Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just so you know, yes, WT fans that know about Rubio are very happy that he is living his dream. Obviously only the one person on this forum is obsessed with making Rubio above all others. The rest of us know and respect all kids that have come up through youth soccer programs. Before Rubio there were a few others. The fact that Rubio is playing in Holland and is on the MNT friendlies team is great. Again, others have done well and others after Rubio will do so too. I know the WT program (and ODP ranks) had Chad Barrrett, Danny Mwanga, and Erick Hurtado. Eastside had Stevie Evans. Fc Portland has had their share and I believe LO had some too. Congrats to all. No need to say that one is greater than the others because it is a subjective point. Please, do not judge a club by the comments of one biased opinion. Thank you.
    The whole point of the thread is that it's subjective.

Comment

Actually most players with journeyman experience in the MLS get called up with the US National Team. Portland Timbers Sub Defender Mikey Harrington comes to mind in the last year for example. Also the particular team that Rubio plays for in Holland is not the same caliber as Seattle Sounders, LA Galaxy and a host of other MLS teams. The current version of the eredivse in Holland is not a league filled with great top flight European teams. Historically PSV and Ajax use to be relevant at the higher levels, not so anymore. To understand the level of this league Jozy Altidore scores more in 1 season in this league with a mid level club than he does in his entire playing career in the MLS. It's not that special of league unless you need it to be for your argument, which seems to be the tiny shred you cling to. All the best.

Active players today Howard is the best. Unless you know of someone else who is active.
      Most journeyman MLS players don't get called up to the national team. Of those who do, on a few actually play in a friendly much less a game that counts. It usually seems to be journeymen from Europe who get called up and actually get to play.

Since MLS teams don't play European teams in meaningful games we'll never know if you're right or wrong about how they'd do against European teams. They do play teams from Mexico and Central America in their version of champions league and it doesn't go so well. I'm not sure that I'd compare those teams outside of the US unless you're comparing them to MLS teams from Canada. I do remember watching Timbers play Ajax and it looked like men vs. boys even though the score was close.

Friedel is still active and I already said I thought he was better. I do think that Howard is a better player than Friedel is now. Friedel is in his 40s so we can cut him some slack. I think Landon Donovan is better than Howard and he's still active until Sunday. If we're only talking Americans in Europe, Rossi is better than Howard even though he decided to play for Italy instead of the US. He's active but he's usually hurt. I don't know if Howard would make the Italian NT or not but if he did, he probably wouldn't be starting over Buffon.

Can you name other players from NJ better than Howard?

Comment

Let it go

On the subject of journeymen defenders getting called up. Much like most unproven 20 year olds don't get called up to the USNMT, but it does happen in the Klisnman era. Notably in Rubio's case and other recent other Klinsman selections. He surprises everyone. If you want to extrapolate about his bizarre choices of who gets called up, please extend the 'special/best' label it to all his head scratching call ups.

A strong AJAX team which they use to have, made all of their opponents look like boys.

Regarding Rossi it's like the saying if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle. He has no american allegiance so it's pure fantasy to call him the best american player. Unless that you think it helps your argument. It doesn't.

I can't name any Goalkeepers from NJ better than Howard can you?

Most journeyman MLS players don't get called up to the national team. Of those who do, on a few actually play in a friendly much less a game that counts. It usually seems to be journeymen from Europe who get called up and actually get to play.

Since MLS teams don't play European teams in meaningful games we'll never know if you're right or wrong about how they'd do against European teams. They do play teams from Mexico and Central America in their version of champions league and it doesn't go so well. I'm not sure that I'd compare those teams outside of the US unless you're comparing them to MLS teams from Canada. I do remember watching Timbers play Ajax and it looked like men vs. boys even though the score was close.

Friedel is still active and I already said I thought he was better. I do think that Howard is a better player than Friedel is now. Friedel is in his 40s so we can cut him some slack. I think Landon Donovan is better than Howard and he's still active until Sunday. If we're only talking Americans in Europe, Rossi is better than Howard even though he decided to play for Italy instead of the US. He's active but he's usually hurt. I don't know if Howard would make the Italian NT or not but if he did, he probably wouldn't be starting over Buffon.

Can you name other players from NJ better than Howard?

Comment

On the subject of journeymen defenders getting called up. Much like most unproven 20 year olds don't get called up to the USNMT, but it does happen in the Klisnman era. Notably in Rubio's case and other recent other Klinsman selections. He surprises everyone. If you want to extrapolate about his bizarre choices of who gets called up, please extend the 'special/best' label it to all his head scratching call ups.

A strong AJAX team which they use to have, made all of their opponents look like boys.

Regarding Rossi it's like the saying if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle. He has no american allegiance so it's pure fantasy to call him the best american player. Unless that you think it helps your argument. It doesn't.

I can't name any Goalkeepers from NJ better than Howard can you?
          Your arguments get weaker each round. The Ajax game was three years ago. They'd smash any MLS team tomorrow. They are in the Champions league now. Most people who know anything about US soccer weren't surprised by Rubio's call up. Apparently you were. Rossi was born and raised in New Jersey until he chose to go to Italy. That makes him from New Jersey. That makes him just as American as your boy Howard. Meola is from New Jersey some might consider him better than Howard. He made it just as far in the World Cup as Howard has. Why'd you pass on my question? You should be able to name at least two off the top of your head.

Comment

Time to bump a Rubio thread back to the top. An assist in the first U20 World Cup game, and 2 goals in the second. Not too bad. His first complete season in Holland wasn't too bad either.

Comment

It's too bad WSTs decided to sue him for money since he made it big. Dirtbags.

Comment

It's too bad WSTs decided to sue him for money since he made it big. Dirtbags.
                I think they are pursuing training compensation, something clubs most everywhere in the world get, but which US Soccer has opted not to pursue on behalf of their clubs. That in itself is not suing Rubio.
                Last edited by Slow Xavi; 06-02-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post
                  I think they are pursuing training compensation, something clubs most everywhere in the world get, but which US Soccer has opted not to pursue on behalf of their clubs. That in itself is not suing Rubio.
                  The difference in most of the world is that players don't pay to play. He paid for his training. now greedy WST wants more. WST is just proved how unethical and nasty they really are.

Comment

The difference in most of the world is that players don't pay to play. He paid for his training. now greedy WST wants more. WST is just proved how unethical and nasty they really are.
                    Not only off topic, but not true. That's the argument by WSM. He didn't pay to play.

Comment

Not only off topic, but not true. That's the argument by WSM. He didn't pay to play.
                      Rubio was a scholarship player but that doesn't mean he played for free. Additionally, scholarship money comes from other player fees. It's not a liability the club covers.

This would be a valid claim if say the DA developed him and he moved on but that didn't happen. This is a non profit pay to pay club. Scholarship or not it's a total bullsh!t move, it's greedy, and unethical. They want compensation for using other people's money to develop him.

Comment

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...-training-fees

Typical scholarship kid. Why do clubs even offer scholarship? It is not like any of these players are ever grateful for a club sponsoring their training fees.

Comment

Not even close to what others have done from Oregon

Time to bump a Rubio thread back to the top. An assist in the first U20 World Cup game, and 2 goals in the second. Not too bad. His first complete season in Holland wasn't too bad either.
                          So far the US has played Myanmar (Burma) & New Zealand. Sorry these are not countries that anyone hangs their hat on for achievements in the sport of football.

Another WSM Product did something spectacular 10 years ago in the same competition vs Argentina.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014...entina-win-1-0

Please once this standard has been eclipised by an Oregonian, (maybe it will be Rubio, maybe not) then re start this thread.

Twitter/Facebook/Instagram get the message out very quickly these days and people react even quicker with reaction and opinion.

Inflating performances vs 3rd world youth soccer teams.

Be patient--Chad Barrett currently is a journeyman forward in the MLS and based on achievements in the U20 WC for the USA he should be the greatest Oregonian of all time.

Give it time and perspective.

Comment

There's certainly an argument to be made for Barrett. It would be better if he considered himself from Oregon.

Comment

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...-training-fees

Typical scholarship kid. Why do clubs even offer scholarship? It is not like any of these players are ever grateful for a club sponsoring their training fees.
                              The club doesn't actually sponsor players. The club uses member fee surplus to sponsor players. This is why WST has no real claim. They use member surplus to provide need based sponsorship (not merit based) for players to draw more players. Don't kid yourself if you think WST would provide a need based scholarship to second tier players.

Comment

Correct Info

The club doesn't actually sponsor players. The club uses member fee surplus to sponsor players. This is why WST has no real claim. They use member surplus to provide need based sponsorship (not merit based) for players to draw more players. Don't kid yourself if you think WST would provide a need based scholarship to second tier players.
                                You obviously have no clue of what you are talking about. WST offers financial assistance based on need, regardless if the players are on first team, second team, third team. My kid was one of those on the second that was given assistance. Thanks to them my child was able to able to play. I don't understand the hatred on this forum for WST, maybe its the jealousy for their success.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X