Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

League Conflicts

We can all agree that the Timbers/OYSA/OPL situation is a mess, whichever side your one.

I am disappointed that Sunil Gulati is allowing/creating the same thing at a much higher level. Basically putting MLS in scheduling conflict with the international competition opportunities.
    The only way I can see that working is if MLS starts competing internationally with European (and other) teams. I do not think MLS teams are quite ready for that, regardless of the outcome of the MLS all-star game.

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...lf-destruction

Originally posted by WetSox View Post
    We can all agree that the Timbers/OYSA/OPL situation is a mess, whichever side your one.

I am disappointed that Sunil Gulati is allowing/creating the same thing at a much higher level. Basically putting MLS in scheduling conflict with the international competition opportunities.
    The only way I can see that working is if MLS starts competing internationally with European (and other) teams. I do not think MLS teams are quite ready for that, regardless of the outcome of the MLS all-star game.

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...lf-destruction
    Pretty simple. Force every northern team to cover their stadium and switch to the Aug-May calendar for the MLS. It's only money :)

Comment

Not that it is a great model, but Russia obviously has pretty severe winters and just aligned their calendar more closely with FIFA's. They do take a 3 month winter break (December-March), which could be looked at.

MLS on a couple of fronts continues to be frustrating and this is a large one. The last MLS final had the lowest ratings in the history of league (a few months prior to US National Team getting record ratings for the world cup), so its not like the status quo's calendar is hitting it out of the park. Further summer home games for Dallas, Houston, LA and potentially Miami are pretty awful (particularly in the afternoon).

Counter arguments - laid out here at #3, mostly around weather and that it is easier to compete with MLB than football, basketball, and hockey. Again I point back to the horrible ratings for MLS final under the current format and would argue soccer has a diehard segment that isn't going to choose some of those other sports over it, but obviously MLS has looked pretty hard at this issue.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X