• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Lesley Odom is a snake
    What is your point, she is not at GPS anymore, with Aztec's

Comment

Ex-GPS who overall looked at it as a successful stink.

We left after a year of AH running the girls side. They made the conscious decision to try to improve the bottom of the roster and let the top go. So, we did.

I believe their boys program is still solid and led by quality personnel, but girls is a mess.

Comment

What is your point, she is not at GPS anymore, with Aztec's
        Very trustworthy individual

Comment

Ex-GPS who overall looked at it as a successful stink.

We left after a year of AH running the girls side. They made the conscious decision to try to improve the bottom of the roster and let the top go. So, we did.

I believe their boys program is still solid and led by quality personnel, but girls is a mess.
          There's a balance between trying to build a winning team and gathering numbers as a business in a small state like NH. GPS was attractive for southern NH youth soccer, however top talent started venturing to MA more and more so what to do? It's tough because the teams are weak and the club is frowned upon and even when they do get players from families who don't really know much about all that they quickly realize they aren't getting great coaching. If their player is really good they aren't challenged.

It's a shame since there are a lot of really good players from southern NH who travel to Stars or NEFC or GPS MA and they could make up some competitive teams if the talent was pooled in one place. The facility is great so hopefully a different club will come in and take over.

Comment

There's a balance between trying to build a winning team and gathering numbers as a business in a small state like NH. GPS was attractive for southern NH youth soccer, however top talent started venturing to MA more and more so what to do? It's tough because the teams are weak and the club is frowned upon and even when they do get players from families who don't really know much about all that they quickly realize they aren't getting great coaching. If their player is really good they aren't challenged.

It's a shame since there are a lot of really good players from southern NH who travel to Stars or NEFC or GPS MA and they could make up some competitive teams if the talent was pooled in one place. The facility is great so hopefully a different club will come in and take over.
            Agreed, and first it was my post you replied to and I meant to say "overall successful stint". Meaning, we were happy for quite some time.

What happened in the long run, and it matches what you are saying I believe, is that they topped out at NEP. They didn't even offer NPL, never mind anything higher than that. So, they became an aggregator of low-level talent who then moved to SUSC, StarsMA, or even in some cases their GPS Red team out of MA. What was a good team was obliterated in the course of year. Three teams became one, and that one was a mix of mostly the lower two teams.

That being said, my daughter has had three coaches in 10 years who really helped her and whenever she decides to hang them up, these three are ones (so far) she will remember fondly and pushed her buttons in the right way to enable her successes. One was out of GPS

Comment

Agreed, and first it was my post you replied to and I meant to say "overall successful stint". Meaning, we were happy for quite some time.

What happened in the long run, and it matches what you are saying I believe, is that they topped out at NEP. They didn't even offer NPL, never mind anything higher than that. So, they became an aggregator of low-level talent who then moved to SUSC, StarsMA, or even in some cases their GPS Red team out of MA. What was a good team was obliterated in the course of year. Three teams became one, and that one was a mix of mostly the lower two teams.

That being said, my daughter has had three coaches in 10 years who really helped her and whenever she decides to hang them up, these three are ones (so far) she will remember fondly and pushed her buttons in the right way to enable her successes. One was out of GPS
              Agreed. We had one coach on the girl's side at GPS for a year who was very good.

Comment

Half way through the season? Shows a lot of integrity on the coaches part. Also how do you know it’s a better future for the kids? It’s just a numbers game at that point. “Get who you can and quickly”
                Only people already unhappy would leave mid season. It's not about the club where they are going, it's about the club that they are leaving. GPS is falling apart. The girls side had 2-3 teams per age group just 4-5 years ago and now they are lucky to field 1 mid level NEP team per age group. I'm not sure how they afford the facility, must be rental revenue.

Comment

Only people already unhappy would leave mid season. It's not about the club where they are going, it's about the club that they are leaving. GPS is falling apart. The girls side had 2-3 teams per age group just 4-5 years ago and now they are lucky to field 1 mid level NEP team per age group. I'm not sure how they afford the facility, must be rental revenue.
                  Helped they owned the land outright due to the previous ownership going back 15-20 years. So, it was just the field building/maintaining costs.

And, they are used a lot for other sports, rec leagues, etc.

Comment

As an outsider and new to club soccer it's hard to tell fact from fiction. It seems like there are a lot of positive and negative reviews of most of the clubs in S. NH. Almost like reading Amazon reviews of products, either 100% positive or 100% negative.

My daughter is new to GPS NH this year. For anonymity purposes I won't reveal her age group but so far we are pleased with the coaching she is receiving. Granted she is coming from a town program where she had little coaching so anything is a huge upgrade but we have seen improvement. I can't speak to the behind the scenes stuff as we don't know the details.

For now we are comfortable with our daughter in GPS NH, but this thread does help me pay attention to some things to see if it translates into issues with the coaching our daughter receives.

Comment

As an outsider and new to club soccer it's hard to tell fact from fiction. It seems like there are a lot of positive and negative reviews of most of the clubs in S. NH. Almost like reading Amazon reviews of products, either 100% positive or 100% negative.

My daughter is new to GPS NH this year. For anonymity purposes I won't reveal her age group but so far we are pleased with the coaching she is receiving. Granted she is coming from a town program where she had little coaching so anything is a huge upgrade but we have seen improvement. I can't speak to the behind the scenes stuff as we don't know the details.

For now we are comfortable with our daughter in GPS NH, but this thread does help me pay attention to some things to see if it translates into issues with the coaching our daughter receives.
                      ----
                      Take the opinions on this site with a grain of salt. We have had 2 kids in GPS since it came to NH and have had a good experience.

Comment

----
                        Take the opinions on this site with a grain of salt. We have had 2 kids in GPS since it came to NH and have had a good experience.
                        I totally agree. GPS NH is a good option for many. Only players with enough talent and skill and parents with enough dedication and money should travel to MA to play on upper level teams.

Comment

I totally agree. GPS NH is a good option for many. Only players with enough talent and skill and parents with enough dedication and money should travel to MA to play on upper level teams.
                          Sly little dig at Seacoast. HIGHER level teams exist in New Hampshire. Whether you like/agree with the DA system or hate Seacoast United in general, ALL the top teams in the state are DA teams.

It’s a shame the DA teams aren’t allowed to compete in state cup because it would be a whitewash. Not that the NH state cup, NEP or USYA mean anything anymore these days. Play 1 game and off to nationals, or in some cases win by default and claim you’re state champions and go to regionals.

Comment

Sly little dig at Seacoast. HIGHER level teams exist in New Hampshire. Whether you like/agree with the DA system or hate Seacoast United in general, ALL the top teams in the state are DA teams.

It’s a shame the DA teams aren’t allowed to compete in state cup because it would be a whitewash. Not that the NH state cup, NEP or USYA mean anything anymore these days. Play 1 game and off to nationals, or in some cases win by default and claim you’re state champions and go to regionals.
                            Foolish man! Just because DA is the top league does not mean Seacoast has the top team. They are the DA doormat. Follow this logic, just because a college tea, is DI does not make them a good team. There are tons of DII teams that are far better than DI. It’s not the league fella

Comment

Foolish man! Just because DA is the top league does not mean Seacoast has the top team. They are the DA doormat. Follow this logic, just because a college tea, is DI does not make them a good team. There are tons of DII teams that are far better than DI. It’s not the league fella
                              In many cases you’re correct.... not in NH though! All academy teams would beat all the NPL teams within the state. End of story. Now crawl back into your little hole, foolish man!

Comment

Those crowing about the "best teams" entirely miss the point of player development.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X