Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think there's a Sounders Academy player who had D1 offer who decided to take a gap year & play on U19s another year, but that is DA
    Must have been a crappy offer then if you're willing to pass on it to play U19s again hoping for a better offer. You ain't fooling anyone with this narrative starting this thread and replying to it like you're a different poster.

Comment

Trapped players are players that have aged out but are still in high school. What you're talking about is the opposite. There are players that are still eligible based on birth year, but have graduated. They are still eligible to play even though they will be graduating.
      Correct and this situation was created mostly by birth year. For example, the 1/1-7/31 born players essentially got to play down a year with the younger grade in birth year. This resulted in most 1/1-7/31 born kids graduating as U18s and the fall born kids (in the grade below but same birth year), graduating as u19s. Other than the fall born kids of the same birth year, the rest can play club another year since they’re still u19s.

Comment

So they don’t go to college and play another year of ECNL soccer ..cool but not for my kid

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2652132]Finally someone who knows something about the ECNL! Trapped player equals a HS senior who is older, say a U20. He/She can play ECNL club as long they can document they are still in High School (No Gap year or others eligible). Isn't that fair to the kid? Also this rule is policed as the kid can't get a player card without the still in High School certification.

Back to all the other kids not in high school: gap year kids, running start kids, kids who have graduated at 17 and are in college, 18 year olds in the military whatever as long as they don't have a pro contract. They can play ECNL in the proper age groups U19, U17. But they can not use the trapped player rule to play if they are not U19 eligible they will NOT get a player card and will never be able to play even in a showcase. You can argue the "why would the player want to do it" however if they do, isn't it fair to let the kid play?

Back to the original poster. Why the sour grapes? Assuming your DK is not a U19, they will get their shot at that spot next year when the kid you don't want to play soccer this year ages out.[/QUOTE

If your doing running start you are still consider in High school ..
          if you are in college you will need to check with the NCAA clearing house about eligibility for college sports if you decide to play soccer after your done playing ECNL

Comment

Must have been a crappy offer then if you're willing to pass on it to play U19s again hoping for a better offer. You ain't fooling anyone with this narrative starting this thread and replying to it like you're a different poster.
            No, I didn't start this thread. People are talking about Gap years and soccer and I heard about a kid doing this. That's all. My understanding is that the kid will be going to the college where he has the offer after the gap year, which is what a gap year is. I don't know anything more than that. Not sure why you think there's some mystery/drama to this thread lol

Comment

No, I didn't start this thread. People are talking about Gap years and soccer and I heard about a kid doing this. That's all. My understanding is that the kid will be going to the college where he has the offer after the gap year, which is what a gap year is. I don't know anything more than that. Not sure why you think there's some mystery/drama to this thread lol
              You sure hear a lot about what other players are doing. Most players and their families don’t go around telling people what their recruiting journey is like especially when it involves something like a gap year. I’m sure the family you’re talking about will appreciate the fact someone is openly talking about their situation. But since you are that person no one is stopping you from sharing your son’s process. Hope you’re not the same parent who posts about what other you hear other people say on the sidelines at their other kid’s tryout either. Sour grapes.

Comment

You sure hear a lot about what other players are doing. Most players and their families don’t go around telling people what their recruiting journey is like especially when it involves something like a gap year. I’m sure the family you’re talking about will appreciate the fact someone is openly talking about their situation. But since you are that person no one is stopping you from sharing your son’s process. Hope you’re not the same parent who posts about what other you hear other people say on the sidelines at their other kid’s tryout either. Sour grapes.
                Chill...dude

Comment

The point I was making: some kids who play soccer take gap years by choice. It's not a big deal or a big secret.

Comment

This sport brings out the worst in kid, parents and club coaches... ECNL should fix this right away...If you graduate from high school then move on it's that simple ..go to the Academy, go to college or the USL

Comment

I think y'all are reading waaaaaaaay too much into this. If someone's of the requisite age but has graduated high school (that's the problem with going to birth year...…) why on earth can't they play? If they're good enough to make the team then let them play. Good god. There's no guarantee they want to even go to college and play. Maybe they just like the travel and competition level. It's age related is my point. Not grade level.

And, before I get bashed by all the overzealous parents...….I don't have any boys. All my players were girls.

Comment

I think y'all are reading waaaaaaaay too much into this. If someone's of the requisite age but has graduated high school (that's the problem with going to birth year...…) why on earth can't they play? If they're good enough to make the team then let them play. Good god. There's no guarantee they want to even go to college and play. Maybe they just like the travel and competition level. It's age related is my point. Not grade level.

And, before I get bashed by all the overzealous parents...….I don't have any boys. All my players were girls.
                        Let them play. But don't let them attend the showcases for the players who are trying to get recruited.

Comment

Chill...dude
                          Lol. Hit a little too close to home, eh? Ok, boomer.

Comment

Let them play. But don't let them attend the showcases for the players who are trying to get recruited.
                            Pretty much all ECNL matches, "events", and such are showcases...…...

Comment

Pretty much all ECNL matches, "events", and such are showcases...…...
                              Not really. Occasionally you might get a local college coach at an ECNL league game, but that's pretty rare. It's the showcases where the coaches come to watch.

Comment

Not really. Occasionally you might get a local college coach at an ECNL league game, but that's pretty rare. It's the showcases where the coaches come to watch.
                                I don’t disagree but why is it any different than letting already committed players play in ecnl showcases, while uncommitted players sit the bench? Do the ecnl coaches really care about getting players committed? I don’t think all do.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X