Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wow, just screw the customer. The only party gaining from this would be the 8 "special" clubs. Let me guess who those would be.

It always cracks me up when OPL talks about the great solutions they have, and then they are shown to be totally self serving.

OPL suggests sharing the league with OYSA, OPL volunteers to take the fall league (imagine that…)

OPL suggests this model of creating permanent top-level clubs that all players will seek to join, guess which clubs those would be?
    The status quo will never work. This concept is currently working very well in other areas, even in the NW. Do some research on the BCSPL. The RCL is also set up this way but with 18 clubs. They are in the process of breaking those 18 into tiers where there will be just 8 that play in the top division. Or you can go stick your head in the sand...

Comment

I think that's relatively easy:

FC Portland
      Crossfire OR
      THUSC
      Westside Timbers
      Eastside Timbers
      Washington Timbers
      Capital FC Timbers
      Eugene Timbers

Is there any other club that could compete with these 8 across all age groups and genders?
      No... And I'm not sure you should include CFC.

Comment

FC Portland
        Crossfire OR
        THUSC
        Westside Timbers
        Eastside Timbers
        Washington Timbers
        Capital FC Timbers
        Eugene Timbers

Is there any other club that could compete with these 8 across all age groups and genders?
        CFC and Eugene are the only non-portland clubs…how do you expect to draw quality players from outside Portland? This is only club football you are talking about

Comment

The status quo will never work. This concept is currently working very well in other areas, even in the NW. Do some research on the BCSPL. The RCL is also set up this way but with 18 clubs. They are in the process of breaking those 18 into tiers where there will be just 8 that play in the top division. Or you can go stick your head in the sand...
          I am familiar with the BC model, Those clubs are more spread around regionally. Remember parents and players are your customers, some effort should be made to not overtly screw them.

Comment

If I'm a 2nd tier club, what kind of motivation will I have to make the effort to develope good players if as soon as I do, I lose them to the 8? Same with coaches. Sounds like a recipe for crappy soccer.

Comment

FC Portland
              Crossfire OR
              THUSC
              Westside Timbers
              Eastside Timbers
              Washington Timbers
              Capital FC Timbers
              Eugene Timbers

Clubs? no.
              Teams, yes. BSC Hood River has some good boys teams, Medford and Bend both field a couple of good teams boys/girls also.

Comment

If I'm a 2nd tier club, what kind of motivation will I have to make the effort to develope good players if as soon as I do, I lose them to the 8? Same with coaches. Sounds like a recipe for crappy soccer.
                This already happens without being said

Comment

Clubs? no.
                  Teams, yes. BSC Hood River has some good boys teams, Medford and Bend both field a couple of good teams boys/girls also.
                  Exactly. There are one-off's out there but teh 8 clubs listed have to be considered the top 8 "clubs".

Comment

Your motivation will be to hire, train, motivate the best coaches you can find. they are your life line to continued existence and not the means to the end.

There are coaches that have left clubs for various reasons and their whole team went with them or a large group of players followed them hoping to be on that coaches team when they hit the ground at the new club.

Comment

Wow, just screw the customer. The only party gaining from this would be the 8 "special" clubs. Let me guess who those would be.

It always cracks me up when OPL talks about the great solutions they have, and then they are shown to be totally self serving.

OPL suggests sharing the league with OYSA, OPL volunteers to take the fall league (imagine that…)

OPL suggests this model of creating permanent top-level clubs that all players will seek to join, guess which clubs those would be?
                      Not sure I like the proposal, but wouldn't TA clubs benefit from this? In Clark County, WT_FC would be one of the clubs; seems that would pull top players from Pacific and Salmon Creek. On the Eastside of Portland, Eastside Timbers would be able to pull from NEU, PCU, and SEU to an even greater extent than they do now.

Westside of town is probably more complicated because you have a number of clubs in the mix (Westside Timbers, THUSC, FCP), but on the eastside and Clark County that proposal would benefit TA teams to a great extent.

If we build confidence in how decisions are made at the entry-level (u11 or whatever), still like the promotion/relegation model. Just seems fairer after you work out the entry into the system (maybe you do a tournament at the the entry-age and every age year thereafter it is based on promotion and relegation). However, all moot in split scenario; both leagues scrambling to fill top-flight.

Comment

Basically there is a QT for U11 now at a speciried summer tournament. The teams that want NWCL have to play in a specified tournament that rotates each year. As I understand it this is also the main criteria to be considered premier for the U11's. There is also the meeting and politics and teams must retain a certain number of players from the previous year.

From experience, let me tell you, you do not want to do QT and PQT's every year. If your team gets new players, coach,travels, does well in summer tournaments, this should also be considered. It would be great if there was a neutral party that could determine this, but not going to happen.

When the OPL started the idea was to improve in this area with many promises... Unfortunately, we have a whole new set of problems to deal with now.

Comment

I am familiar with the BC model, Those clubs are more spread around regionally. Remember parents and players are your customers, some effort should be made to not overtly screw them.
                          Perhaps you specify that one of the 8 clubs must be from southern Oregon (boundaries to be defined) and one from eastern Oregon (boundaries to be defined). These could be current clubs, combinations of current clubs working together to field teams in the top "premier" division, or a completely new club put together just for this purpose. This would then reduce the number of "Portland to Eugene" clubs to 6, necessitating some clubs working together to gain acceptance into the league. Maybe WashT/Eastside, or Crossfire/United or FCP/Westside or... who knows. You may even want to impose boundaries based on some socio-economic scheme and only allow 1 premier club within each boundary area.

Then you go one step further like in BC and make it so that only players from these 8 premier clubs are eligible for ODP and/or Timbers-Thorns Academy. Then you'll see the best players move quickly to these 8 clubs, ensuring that there is always good competition within Oregon at the premier level.

To make this work, the Timbers need to back away and run their Academies only. Let OYSA or some other administrative body run the league and ODP, and ensure that the 8 clubs are actually living up to what they agreed to when they were accepted.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X