Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My kid is late 04. I hate this change. But only because he is losing a year of 8v8. He will be 11 and supposed to play 11v11 on a full sided field? As a smaller player already, he is not ready for that at all. I thought all these changes were made with an emphasis on how important small sided games were so kids got more touches at younger ages. Seems just the opposite to me.

I may consider alternatives if I find one that's suitable. Paying 2 grand plus travel and tournament fees for my 11 year old to spend Saturdays on a 100 yd pitch seems crazy.
    My son is also a late 2004. The big field move is no longer an issue for us because he decided to quit soccer. His team is mostly made of 2005s and they decided to play as a U12 (2005) team in the fall. Since there is no team in the age group above us in our club, he decided to quit soccer and concentrate on other sports rather than trying to find another team at another club where he doesn't know anybody.

My older daughters team is just breaking apart over the issue and again her club doesn't have a team above them for her to move to but she does want to continue playing so we'll be team/club shopping in the fall for her. So longer travel, having to spend money on new uniforms, losing our carpools to practices all just makes this such a wonderful gift from US Soccer.

Comment

I think everybody is wrong. Late birthdays don't change. Early birth dates repeat an age group. Nobody moves up.

Comment

I agree. My kid is a late 05. He will do ok at 9v9 but you know what will happen? It will be a mess because of the fields. They will not create larger fields for 9v9. They will be the same fields used for small 8v8 or even 6v6. They will just cram more kids into the fields. 18 kids into a 40x60 field and then they will blame US Soccer. I am very happy with 12 kids in a 40x60 field. My kid gets lots of touches and is a great small sided player. Does anyone know if FYSA has addressed field sizes to go along with these proposed changes?
        The new field size standard for 9v9 (U11 and U12) is 75x47.

Comment

I think everybody is wrong. Late birthdays don't change. Early birth dates repeat an age group. Nobody moves up.
          The original chart was wrong and has since been corrected. The late fall kids are moving up two Uxx designations in the fall while the late spring/summer kids are moving up one Uxx designation.

Comment

I agree. My kid is a late 05. He will do ok at 9v9 but you know what will happen? It will be a mess because of the fields. They will not create larger fields for 9v9. They will be the same fields used for small 8v8 or even 6v6. They will just cram more kids into the fields. 18 kids into a 40x60 field and then they will blame US Soccer. I am very happy with 12 kids in a 40x60 field. My kid gets lots of touches and is a great small sided player. Does anyone know if FYSA has addressed field sizes to go along with these proposed changes?

Field sized are addressed in the initiative

9v9 75x47

7v7. 47x30

I may be off by a few but field sizes decreases

Comment

If your child is born in fall of 02 and is playing U13 this year does that mean they play U15. Of course the U is going to be dropped. Will be 8th grader playing with mostly 9th graders. The bid disadvantage will be when this player is a senior as most of their team will have graduated. Will really have to show off skill set by Junior year.

Comment

My son moving from u11 to u13 and going to u10 6v6, u11 8v8, to u13 11v11, already is asking just to play futsal full time. Taking these kids and taking away touches at this age is beyond absurd. That's a bigger issue than changing who they play with. My son is used to changing teams and playing with different kids, that's not a factor at all. I don't think US Soccer gets it at all. I didn't understand from the outset how going from 8v8 to 9v9 made small sided more of an emphasis to start with. That's one more person, even less of an opportunity for the player to touch the ball.

Factoring in that how many clubs are obsessed with speed and agility training at young ages instead of spending time on the ball, I see a future of more robotic, less creative players for US Soccer in the future.

Comment

My son moving from u11 to u13 and going to u10 6v6, u11 8v8, to u13 11v11, already is asking just to play futsal full time. Taking these kids and taking away touches at this age is beyond absurd. That's a bigger issue than changing who they play with. My son is used to changing teams and playing with different kids, that's not a factor at all. I don't think US Soccer gets it at all. I didn't understand from the outset how going from 8v8 to 9v9 made small sided more of an emphasis to start with. That's one more person, even less of an opportunity for the player to touch the ball.

Factoring in that how many clubs are obsessed with speed and agility training at young ages instead of spending time on the ball, I see a future of more robotic, less creative players for US Soccer in the future.
                  Well, the reason the standard is becoming 7v7 for U9/U10 and 9v9 for U11/U12 is because there are still some soccer leagues out there running 11v11 in those age groups and this was the compromise point between them and the leagues that were already running small sided. I'm in another state and my league is currently 8v8 at U9/U10, 9v9 at U11 and 11v11 at U12 so these changes are forcing my league to go smaller which is their intent.

This is of course countermanded by the age changes as my fall 2004 son is now going to skip U12 and go straight to U13 and play 11v11 anyhow.

Comment

Field sized are addressed in the initiative

9v9 75x47

7v7. 47x30

I may be off by a few but field sizes decreases
                    You mean 47X75 right?

Is this MINIMUM or middle of the range?

The reality is that if you play 8v8 you are LUCKY to get a 45x70 field. Many tournaments use a large 6v6 field (say 40x60) and put both 6v6 and 8v8 on a field of this size.

So, I fear the reality of this move is that you will have close to 18 kids on a field not much bigger than 40x60. This is a mess. I would rather my kid play small-sided another year as a late 05.

So, if the initiative is properly implemented (i.e., minimum 47x75 fields) then fine. But I fear the reality will be that clubs will just continue current practices while at the same time adding another two players on the field. It will be a crowded mess. 9v9 is great because it encourages use of a midfield. To properly use a midfield you need a field of a certain size. Playing 9v9 under the same conditions they currently play 8v8 will be a crowded, useless mess. I know no one thinks about field size, but I think field size and condition are two very important components of learning this game.

Comment

Well, the reason the standard is becoming 7v7 for U9/U10 and 9v9 for U11/U12 is because there are still some soccer leagues out there running 11v11 in those age groups and this was the compromise point between them and the leagues that were already running small sided. I'm in another state and my league is currently 8v8 at U9/U10, 9v9 at U11 and 11v11 at U12 so these changes are forcing my league to go smaller which is their intent.

This is of course countermanded by the age changes as my fall 2004 son is now going to skip U12 and go straight to U13 and play 11v11 anyhow.
                      There is a group of kids who are "skipping" with the change - but they won't be playing fewer years of soccer, just more/less of whatever you want to call it. Not ideal but really can't be avoided. In the end the changes are better for development and everyone will be on the same page. My kids all played 11v11 at U12 (because that's kind of the norm around us) and I believe that is too early.

Comment

That is off with the rest of the world. Spain's U12s are 2003s. Next year would be U13s. Look at Liga Promises age groups.

Comment

That is off with the rest of the world. Spain's U12s are 2003s. Next year would be U13s. Look at Liga Promises age groups.
                          Spain's U12's are 2003's because their year ends in December. Our teams carry on to the following June so we are using the spring year as the determining factor, not the fall years. So yes, our teams will still not match the rest of the world in the fall season. We will only match them the spring season.

Comment

You mean 47X75 right?

Is this MINIMUM or middle of the range?

The reality is that if you play 8v8 you are LUCKY to get a 45x70 field. Many tournaments use a large 6v6 field (say 40x60) and put both 6v6 and 8v8 on a field of this size.

So, I fear the reality of this move is that you will have close to 18 kids on a field not much bigger than 40x60. This is a mess. I would rather my kid play small-sided another year as a late 05.

So, if the initiative is properly implemented (i.e., minimum 47x75 fields) then fine. But I fear the reality will be that clubs will just continue current practices while at the same time adding another two players on the field. It will be a crowded mess. 9v9 is great because it encourages use of a midfield. To properly use a midfield you need a field of a certain size. Playing 9v9 under the same conditions they currently play 8v8 will be a crowded, useless mess. I know no one thinks about field size, but I think field size and condition are two very important components of learning this game.
                            9v9 should be 55x75 or 55x80. A wider field is necessary to accommodate two midfielders both of which should be opening up the field horizontally. Playing 9v9 on a 40' or 45' wide field will teach kids next to nothing.

Comment

Same situation here with a U11 kid, late Dec. birthday, moving to U13 next year. Made worse, since the league he plays in combines U13/U14 and the fact that he's tiny (3%tile in height for his age). Full time futsal is sounding very appealing right now, since he's a great technical player and excels in small sided games. Moving him to 11v11 on a bigger field with mostly 7th & 8th graders (he'll be in 6th grade), who will easily be able to outrun him and push him off the ball, is the opposite of what he needs right now for continued development.

Comment

Same situation here with a U11 kid, late Dec. birthday, moving to U13 next year. Made worse, since the league he plays in combines U13/U14 and the fact that he's tiny (3%tile in height for his age). Full time futsal is sounding very appealing right now, since he's a great technical player and excels in small sided games. Moving him to 11v11 on a bigger field with mostly 7th & 8th graders (he'll be in 6th grade), who will easily be able to outrun him and push him off the ball, is the opposite of what he needs right now for continued development.
                                I hear you as I am also in a similar situation. I would not have him play combined u13/u14. U14s will be 2003s. A January 2003 is a kid likely starting puberty. A December 2004 is a baby. It would be a two year difference. You are right to be concerned. If you find a club that plays against only 04s, it may be a better alternative.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X