Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is this going to play out?

With the chances of a spring season looking less and less every day, how do you think this will play out for the clubs and players moving forward?

I assume most, like us, have already paid for the spring season last fall. We aren’t expecting a refund for a lost season as we understand the clubs are small businesses and most of the money had been spent. However some sort of credit towards next year would be nice. Does anyone expect their club to do that or something different?

This could also have a big impact on the landscape of soccer. I saw the earlier post about Centercourt laying off coaches and imagine others will do the same if not fold entirely.

If any club gives back money I would be surprised. I'm sure a few clubs will fold as they were/are poorly run and lacked players to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      With the chances of a spring season looking less and less every day, how do you think this will play out for the clubs and players moving forward?

I assume most, like us, have already paid for the spring season last fall. We aren’t expecting a refund for a lost season as we understand the clubs are small businesses and most of the money had been spent. However some sort of credit towards next year would be nice. Does anyone expect their club to do that or something different?

This could also have a big impact on the landscape of soccer. I saw the earlier post about Centercourt laying off coaches and imagine others will do the same if not fold entirely.
      There should be some small refunds given as there are definitely some expenses paid for that won’t be incurred such as tournament fees, coaches travel costs (hotel, gas, per diem) and ref fees, additionally depending on the league some league fees should be given back to the clubs ECNL, EDP, GDA played half a season and if high school not even half probably only a game or two. I wouldn’t expect any refunds for coaches fees or field rentals, but there is definitely some money that should be returned or maybe used as a credit for next year.

Comment

I think we will have some sort of season in like june and july. We have to get past the hump of april and early may and then try to get kids out again. I cant imagine that we're going to try to keep everyone stuck at home for 6 months. Lets pray one of these medicines does something to help treat this damn thing.

Comment

IMO the largest impact will be the economy and the disposable income that families have to patrcipate in the current pay to play system. If the customer base decreases, many for profit clubs will be decimated, potentially folding our forced to join with other clubs. This Fall/Spring 2020/2021 maight see significant shrinkage (lol I know) in both town travel leagues like MOSA and club leagues like EDP. That may be a player boon to townrec programs, who already may have a sweetheart fields deal with the township.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the clubs that announce expansion and new collaborative inter-club agreements. For clubs already tight on cash, do they have the money pay for the field leases if initial deposits and payment plans are pushed back? Do we still see larger clubs move into new locations?

Coaches: How do coach take to being furloughed, fired or losing the contractor type employment? Will they still be able to fund the cost of soccer licenses?

Tournamants:There may a big drop in the amount tournaments going into 2020/2021 as Spring tournaments that generate revenue will be cancelled.

Comment

This really throws a curveball for us. My daughter's team fell apart (long story short: overly zealous parents decide they know better and take the team somewhere else.) so she doesn't have a team in spring. She has been practicing and hoping to get into the team through tryouts in Fall 2020 but with COVID-19, there's no clear sign that tryout may ever happen. In fact, I know some clubs start offering the existing players positions and hoping to fill the roster for Fall 2020. This means there will be fewer spots available when the tryout does happen...

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_human_being View Post
              This really throws a curveball for us. My daughter's team fell apart (long story short: overly zealous parents decide they know better and take the team somewhere else.) so she doesn't have a team in spring. She has been practicing and hoping to get into the team through tryouts in Fall 2020 but with COVID-19, there's no clear sign that tryout may ever happen. In fact, I know some clubs start offering the existing players positions and hoping to fill the roster for Fall 2020. This means there will be fewer spots available when the tryout does happen...
              That’s a really tough situation, only thing you can do is be proactive and start contacting teams you’re interested in to gather info and also share info about your daughter to see if there could be a fit. Good luck!

Comment

That’s a really tough situation, only thing you can do is be proactive and start contacting teams you’re interested in to gather info and also share info about your daughter to see if there could be a fit. Good luck!
                Definitely a tough situation, but take heart as long as you can write a check there will be a team that can take your daughter.

Comment

Every club should be giving a refund or credit towards next season. There will be some program for businesses to recoup losses, they can count the refunds towards that. It’s going to get ugly if they expect every family to just walk away from $1-2k for services not received.

Comment

3-4K left on the table for U15 and higher.

Comment

Every club should be giving a refund or credit towards next season. There will be some program for businesses to recoup losses, they can count the refunds towards that. It’s going to get ugly if they expect every family to just walk away from $1-2k for services not received.
                      True for businesses that actually matter like restaurants, barber shops, coffee shops etc not youth soccer academies, don’t think they’ll be in scope.

Comment

True for businesses that actually matter like restaurants, barber shops, coffee shops etc not youth soccer academies, don’t think they’ll be in scope.
                        Good news for MatchFit. All the cupcakes at practice will qualify them as a bakery.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X