Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    OP here. She is looking at top 100. Highest on the list is in the 40s. She is a MF.
    I wouldn't wait until next season to move and hope it works out. You need to get started now and get busy doing the leg work. If your DOC can help that's great but don't count on it. You still have a couple of events to try to get her looked at. Depending on the school they might come for a state cup game especially if you can make it into the further rounds where there will also be other potential recruits. Try your best to get her guest playing at Disney, President's Day probably too late but Memorial Day. I'm not a big fan of paying top dollar for ID camps without knowing about some level of interest. I would create a list of 12 real possibilities based on $$$ and grades. So many parents think if their daughter is good at soccer their grades, SAT, and ACT will be overlooked. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Your daughters aren't special, they're thousands of recruits and most programs don't want to risk a scholarship on an athlete that can't graduate. It's wasted time and money. 3.5 and up and a 28 on the ACT will get you into 95% of D1s and it also opens the door for potential academic money. Don't worry about what bucket the coach pulls the money from, just get the money. Bright futures in Florida is great but be sure to understand what is required to maintain it. Known a few players that lost it by getting a few C's and then having to scramble to cover the lost money. Once you lose your Bright futures you can't get it back. Which leads into picking a school that is a good academic fit. Be realistic about your kid going to Georgia Tech vs Georgia as an example. Once you have a list of 12, google the hell out of the programs and coaches. Find their emails and possibly phone numbers. Call them, email them, have your DOC contact them. Do whatever it takes to get them out to see your player. From there if you're lucky enough to get looks and feedback you could then pick some ID camps to attend to further her exposure. At the very least you want to enter next fall having contacted several schools and know who's interested and who's not then you can decide on what level of commitment you need to make. I hope she's doing ODP. It's not as good as it used to be but it is also great for exposure. Most of the ODP coaches are also college coaches. Known several players to get noticed at ODP and get scholarships that way. Long story short get busy. The coaches will not come to you.

Good luck.

Comment

I wouldn't wait until next season to move and hope it works out. You need to get started now and get busy doing the leg work. If your DOC can help that's great but don't count on it. You still have a couple of events to try to get her looked at. Depending on the school they might come for a state cup game especially if you can make it into the further rounds where there will also be other potential recruits. Try your best to get her guest playing at Disney, President's Day probably too late but Memorial Day. I'm not a big fan of paying top dollar for ID camps without knowing about some level of interest. I would create a list of 12 real possibilities based on $$$ and grades. So many parents think if their daughter is good at soccer their grades, SAT, and ACT will be overlooked. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Your daughters aren't special, they're thousands of recruits and most programs don't want to risk a scholarship on an athlete that can't graduate. It's wasted time and money. 3.5 and up and a 28 on the ACT will get you into 95% of D1s and it also opens the door for potential academic money. Don't worry about what bucket the coach pulls the money from, just get the money. Bright futures in Florida is great but be sure to understand what is required to maintain it. Known a few players that lost it by getting a few C's and then having to scramble to cover the lost money. Once you lose your Bright futures you can't get it back. Which leads into picking a school that is a good academic fit. Be realistic about your kid going to Georgia Tech vs Georgia as an example. Once you have a list of 12, google the hell out of the programs and coaches. Find their emails and possibly phone numbers. Call them, email them, have your DOC contact them. Do whatever it takes to get them out to see your player. From there if you're lucky enough to get looks and feedback you could then pick some ID camps to attend to further her exposure. At the very least you want to enter next fall having contacted several schools and know who's interested and who's not then you can decide on what level of commitment you need to make. I hope she's doing ODP. It's not as good as it used to be but it is also great for exposure. Most of the ODP coaches are also college coaches. Known several players to get noticed at ODP and get scholarships that way. Long story short get busy. The coaches will not come to you.

Good luck.
      I'd say good luck too because if the op did need all this direction, they are headed in the wrong direction or just a troll.. take your pick.

Comment

OP here. She is looking at top 100. Highest on the list is in the 40s. She is a MF.
        I have a one girl playing college ball, and another on her way next year so listen up. Do your best to get her on a top 5 team in Florida, or an ECNL team. Those teams will all get plenty of exposure and coaches are more inclined to come see her play if they know she is playing on a top team against good competition. Playing on a mid-tier team in Florida would throw up a flag to any college coach. Do not believe these people telling you that you only need to try harder, go to id camps, etc. Coaches want to see your daughter play against good competition. Also, playing with a better team will make your daughter better. It may be tough for you and your daughter to make this step to a new club team, but it is one of many sacrifices she will be making if she wants to be a college soccer player. Good luck!

Comment

I have a one girl playing college ball, and another on her way next year so listen up. Do your best to get her on a top 5 team in Florida, or an ECNL team. Those teams will all get plenty of exposure and coaches are more inclined to come see her play if they know she is playing on a top team against good competition. Playing on a mid-tier team in Florida would throw up a flag to any college coach. Do not believe these people telling you that you only need to try harder, go to id camps, etc. Coaches want to see your daughter play against good competition. Also, playing with a better team will make your daughter better. It may be tough for you and your daughter to make this step to a new club team, but it is one of many sacrifices she will be making if she wants to be a college soccer player. Good luck!
          Love how the pro ECNL fans assume anyone can make a team just because they want to. Spots rarely open up (injury) and many rosters are oversubscribed to being with. Most ECNL teams are part of big clubs and they're more likely to bring in a player from inside their organization.

So, assuming the player cannot or doesn't want to be ECNL then what? Much of the other advice is spot on OP. Follow that.

Comment

Love how the pro ECNL fans assume anyone can make a team just because they want to. Spots rarely open up (injury) and many rosters are oversubscribed to being with. Most ECNL teams are part of big clubs and they're more likely to bring in a player from inside their organization.

So, assuming the player cannot or doesn't want to be ECNL then what? Much of the other advice is spot on OP. Follow that.
            It is not a serious suggestion. The same is said on every forum, everyday. It is marketing.

Comment

It is not a serious suggestion. The same is said on every forum, everyday. It is marketing.
              ECNL folks worried about GDA? Crank up the marketing campaign.

Comment

My daughter is a top player at a mid-tier club and has not gotten any feedback from college coaches as yet. She has friends that are on A teams at more prominent clubs, that tend to go to more prestigious showcases that have gotten feedback from college coaches. Should I be concerned that she has not heard back from coaches she's written to? How important is it to get to better showcases, like Disney?
                Ok your daughter in your eye's she is top tier player on mid tier team. How does she stack up. Has she gone out for ODP or id2 or any us soccer trainings. How does she do against top tier programs in Florida OCYS,FKK,Jacksonville,WFF,TBU,FESA and Sunrise. These all higher tier programs on girls side. All of them have the top tier programs to get seen. OCYS,Jacksonville,WFF/TBU all have ECNL programs. FKK and Sunrise are always in region 3 league and and top tiers at major regular club tournaments. Fesa also plays in top tier show cases and tournaments. All Have a lot to offer its about exposure and playing the best with the best. If your daughter is good enough to make one of these teams things will start to happen. A lot of these coaches have the contacts and history to get daughter where you need to be. But a lot of work also has to be done by yourself. You need a good assessment of where your daughter fits in. Money is running out a lot of classes filling up their 2018 class right now. Top programs almost done. All is not a loss lower division 1 and division 2 and 3 all have very nice programs. Still also some higher division 1 with money but you must start now. Id programs waste of time and money. Also look at maybe look at guest playing with some of these clubs. Get your daughter n top tier program. PLaying in crappy tournaments with crappy team isnt going to get your daughter anything. Move quickly.

Comment

My daughter played up in U18 last year. Her team was a solid sweet 16 team. She played well at Disney, Maryland and a couple of other showcases. There were at least 25 coaches at one of our games. She attended a couple of ID camps. About five coaches (four from Florida and one out of state) spoke to her and e-mailed her. When they realized she was really a junior, they stayed in contact and discussed how financial packages worked. She was excited, but over the holidays this year, she had former teammates over the house that were playing in their 1st year of college. Some good stories and some not so good stories. She decided it wasn't for her. She told the coaches that she decided to go academically, instead of playing soccer. One coach was a little frustrated and mentioned that she knew a few girls she recruited were going that route, even though they were talented enough to play at D2 or NAIA.

She's going to one of the big three school. I can't tell you what the right move is, because your daughter will be the one to make the choice. All you can do is support her. She's getting some academic scholarship money plus what we saved just for that, so she won't have to take out a loan. I honesty don't know how it helps or hurts her either way. She'd weighed advantages and disadvantages, and she just wanted to be a student. My advise is to start the NCAA or NAIA paperwork, if she's serious. Go to your club's college recruitment adviser, we have one. They should have time tables and paperwork available. They should help walk her through it. And good luck.

Comment

My daughter played up in U18 last year. Her team was a solid sweet 16 team. She played well at Disney, Maryland and a couple of other showcases. There were at least 25 coaches at one of our games. She attended a couple of ID camps. About five coaches (four from Florida and one out of state) spoke to her and e-mailed her. When they realized she was really a junior, they stayed in contact and discussed how financial packages worked. She was excited, but over the holidays this year, she had former teammates over the house that were playing in their 1st year of college. Some good stories and some not so good stories. She decided it wasn't for her. She told the coaches that she decided to go academically, instead of playing soccer. One coach was a little frustrated and mentioned that she knew a few girls she recruited were going that route, even though they were talented enough to play at D2 or NAIA.

She's going to one of the big three school. I can't tell you what the right move is, because your daughter will be the one to make the choice. All you can do is support her. She's getting some academic scholarship money plus what we saved just for that, so she won't have to take out a loan. I honesty don't know how it helps or hurts her either way. She'd weighed advantages and disadvantages, and she just wanted to be a student. My advise is to start the NCAA or NAIA paperwork, if she's serious. Go to your club's college recruitment adviser, we have one. They should have time tables and paperwork available. They should help walk her through it. And good luck.
                    Sorry what are the "big three", I assume you mean academically? Harvard, Yale, Princeton?

Comment

Familiar Story

First of all this should be a lesson learned for all parents who
                      Have decided to keep their kids in a "mid-tier" club.

Most parents unfortunately keep their "Top Player" kids at mid-tier clubs
                      Because they like their kids being the star on a lesser team.

They shelter their kids from having to truly compete with other top players on their
                      Own team as well as the other competition.

Then they find themselves at U-16 with no coaches looking at them.

Why would a top coach be interested in looking at a "top player" on a mid-tier team?

Let's be honest for a second. A player can NOT be a top player until they can prove that they can perform extremely well against the BEST competition!

We have seen so many "top players" coming to our truly high level team having come from a " mid-tier" program and guess what???

They are not prepared for the intensity, speed, and the overall physical nature of a true top
                      Level game. Therefore this so-called "top player" is basically on the bench while Mommy and
                      Daddy are shocked!!

For all of you parents of younger kids who are currently making the same mistake as this parent please listen up and put your kid in the best program on the best team playing the highest competition ASAP!!!

My daughter is a top player at a mid-tier club and has not gotten any feedback from college coaches as yet. She has friends that are on A teams at more prominent clubs, that tend to go to more prestigious showcases that have gotten feedback from college coaches. Should I be concerned that she has not heard back from coaches she's written to? How important is it to get to better showcases, like Disney?

Comment

First of all this should be a lesson learned for all parents who
                        Have decided to keep their kids in a "mid-tier" club.

Most parents unfortunately keep their "Top Player" kids at mid-tier clubs
                        Because they like their kids being the star on a lesser team.

They shelter their kids from having to truly compete with other top players on their
                        Own team as well as the other competition.

Then they find themselves at U-16 with no coaches looking at them.

Why would a top coach be interested in looking at a "top player" on a mid-tier team?

Let's be honest for a second. A player can NOT be a top player until they can prove that they can perform extremely well against the BEST competition!

We have seen so many "top players" coming to our truly high level team having come from a " mid-tier" program and guess what???

They are not prepared for the intensity, speed, and the overall physical nature of a true top
                        Level game. Therefore this so-called "top player" is basically on the bench while Mommy and
                        Daddy are shocked!!

For all of you parents of younger kids who are currently making the same mistake as this parent please listen up and put your kid in the best program on the best team playing the highest competition ASAP!!!
                        You do realize that not every player can be "in the best program on the best team playing the highest competition" don't you?

Comment

Get her to ECNL ASAP. Guaranteed exposure and scholarship money. People will bash out of club loyalty but ECNL is proven track to big schools and money
                          Is she a big money, big school player? In other words is she ODP, ODP region III or ID2 quality? If not then ECNL will not get her recruited by top schools. Top players go to top schools. Coaches, despite the hype are neither blind nor stupid and actually watch players to see if they fit their program. An ECNL tag means very little if she is not actually playing or if her ECNL team does not have ECNL quality players.

Comment

You do realize that not every player can be "in the best program on the best team playing the highest competition" don't you?
                            The ECNL hype machine is on overdrive on this thread. You are right - not everyone can or wants to play on ECNL teams. Nor does does everyone want to play on a "top" college program because choosing a college is a complex decision. And let's look at some numbers:

There are 960 D1, DII and D3 women's soccer programs. They all need players. Let's say they take 6 per year = 5,760 spots. Let's slice it to the top 100 D1 and D3 and top 25 DII (because everyone on this site is a snob when it comes to D2). That equals 1500 players needed year in and year out, very close to how many ECNL players graduate in any given year. Where do the remaining 4,000+ players come from?

ECNL is not the only path to college soccer. Yes I know you'll quickly reply it is the fastest easiest path to top college soccer. That's great for top players, but it isn't the path or necessarily the objective of 1000s of players.

Comment

The post said "a top 5 team, OR and ECNL team"

Comment

The ECNL hype machine is on overdrive on this thread. You are right - not everyone can or wants to play on ECNL teams. Nor does does everyone want to play on a "top" college program because choosing a college is a complex decision. And let's look at some numbers:

There are 960 D1, DII and D3 women's soccer programs. They all need players. Let's say they take 6 per year = 5,760 spots. Let's slice it to the top 100 D1 and D3 and top 25 DII (because everyone on this site is a snob when it comes to D2). That equals 1500 players needed year in and year out, very close to how many ECNL players graduate in any given year. Where do the remaining 4,000+ players come from?

ECNL is not the only path to college soccer. Yes I know you'll quickly reply it is the fastest easiest path to top college soccer. That's great for top players, but it isn't the path or necessarily the objective of 1000s of players.
                                If you even mention ECNL in a post, the anti-ECNL parents go nuts! All I am saying is that you need to get on a top 5 team, or an ECNL team. You can't stay on Palm Tree Soccer Club and be the big fish in the little pond and expect to get recruited! You need to play on a very good team if you want your kid to get recruited. The team's in the last flight at Disney will never get a serious look, sorry!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X