Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you even mention ECNL in a post, the anti-ECNL parents go nuts! All I am saying is that you need to get on a top 5 team, or an ECNL team. You can't stay on Palm Tree Soccer Club and be the big fish in the little pond and expect to get recruited! You need to play on a very good team if you want your kid to get recruited. The team's in the last flight at Disney will never get a serious look, sorry!
    Parents on Talking-soccer don't get an ECNL kickback. Like you I am not sure why people have to be negative about the league, I am happy we finally got what we paid for with ECNL. Before ECNL I feel like I paid a lot and got very little in return.

Comment

Parents on Talking-soccer don't get an ECNL kickback. Like you I am not sure why people have to be negative about the league, I am happy we finally got what we paid for with ECNL. Before ECNL I feel like I paid a lot and got very little in return.
      No one is going cray cray, just tired of the never ending ECNL drum banging. I've had one go through the league and another that is doing very well non ECNL. It is good, but isn't for all and isn't the only option. It also isn't cheap and has a lot of travel.

Also, don't forget TS isn't just parents. Plenty of club owners and coaches frequent the site and have not qualms about bashing their competitors or pumping up their own programs.

Comment

If you even mention ECNL in a post, the anti-ECNL parents go nuts! All I am saying is that you need to get on a top 5 team, or an ECNL team. You can't stay on Palm Tree Soccer Club and be the big fish in the little pond and expect to get recruited! You need to play on a very good team if you want your kid to get recruited. The team's in the last flight at Disney will never get a serious look, sorry!
        There's 75 teams in ECNL. That's 825 starters graduating every year. Just for D1 alone there are 6,000 positions on teams. Even if you took 4 years of ECNL rosters it only fills up half the positions for D1. Lots of states don't even have ECNL and Florida only has 4 clubs with it and that is most likely the max number we will get. Even if you let them grow by 2 more clubs that gives the same amount as Texas for a smaller population. That would be 66 scholarships for ECNL starters and that wouldn't even cover the needs of the Florida D1 schools. None of this takes into account D2 schools or NAIA.

The ECNL numbers don't match up. Yes they have a soccer program and yes they put girls in college but if all of their starters got scholarships it wouldn't even cover half of what D1s give out.

You're being dishonest when you sell it as the only way to go and that being at mid tiered clubs do not lead to scholarships.

Comment

There's 75 teams in ECNL. That's 825 starters graduating every year. Just for D1 alone there are 6,000 positions on teams. Even if you took 4 years of ECNL rosters it only fills up half the positions for D1. Lots of states don't even have ECNL and Florida only has 4 clubs with it and that is most likely the max number we will get. Even if you let them grow by 2 more clubs that gives the same amount as Texas for a smaller population. That would be 66 scholarships for ECNL starters and that wouldn't even cover the needs of the Florida D1 schools. None of this takes into account D2 schools or NAIA.

The ECNL numbers don't match up. Yes they have a soccer program and yes they put girls in college but if all of their starters got scholarships it wouldn't even cover half of what D1s give out.

You're being dishonest when you sell it as the only way to go and that being at mid tiered clubs do not lead to scholarships.
          Oh kindred spirit thank you for repeating what I have been saying for awhile now. Yes ECNL is a highly competitive league that attracts college coaches form top programs. But there are hundreds of programs out there, all needing players, many of which can offer some scholarship $$$. If for whatever reason ECNL won't work for your daughter (commitment, travel, cost, location....) there are many other good soccer clubs out there that can train them.

BTW some ECNL clubs are in fact worse than many non ECNL clubs but no clubs ever get relegated. That's why there's a push for girls DA - institute some quality standards finally.

Comment

Not a math major I take it. D1 schools average fewer than 4 full scholarships per year. Top players are looking at top schools, maybe top 100 max. That's 400 scholarships per year, not 6,000. So who's numbers don't add up? You want to settle for schools 200+? Or do you want to play where the odds are significantly in your favor?

Comment

Not a math major I take it. D1 schools average fewer than 4 full scholarships per year. Top players are looking at top schools, maybe top 100 max. That's 400 scholarships per year, not 6,000. So who's numbers don't add up? You want to settle for schools 200+? Or do you want to play where the odds are significantly in your favor?
              Exactly. And don't forget about the International players now taking up spots.

Comment

Oh kindred spirit thank you for repeating what I have been saying for awhile now. Yes ECNL is a highly competitive league that attracts college coaches form top programs. But there are hundreds of programs out there, all needing players, many of which can offer some scholarship $$$. If for whatever reason ECNL won't work for your daughter (commitment, travel, cost, location....) there are many other good soccer clubs out there that can train them.

BTW some ECNL clubs are in fact worse than many non ECNL clubs but no clubs ever get relegated. That's why there's a push for girls DA - institute some quality standards finally.
                And where will the Girl's DA clubs come from? ECNL.

Just accept the formula and move on. Gawd I get tired of the "yes, but" crowd that are always pointing to the kid that made it outside of ECNL.

For the last time people...

ECNL is not a lock for a D1 ride

Not playing ECNL does not mean you will be relegated to DIII and NAIA

Your college ride is determined by how good you play, your grades and how athletic you are. Top D1 programs don't offer scholarships to big girls with no control or head for the game. They also don't give rides to undersized girls with great moves and no speed. You have to be the total package.

What makes ECNL the preferred league is that more girls that are the total package play in the league than any other league. Coaches get to see how great players size up and other great players. Coaches are not able to assess a player when she is national caliber against rec players.

Moving on...

Comment

... Oh, and by the way, according to Top Drawer Soccer more than half of the top 150 ranked 2018 players in the country are already committed. That's 75 + of those precious scholarships already gone. What are you waiting for?

Comment

... Oh, and by the way, according to Top Drawer Soccer more than half of the top 150 ranked 2018 players in the country are already committed. That's 75 + of those precious scholarships already gone. What are you waiting for?
                    Most of the D1 and DII scholarships for 2017 are locked up. This summer will be a feeding frenzy for 2018. Get your 2018 kid in the ID camps. Not the big corporate soccer camps. Those are total BS. Here is how you do it:

1. Determine your top 5 schools. Academics first, playing opportunity second.

2. Save up about $2000

3. Put your kid in those ID camps. The actual college team ID camp. Not some laundry list of coaches camp

4. Work with your kid to make sure they talk to the coaches. You paid for the time so you should get feedback.

5. A college coach will tell her the truth. The pure unvarnished assessment of her chance of becoming a player on that university team in 2018. These coaches aren't pumping you for club fees or repeat camps. You are one and done. That is how you know they are telling you the truth.

6. If you have a shot at making the team, do everything the coach tells you to do.

7. Pick out pants, socks and shoes that are team colors for your NLI signing in February 2018.

Comment

We were having a civil conversation until you decided to be a dickhead. What are you basing your Top 100 on? Quality of school or quality of soccer program. Most of the top 10 schools in the country aren't in the top 100 for soccer. Would you turn down scholarships to schools like these Villanova, Yale, UMass, Wake Forest, Georgia, Penn, Columbia, Baylor, and Cornell to play at South Alabama, South Florida, or West Virginia all Top 25 teams right now? There are too many variables to say these are the best colleges and if you don't get it to one of these you suck. With the cost of education and the rare chance to play college sports I think a lot of players and parents are happy to go anywhere.

My daughter is a 2018 and she has a verbal commit to an SEC school. Full ride and never been part of an ECNL team. I'm trying to give advice to help everyone. You're making a sales pitch and bashing anyone who disagrees.

To the OP this is another reason to avoid ECNL if possible. You won't have to deal with these kind of *******s.

Comment

We were having a civil conversation until you decided to be a dickhead. What are you basing your Top 100 on? Quality of school or quality of soccer program. Most of the top 10 schools in the country aren't in the top 100 for soccer. Would you turn down scholarships to schools like these Villanova, Yale, UMass, Wake Forest, Georgia, Penn, Columbia, Baylor, and Cornell to play at South Alabama, South Florida, or West Virginia all Top 25 teams right now? There are too many variables to say these are the best colleges and if you don't get it to one of these you suck. With the cost of education and the rare chance to play college sports I think a lot of players and parents are happy to go anywhere.

My daughter is a 2018 and she has a verbal commit to an SEC school. Full ride and never been part of an ECNL team. I'm trying to give advice to help everyone. You're making a sales pitch and bashing anyone who disagrees.

To the OP this is another reason to avoid ECNL if possible. You won't have to deal with these kind of *******s.

Ivy League schools don't give athletic scholarships. Consider yourself exposed as.s clown.

http://www.ivyleague.com/information/psa/index

Your kid has a full ride to a SEC School....and I have beachfront property in Everglades City.

Comment

This is the OP. I'm aware of ECNL being a mixed bag. Some teams are clearly top of the heap and there are plenty that are no where near the top. There are other options. Also, ECNL is far too expensive for many familes, mine included. We do not have the funds to fly all over the country. It would be a shame to think that only well heeled kids get a shot at playing in college.

Comment

Full ride to an SEC school? Unless you are a foreigner I call BS! No girls from Florida are on total free rides to any SEC school, sorry!

Comment

The dickhead was the guy posting that there are 6,000 openings in D1 women's soccer like every girl in the state could expect a full ride somewhere. I'm just trying to inject a dose of reality into the discussion. And you're right, I would much prefer my daughter attend Villanova, Wake Forest, or Baylor than South Alabama (is that even a real school?) and I won't even gig you for the Ivy League misstatement. My point is, if you're a top player, wanting to be seen seriously by top D1 soccer program coaches, your odds are better playing ECNL, that's all. Not that only ECNL players are being recruited.

Interestingly, there are only three 2018 Florida commits to the SEC, and one of those plays ECNL. So if you're a parent of one of the other two, congratulations. But you know as well as I do that they were not scouted at club games. ODP, Id2, and good grades will get you everywhere.

Comment

Full ride to an SEC school? Unless you are a foreigner I call BS! No girls from Florida are on total free rides to any SEC school, sorry!
                                OP's kid could be getting academic and financial aid to make it a full ride. Most athletic grants are 30-50%. Having top grades will often get you far more $ than athletic and it stays with you for four years. Use your ECNL travel budget for tutors and stick with a high quality team outside of ECNL. Many top academic D3 schools can reduce your bill to equal that or better many D1 programs if you've got the grades and scores. D3s don't do all their shopping at ECNL showcases, in fact many don't at all.

The other thing the ECNL marketing machine fails to mention is the transfer/dropout rate is quite high. That 50% athletic scholarship is great for a year or two while you still have it. Once it's gone can you still afford it?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X