored on those websites, and as such aren't being ranked accurately. It looks like something they will be addressing.

Enjoy - and remember, there is no losing. There is only winning or learning, and hopefully a bit of both.

This is interesting. Xfire has a rep for not caring about their girls' program but XFire girls and boys are evenly ranked. Other clubs girls' programs didn't even register. I didn't read it all carefully, but it seems like rankings shift monthly? An interesting data point, but so much depends on team/coach etc in terms of a kid's experience. Kid can have a positive experience without worrying about ranking

Comment

These "rankings" are beyond silly.

They do not tell parents/families anything of value about what their child's experience will be, at a given club.

(That being said, I'm dying for the MRFC/Valor fight to break out over this.)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        These "rankings" are beyond silly.

They do not tell parents/families anything of value about what their child's experience will be, at a given club.

(That being said, I'm dying for the MRFC/Valor fight to break out over this.)

How can you say this doesn't have value for families? Did you look at the methodology? Did you take the time to understand what goes into the rankings? Even just comparing the Boys/Girls gives you a lot of insight, such as the top 10 Boys and Girls being so different.

Great example - if I have both a boys player and a girls player, I'd like to know that the Club I take my kids to is successful with both of them.

MRFC/Valor can fight all they want. It's two goldfish going at it in shark territory.

Comment

Soccer Wire just debuted their National Club Rankings (Feb 12th - Boys, Feb 19th- Girls).

Interesting methodology, not a lot of surprises in the top 10, aside from the fact that only 3 Clubs overlap from Boys and Girls. Excluding GotSoccer's rankings will probably be controversial, but I agree with why. The corresponding Podcast provides a nice explanation as to why GotSoccer's rankings are skewed.

Boys: https://www.soccerwire.com/news/socc...february-2020/

Girls: https://www.soccerwire.com/news/socc...february-2020/

WA Boys Rankings:
          6. Seattle Sounders FC
          18. WA Premier FC
          26. Crossfire Premier
          34. PACNW
          49. Seattle United

WA Girls Rankings:
          26. Crossfire Premier
          47. WA Premier FC
          59. Reign Academy

Let me finish by adding in, that Soccer Wire seems fully aware that this is definitely a soft "beta" ranking. They have provided feedback forms on their website, so if you think they missed the mark with your respective Club(s), feel free to reach out to them.

For those of you who follow GotSoccer, youthsoccerrankings.com, Soccer Wire, etc - we know that the biggest deficiency in the rankings is that Leagues who use crawlable software, and who are reporting every match - regular season, post season, and tournament play, are also reporting higher ranking scores. Clubs who use Affinity and similar databases, especially in the U12 and under Divisions, don't have the majority of their matches scored on those websites, and as such aren't being ranked accurately. It looks like something they will be addressing.

Enjoy - and remember, there is no losing. There is only winning or learning, and hopefully a bit of both.
          Thanks for posting. I highly recommend listening to the podcast that goes along with these rankings. It really helped explain their methodology and approach to tackling a difficult task in hostile territory.

Comment

Soccer wire

I think it is helpful to establish an initial evaluation of which clubs are stronger for my boy or girl, but a look at the specific team is also needed that will meet my player's needs. I also think different clubs are good at different points along their journey. Mine started at a smaller club that had more focus on technical skills, but then transferred to a larger club that had more depth and less variation from the top player on the team to the last player.

I've found youth soccer rankings to be the most comprehensive on evaluating at a team by team level, but there also needs to be conversations from current parents to understand the dynamics of the team and coach.

Comment

I think it is helpful to establish an initial evaluation of which clubs are stronger for my boy or girl, but a look at the specific team is also needed that will meet my player's needs. I also think different clubs are good at different points along their journey. Mine started at a smaller club that had more focus on technical skills, but then transferred to a larger club that had more depth and less variation from the top player on the team to the last player.

I've found youth soccer rankings to be the most comprehensive on evaluating at a team by team level, but there also needs to be conversations from current parents to understand the dynamics of the team and coach.

Great comments. A forum like this "should" be a place where, after evaluating Club rankings, Parents and players can dig into Coaches and start asking for recommendations. As we all know, not every Coach at a Club is awesome.

Comment

How can you say this doesn't have value for families? Did you look at the methodology? Did you take the time to understand what goes into the rankings? Even just comparing the Boys/Girls gives you a lot of insight, such as the top 10 Boys and Girls being so different.

Great example - if I have both a boys player and a girls player, I'd like to know that the Club I take my kids to is successful with both of them.

MRFC/Valor can fight all they want. It's two goldfish going at it in shark territory.
                You must be fun at parties.

Comment

Youth Soccer Rankings has WPFC Blue ranked first in the nation for boys U17 (2003)? Lol.

Comment

Soccer wire

Youth Soccer Rankings has WPFC Blue ranked first in the nation for boys U17 (2003)? Lol.
                    Similar for WPFC U14. It says they are #3: https://youthsoccerrankings.us/ranki...ional/14/Boys/

Comment

These rankings are beyond laughable. They are posted for strictly entertainment purposes.

Comment

These rankings are beyond laughable. They are posted for strictly entertainment purposes.
                        Please share your rankings then.

Comment

I can't even figure out where the rankings are because it looks like the page was made by a middle school student that vomited links and ads all over the page with no rhyme or reason.

If you are advertising your page on here as a great solution to the silly rankings in got soccer (div 3 team in AZ in 3rd place is listed as the number one team in AZ) then it would seem to make sense to make "rankings" an obvious link on the page.

Comment

I can't even figure out where the rankings are because it looks like the page was made by a middle school student that vomited links and ads all over the page with no rhyme or reason.

If you are advertising your page on here as a great solution to the silly rankings in got soccer (div 3 team in AZ in 3rd place is listed as the number one team in AZ) then it would seem to make sense to make "rankings" an obvious link on the page.
                            Got soccer is the worst! Worked for our team though. Just play in some more obscure gotsoccer tourneys, rack up some gotsoccer points and look like a top team in the state like that div 3 team in AZ. Easy as pie. Surf Cup here we come!

Comment

Haters

Similar for WPFC U14. It says they are #3: https://youthsoccerrankings.us/ranki...ional/14/Boys/
                              Must be a PAC parent complaining that team has 1 loss all year beat everyone in Washington ECNL and everyone in Nor Cal DA funny how Sounders SDP won’t Friendly against them there’s a reason there ranked that high cuz ur team can’t beat them what’s your teams ranking lol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X