Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No need to hate on these smaller town clubs like Smithtown and EI banding together to try and stay afloat while the Susa's & LISC's gobble up so many of the other smaller clubs and independent teams. I think it's a good thing for people to have options for their kids!

What if you have a kid that doesn't make the A or B teams at one of these big league clubs? Are they supposed to pay thousands a year to play on the C or D team? Are they relegated to the local LIJSL team? Now that Surf has basically settled in in Nassau, it doesn't hurt to have a club of that nature in Suffolk too.
    Agree for the most part, but there's always the element of buyer beware. Remember when Surf was going to revolutionize Long Island Soccer? They were getting ECNL!, then they were getting GDA!, they were merging with Westchester!, they were merging with Atletico! Opponents kept saying it was just another franchise opportunity like "Rush", but believers kept believing. Hearing Surf is now branching into Massachusettes, adding to their list of franchises-

https://www.surfsoccernation.com/our-clubs

I feel like Slammers may be looking to jump on the bandwagon and cash in too!

Comment

Agree for the most part, but there's always the element of buyer beware. Remember when Surf was going to revolutionize Long Island Soccer? They were getting ECNL!, then they were getting GDA!, they were merging with Westchester!, they were merging with Atletico! Opponents kept saying it was just another franchise opportunity like "Rush", but believers kept believing. Hearing Surf is now branching into Massachusettes, adding to their list of franchises-

https://www.surfsoccernation.com/our-clubs

I feel like Slammers may be looking to jump on the bandwagon and cash in too!
      More BS for parents to contend with and a bigger price tag. Nothing to see here apart from a few dying clubs banding together.

Comment

Unless these clubs in the Slammers agreement get a better staff and make some big moves like SUSA did, it's just another Barca uniform and $$$ program for club on West Coast.
        Please tell me you are not claiming SUSA has a good staff, that's comical. I could care less about this Slammers nonsense but please don't ever claim SUSA has good training because that's a total joke. SUSA just happened to have a lot of money and perfect timing with Albertson going completely off the rails. Before the Albertson debacle, SUSA was not a good club, they had bad training, e.t.c, but once Albertson went into the tank those players needed a place to go and with their money and marketing they struck big time while the iron was hot. But it had nothing to do with quality and everything to do with splashing a whole lot of money around, which by the way, they are recouping by charging parents an absolute fortune for.

Comment

More BS for parents to contend with and a bigger price tag. Nothing to see here apart from a few dying clubs banding together.
          Buyers should always beware, but let's see what happens before someone with no knowledge of the situation writes "nothing to see here." Maybe you'll be right, but maybe you'll be wrong, need to actually see what the product is first

Comment

Buyers should always beware, but let's see what happens before someone with no knowledge of the situation writes "nothing to see here." Maybe you'll be right, but maybe you'll be wrong, need to actually see what the product is first
            Like soccer itself, everything is subjective...to some GDA is the pinnacle, to others ECNL is the top dog, others will see great success playing USYS National League and others are happy to be part of EDP or NPL. It all depends on the player and the familial situation and if smaller clubs banding together is what it takes to continue to give folks options, I'm all for it!

Comment

Like soccer itself, everything is subjective...to some GDA is the pinnacle, to others ECNL is the top dog, others will see great success playing USYS National League and others are happy to be part of EDP or NPL. It all depends on the player and the familial situation and if smaller clubs banding together is what it takes to continue to give folks options, I'm all for it!
              Well said

Comment

Does any know how its going to work? Are Slammers just going to be essentially running the A teams for these clubs, or is there going to be a slammers team created from the best (willing) players of these three town clubs? If the town clubs can't field a very high competitive team after U12, then I can see how it makes sense, but it is going to put a pretty strict ceiling on how high the town clubs can go.

Comment

Does any know how its going to work? Are Slammers just going to be essentially running the A teams for these clubs, or is there going to be a slammers team created from the best (willing) players of these three town clubs? If the town clubs can't field a very high competitive team after U12, then I can see how it makes sense, but it is going to put a pretty strict ceiling on how high the town clubs can go.
                  In short, they are going to put combined "slammer" teams in EDP while still allowing the kids to also play for their respect club teams in LIJSL for Smithtown, Sachem and East Islip.

Of course after the kids go to the slammers they aren't going to want to play for their former LIJSL teams anymore so that is a lie being sold to the parents.

Comment

O.k. I see, so parents slammer parents can pay twice, if they want to, once to slammers and once to hometown club. I'm sure that's bound to make it all o.k.

Comment

In short, they are going to put combined "slammer" teams in EDP while still allowing the kids to also play for their respect club teams in LIJSL for Smithtown, Sachem and East Islip.

Of course after the kids go to the slammers they aren't going to want to play for their former LIJSL teams anymore so that is a lie being sold to the parents.
                      This is where model fails. Kids left behind feel and not included on slammers team feel slighted and leave. No way a kid drives from East Islip to play on a Smithtown B team once the EI team doesn’t have enough players.

Comment

This is where model fails. Kids left behind feel and not included on slammers team feel slighted and leave. No way a kid drives from East Islip to play on a Smithtown B team once the EI team doesn’t have enough players.
                        Stop guessing at how this is going to work and wait until they tell you. Instead you're making all sorts of assumptions without having any information

Comment

Stop guessing at how this is going to work and wait until they tell you. Instead you're making all sorts of assumptions without having any information
                          Reading what is stated on EI website is not making assumptions.

Comment

Unless you have pertinent, accurate information, kindly STFU.
                            Popping in every 3 posts whining that nobody knows what they are talking about, when the announcement is posted in black and white for everyone to read is just a lame attempt to make this lame merger seem like it's something better than what it is.

Comment

I'm not guessing, I went straight to the source to find out because I was interested in checking it out for my kid. It is basically exactly what people are posting.
                              My kid was invited to a Smithtown "open practice", if she was selected for one of the "pathway" teams-she would be joining the existing Smithtown Slammers team in EDP and her coach would be the Smithtown Slammers coach. When I asked about the "Slammers trainers", I was told LIPS was the official training organization of the Slammers presence on LI.
                              Please explain how this is different from what people are assuming???

Comment

I'm not guessing, I went straight to the source to find out because I was interested in checking it out for my kid. It is basically exactly what people are posting.
                                My kid was invited to a Smithtown "open practice", if she was selected for one of the "pathway" teams-she would be joining the existing Smithtown Slammers team in EDP and her coach would be the Smithtown Slammers coach. When I asked about the "Slammers trainers", I was told LIPS was the official training organization of the Slammers presence on LI.
                                Please explain how this is different from what people are assuming???
                                BS and you're lying and making crap up to suit your agenda/spin.

Your kid was not invited to an open practice because they are still working out the details of how this will work. Consequently, there was no open practice that they were invited to attend.

I went to the meeting that EI held to discuss this.

The pathway teams are not going to be called the Smithtown Slammers, another fabrication. The teams will be call the Long Island Slammers.

LIPS will not be the training organization. Part of the deal for EI to join was that there would be equal footing.

Lastly, there is the potential that at least one other club (possibly two) will join the partnership.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X