X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring back PLQT's

they need to bring back some old school-

you used to have to qualify in a tournament in order to make your respective league.

a tournament played at the end of July...

top 8 teams make Premier
    second 8 2nd division and so on.....

unify the state and bring this back and parents will be happy

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    they need to bring back some old school-

you used to have to qualify in a tournament in order to make your respective league.

a tournament played at the end of July...

top 8 teams make Premier
    second 8 2nd division and so on.....

unify the state and bring this back and parents will be happy
    People complained about the QT's even though it was the best way to divide the age groups into divisions. I'd rather earn my way to into premier then to have some docs sit in a room and decide my fate based on politics.

Comment

People complained about the QT's even though it was the best way to divide the age groups into divisions. I'd rather earn my way to into premier then to have some docs sit in a room and decide my fate based on politics.
      A large part of the complaints about the qualifying tournaments (the QT and PQT as I recall) were based on the tournament fees which were high. That, and the first part of qualifying usually involved games with hopelessly mismatched teams. Paying $675 or whatever it was to be on either end of a summer weekend of 10-0 scores was a waste of time for everybody involved. It was, however, a big money maker for OYSA back in the high overhead days. It also resulted in many circumstances where a random tie or upset win put a team in Gold that got shellacked every game during the season, or a team in Silver that had no competitive games because it should have been in Gold. OYSA was notoriously inflexible about changing the leagues because they had to preserve the "sanctity" of the qualifying tournament.

How about if the DOCs sat in a room and decided to do their best to form competitive leagues and were also able to make changes midstream if there were competition problems? That's what is supposed to happen. It's always easier to come up with a conspiracy theory involving politics and favoritism but there usually isn't one.

Comment

There are/were politics with seeding for tournaments too. So really not much of a better option.

Comment

Yeah, tough thing to have one tournament gauge your whole Fall season. Families take vacation or kids have other commitments, so summer tourneys can be hit and miss. I liked OPL promotion/relegation system and capping Premier at 8. Kept the DOC politics and the luck of summer tourney draw out of things, if you were good, you stay or moved up, if you weren't, you moved down. Anyone know if OYSA is putting this into play? It seems that some OYSA Prem age groups have 8 teams but some are at 7 or 9, one is even at 14 (U14B). Is OYSA letting teams self select since this is it's 1st Fall Season and then will demote or promote once there is an "official" history? There aren't more than 8 "Premier" U14B teams in the state, so my guess is there is going to be some big blowouts for the bottom 4-6 teams.

Comment

The best solution is to cap Premier at 8 with no relegation or promotion. Just 1 team from each of 8 clubs. Same clubs at all age groups. If some good teams are left out it will only be for one year. The following year all the best players will be at one of those 8 clubs... Then no more whining about seeding for league.

Comment

The best solution is to cap Premier at 8 with no relegation or promotion. Just 1 team from each of 8 clubs. Same clubs at all age groups. If some good teams are left out it will only be for one year. The following year all the best players will be at one of those 8 clubs... Then no more whining about seeding for league.
              That's a horrible idea, basically a death sentence for teams/clubs not in the "8". What's wrong with the promotion/relegation model?

Comment

How do you pick your 8 clubs?

Comment

That's a horrible idea, basically a death sentence for teams/clubs not in the "8". What's wrong with the promotion/relegation model?
                  No death sentence. The other clubs become feeders. If they don't like it they can start their own league. But they won't as they still won't have the best players.

Comment

Develop comprehensive requirements for how the clubs must operate and include an annual audit to ensure they are adhering to the US Soccer Long Term Development Plan. All clubs must put a team in each age group and gender. Then have clubs apply for the 8 spots. Smaller clubs could merge to apply for one of the spots. Only problem is that the administrative level of youth soccer in OR is so incompetent and corrupt that you wouldn't get unbiased selections.

Comment

Not with the Split

There is no way to find 8 quality teams in every age/sex with just OYSA clubs.

End the Split now GAVIN

Comment

Develop comprehensive requirements for how the clubs must operate and include an annual audit to ensure they are adhering to the US Soccer Long Term Development Plan. All clubs must put a team in each age group and gender. Then have clubs apply for the 8 spots. Smaller clubs could merge to apply for one of the spots. Only problem is that the administrative level of youth soccer in OR is so incompetent and corrupt that you wouldn't get unbiased selections.
                        That sounds great as long as your in the Portland metro area, those outside need not apply

Comment

This highlights one of the biggest issues with US club. If this suggestion came from the OPL/US Club who do you think the 8 clubs would be? Because OPL is built around 8 clubs (or less now?) no-one would trust their recommendation of this kind of solution to not be totally self-serving.

In a way a version of this exists with the Regional Training Centers. These centers feed into the state ODP pool, which in theory should draw the best of the best. The nice thing about this type of application is it still allows kids to play in their local clubs for league play

Comment

I think that's relatively easy:

FC Portland
                            Crossfire OR
                            THUSC
                            Westside Timbers
                            Eastside Timbers
                            Washington Timbers
                            Capital FC Timbers
                            Eugene Timbers

Is there any other club that could compete with these 8 across all age groups and genders?

Comment

Wow, just screw the customer. The only party gaining from this would be the 8 "special" clubs. Let me guess who those would be.

It always cracks me up when OPL talks about the great solutions they have, and then they are shown to be totally self serving.

OPL suggests sharing the league with OYSA, OPL volunteers to take the fall league (imagine that…)

OPL suggests this model of creating permanent top-level clubs that all players will seek to join, guess which clubs those would be?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X