Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It’s a bummer that the 08 TA has had no communication. I assume they don’t know what’s happening going forward either
    They had 13+ practices with 3 or so after the second to final cut. It is very likely that the coaches knew who they wanted even before the "try outs" even began... or had a good idea at the very least. 13ish should be enough to clarify who they wanted.

At this point they should let the boys know that they have been chosen to be on the team and that they anticipate practices starting in August- or whatever- and will keep everyone updated as info comes there way.

For the boys that they know they are not taking- Let them know they enjoyed watching and coaching them and will keep an eye on them as they cont to develop with their club team.

Boom. Done.

Comment

They had 13+ practices with 3 or so after the second to final cut. It is very likely that the coaches knew who they wanted even before the "try outs" even began... or had a good idea at the very least. 13ish should be enough to clarify who they wanted.

At this point they should let the boys know that they have been chosen to be on the team and that they anticipate practices starting in August- or whatever- and will keep everyone updated as info comes there way.

For the boys that they know they are not taking- Let them know they enjoyed watching and coaching them and will keep an eye on them as they cont to develop with their club team.

Boom. Done.

Boom, it's Done is spot on.

They could offer them spots on maybe a 'paper' team, that's it how awesome.

They have nothing tangible to offer other than their individual and collective opinions about some 11 and 12 year old boys 'abilities' they watched in the freezing cold and chilly winter months.

They have no platform, no league, no opponents or even a rough sketch game plan to offer at this time, no news is all they can give you-- the DA is gone and we are located in the most remote NW corner of the US without any real MLS sides or Pro club side to match up for 11 and 12 year old to play other than Seattle, Vancouver & San Jose (who would spank our little metro oregonians sides). Real Salt lake is in Arizona, so they are out of the mix.. Unless they (Timbers) want to spend hundreds of thousands on airfare travel sending these wee ones to Orlando, NYC, DC, Kansas City, Toronto, Dallas & LA, sorry that ain't happening.

In the end this 'discovery' charade will be a long forgotten march to nowhere fast.
      Move Forward, they know where to find you when the have something to offer.

Relax.

Comment

Boom. Done.
        If you paid attention the nw da folded last year and left the 07/06 TA teams in a lurch right after tryouts too. (Still was worth it for my 07 kid even without an official league but many parents may or may not think the same) Add in da fully shutting down now and covid happening

I’m sure they don’t want to do the same thing again.

You all would complain if they had a team with no where to go the same you complain about not knowing now.

Comment

If you paid attention the nw da folded last year and left the 07/06 TA teams in a lurch right after tryouts too. (Still was worth it for my 07 kid even without an official league but many parents may or may not think the same) Add in da fully shutting down now and covid happening I’m sure they don’t want to do the same thing again. You all would complain if they had a team with no where to go the same you complain about not knowing now.
          If you paid attention I don't care, it's of no consequence whether they offer something or don't have anything to offer. Their program is irrelevant in Oregon and especially for the wee ones. At u17 or u19 it might have some merit but by those ages the Oregonians have been cast aside for imports. With no boundaries going forward Oregonians are at best an afterthought.

Comment

If you paid attention I don't care, it's of no consequence whether they offer something or don't have anything to offer. Their program is irrelevant in Oregon and especially for the wee ones. At u17 or u19 it might have some merit but by those ages the Oregonians have been cast aside for imports. With no boundaries going forward Oregonians are at best an afterthought.
            I’m sorry your kid never got invited to tryout or play.

Comment

I’m sorry your kid never got invited to tryout or play.
              OK, its a shame he didn't get invited to have a play date with your kid and your tremendous family at the local chuckie cheese factory.

Maybe next year at your kids 13th pizza party he gets selected and the evite.

Comment

Still say it's a better investment for the Timbers to provide subsidized additional training, a couple times a week, for a wider variety of club players (who remain with their clubs) at this age then picking the best 12-year-olds to form an academy team.

If someone is good enough at 12 to play on an older academy team, that might be a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                  still say it's a better investment for the timbers to provide subsidized additional training, a couple times a week, for a wider variety of club players (who remain with their clubs) at this age then picking the best 12-year-olds to form an academy team.

If someone is good enough at 12 to play on an older academy team, that might be a different matter.
                  this!!!!!!!

Comment

Still say it's a better investment for the Timbers to provide subsidized additional training, a couple times a week, for a wider variety of club players (who remain with their clubs) at this age then picking the best 12-year-olds to form an academy team.

This platform has been presented numerous times on the board and while it makes sense on so many levels the Timbers would be forced to let go 2 to 4 of their little kid coaching staffers and then coaches from the 1st/2nd or older youth academy teams would need to come to a the better structured once a week kick around for current top local club players.

An actual Portland Timbers Academy fielding teams for kids younger than 15 or 16 is utterly pointless if they are using strictly our local early bloomers.

Comment

OK, its a shame he didn't get invited to have a play date with your kid and your tremendous family at the local chuckie cheese factory.

Maybe next year at your kids 13th pizza party he gets selected and the evite.
                      That’s the retort? That’s it? Yawn.

We fly our kid and friends to our vacation home for his bdays. No creepy pizza for our fam.

Comment

After sifting through this I see some parental bitterness towards the program because their children were not either invited or chosen to proceed. I get it. Many times I was one of the last kids picked for bean ball and that killed me. Not being chosen hurts.

But in this case it is interesting as the kids care far less than the parent. Parents of the rejected are so butt hurt that they come to a website to tell everyone how dumb this all is, berate coaches, talk poorly about the program and pretend they are glad their kid didn't make it. It's a sad statement for where our society is now.

Suck it up Dad. Your kid isn't as good as you thought he was, OK? He is still a good kid, just not a good soccer player.

Comment

After sifting through this I see some parental bitterness towards the program because their children were not either invited or chosen to proceed. I get it. Many times I was one of the last kids picked for bean ball and that killed me. Not being chosen hurts. But in this case it is interesting as the kids care far less than the parent. Parents of the rejected are so butt hurt that they come to a website to tell everyone how dumb this all is, berate coaches, talk poorly about the program and pretend they are glad their kid didn't make it. It's a sad statement for where our society is now.
                          Suck it up Dad. Your kid isn't as good as you thought he was, OK? He is still a good kid, just not a good soccer player.
                          Once again I don't care about the short lived and ill fated 'discovery' program, they were simply kickarounds for 08 kids, now it's vanished. Also, the MLS DA has been dissolved by US Soccer, MLS sides are trying to figure out what's next for their 1st & 2nd teams with an after thought of what their youth structure might look like in 2021 an beyond (hopefully).

Simply nothing to be 'selected' for as an 08 kid from the local area.
                          Once a structured & well defined program emerges from the extended pause, they can try and sell it to kids and families that's assuming their Parent club wants to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on 11 year boys from our zip codes, which is a pure fantasy. Nobody is upset for not getting selected their is no selection or program to be chosen for at this time.

Sorry you don't understand this specific situation, but do realize the reasons your were chosen last as a kid have scarred you into adulthood, I wish you well in your healing process, pain is temporary it's OK to be picked Last.

Comment

After sifting through this I see some parental bitterness towards the program because their children were not either invited or chosen to proceed. I get it. Many times I was one of the last kids picked for bean ball and that killed me. Not being chosen hurts.

But in this case it is interesting as the kids care far less than the parent. Parents of the rejected are so butt hurt that they come to a website to tell everyone how dumb this all is, berate coaches, talk poorly about the program and pretend they are glad their kid didn't make it. It's a sad statement for where our society is now.

I know the 2008 age group pretty well and the top 3 or 4 2008 players had no interest in practicing with their age group, even if it was with the Timbers.

Comment

Once again I don't care about the short lived and ill fated 'discovery' program, they were simply kickarounds for 08 kids, now it's vanished. Also, the MLS DA has been dissolved by US Soccer, MLS sides are trying to figure out what's next for their 1st & 2nd teams with an after thought of what their youth structure might look like in 2021 an beyond (hopefully).

Simply nothing to be 'selected' for as an 08 kid from the local area.
                              Once a structured & well defined program emerges from the extended pause, they can try and sell it to kids and families that's assuming their Parent club wants to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on 11 year boys from our zip codes, which is a pure fantasy. Nobody is upset for not getting selected their is no selection or program to be chosen for at this time.

Sorry you don't understand this specific situation, but do realize the reasons your were chosen last as a kid have scarred you into adulthood, I wish you well in your healing process, pain is temporary it's OK to be picked Last.
                              That’s certainly a lot of words for someone who doesn’t care. Not having an 08 team just keeps your kid from the same disappointment your wife has in her mate.

Comment

I know the 2008 age group pretty well and the top 3 or 4 2008 players had no interest in practicing with their age group, even if it was with the Timbers.
                                Top 08s are already playing up with 07s.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X