Clear All

But who’s gonna fly it, kid? You?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      But who’s gonna fly it, kid? You?
      Anyone can do a better job then how it’s currently ran now

Comment

Reap what you sow

A lot of issues raised in this thread, but ultimately these are just the results of decades of mismanagement, "I know a guy RI" mentality, and - while some had good intentions - flawed processes and policies.

SRI always had conflicts of interests with people either too connected or too financially involved with the overall youth soccer management. Again, they weren't "bad" people, but too close (or actually involved) with clubs or the leagues to really have strategic thinking and avoid actual - and certainly the perception- decisions were made with financial interests of the decision-makers (or associates) at stake.

The "3 town rule" and the "premier rule" at their heart were policies that protected individual town "fiefdoms" (rife with their own conflicts) and sheltered premier clubs that simply allowed too much proliferation for the talents in RI. Eventually, the momentum of better (a relative term for sure) elite soccer from outside the state exposed the fact this protection had let premier clubs maintain mediocrity instead of what SRI should have been pushing, a regional model where

parents could select rec programs by field/site locations instead of being forced to stay within a town (or constrained by the 3 town rule)

academy style for the younger kids with the better coaches and flexible rosters/small games so kids could moved frequently based on skill

rec system that played within the region (instead of the town where numbers were often stressed or led to imbalanced teams that promoted keep away instead of soccer)

competitive programs at the regional level competing against the other regions that allowed for some flexibility with rosters and linkage with the perhaps 2 truly "premier" programs - instead of a league that was based financially on the number of teams so of course the policies/process emphasized more fixed roster teams regardless of competitive balance.

ODP that was..well.. based on skill and not who could pay.

No real collaboration with the school side, even though some coaches were in both worlds to prevent way too much soccer games in the fall..(middle school level)

divorcing any SRI board or committee membership from anyone with a financial or family relationship to anyone making $$ off youth soccer -- and you say "who" - in a regional model without the 30 something town program structure - you'd need town "structure" for sure within the regional model, but every little town (and some towns with 2 clubs - seriously!) having its own 6-8 board members, way too much volunteers and spreading of talent.

Many other issues discussed at length in this forum for many years...

I'd add of course the crazy parent mentality (guilty as charged for a bit I'll admit too) - kids playing let's see in a fall --- MS soccer, club team soccer, and possible premier (saw it done by some kids on my daughter's MS team) -- for 12 year olds?

12 year old 11 v 11 state cup? 8 year old travel soccer with fixed rosters? his where the real "adults" should have been protecting kids from all of this, but they were profiting from the system.

Lip service - and the regional/national folks can share in the blame - about "development" when financially the system ran on tournaments and games.

Reap what you sow -- the forces started to rip apart the system, but it's still like the band playing as the Titanic sank..

Comment

So how do we fix this?

Comment

So how do we fix this?
            in RI, you would need adults who can put their egos aside and regionalize the town programs..good luck. Look, nice people but how long has the same crew been on the SRI board? You have the guy who makes money running the league as a key member of the board.

Just looked at the SRI board - hell, same names that were there a decade or so ago..if not longer.

Plus you need parents who don't think their 7 through 10 year olds are the next team USA potential star and would actually just be happy letting their kids play in an academy style environment with no fixed rosters and just do pick up games on weekends.

Oh lord, here comes the "my kids is competitive and needs to play 4 games a weekend, blah blah blah" -- just look at the outcomes for SRI after 15 years.. like was said, reap what you sow.

as I said, good luck with that. The people who realize this have had their kids cycle through and don't want to put up with the bs to fix it; the people who have too much $ invested set the rules. The next wave of kids are just fodder for the $ machine; the few really talented ones (and ultimately it's the kid who has to want it and put in the time and work) jump to MA; some play in college; only a fraction of those every get enough scholarship for the $ spent over 10 plus years. Many have enjoyable school soccer experiences that would still occur without the thousands of dollars, lost time, etc. spent.

Comment

Agreed, I feel as those who run soccer Rhode Island and overlook the Superliga really don't have a clear mission state for the league.

Multiple divisions of level or not, why is the league letting DA, ECNL, NPL players particpate? Do we really think that a player should be playing for a club team and playing for their town. How are we educating our youth about the dangerous outcome of playing in too many games? ACL injuries are becoming more common in youth players and mental exhaustion. Some players are playing 2-3 games a weekend.

The Superliga removed the cap because so more players can play which means more teams. They were witnessing multiple organizations numbers dramatically dropping, due to more players joining the premier world. So lets remove the cap so organizations can have more players interested which means more teams which means more money $$$
              The problem isn't allowing premier players. The problem is that we have some "town" teams with all premier players with 90% of the roster made up of kids from all over NE. You want to improve things? Suggest that all town rosters have to made up of at least 50% of kids from that town or nearby town. Clubs like Providence United and Providence Pumas would get exposed quickly.

Comment

The problem isn't allowing premier players. The problem is that we have some "town" teams with all premier players with 90% of the roster made up of kids from all over NE. You want to improve things? Suggest that all town rosters have to made up of at least 50% of kids from that town or nearby town. Clubs like Providence United and Providence Pumas would get exposed quickly.
                Oh yes I totally agree!
                Now that the Governor said Youth Sports will be back now and she is following up on the details now, lets hope RI town soccer teams hold practices over the summer.

Comment

So who wants to start a petition to send to the Super Liga and SRI staff?

Side question: Is Providence really a problem for Super Liga? The better town teams can play them. Isn't it more fun this way?

Comment

Oh yes I totally agree!
                    Now that the Governor said Youth Sports will be back now and she is following up on the details now, lets hope RI town soccer teams hold practices over the summer.
                    I wouldn't get my hopes up about sports in RI anytime soon. Odds are she's going to announce some ridiculous restrictions in her press conference today that would make youth sports too much trouble and too little fun for anyone to actually do it. Players in masks. No competition against other teams. No spectators. And she'll say, "it's not MY idea, I'm only following CDC recommendations." Which will be such a cop out. Frankly, I think she's gotten a taste of real authoritarian power and she's enjoying the rush.

Comment

So who wants to start a petition to send to the Super Liga and SRI staff?

Side question: Is Providence really a problem for Super Liga? The better town teams can play them. Isn't it more fun this way?

There are a few town teams that can compete but only a few can meet the 50% criteria. Providence not the only one, just an example. There are some Pawtucket teams where most of the rosters are out of town as well. Plus there are other clubs like OS or South County that would have to identify more directly with a location. I think the general feeling is that when you stack your team with all premier players, especially from the same club, then it's not really good for anyone.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X