Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Actually, my kid is a Feb player so he's still going to bench your kid.

That's the realization that's going to kill idiots like you.

If your kid can play, he can play. Simple as that.
    Yup. And if a kid has a bit of a size advantage early on, by HS it's completely over for girls and mostly for boys. Players either have it or they don't, regardless of when they were born. Suddenly that little peanut player on your team is dribbling circles around your big kid because they've been working on their skills instead of relying on size/athleticism to get them through

Comment

So I have a U11 now that has a 04 birthday... What will they play 2016-2017? 8V8(9V9) or 11V11?

I also have a U11 now that has a 05 birthday... What will they play 2016-2017? 8V8(9V9) or 11V11?
      04s will play u13 11v11

05s will plau u12 9v9

Comment

No wisecracks please but we are so confused... My son is a Mid December U15 right now ? How does this change anything ?

Comment

No wisecracks please but we are so confused... My son is a Mid December U15 right now ? How does this change anything ?
          year of birth???

Comment

He will have to play by his birth year starting next fall. He goes from being about middle of the pack age wise to one of the youngest. Chances are he is a 2001 yes? If so, that's what he plays. Don't worry about the U designation. His current team may or may not allow him to stay and play up. The good news is at these ages the differences of a few months really aren't there like they are when they're younger or in middle school so his team may stay together - chances are there are at least three others in the same boat. If he's a good player but can't stay on his current team he will be able to find another.

Comment

He will have to play by his birth year starting next fall. He goes from being about middle of the pack age wise to one of the youngest. Chances are he is a 2001 yes? If so, that's what he plays. Don't worry about the U designation. His current team may or may not allow him to stay and play up. The good news is at these ages the differences of a few months really aren't there like they are when they're younger or in middle school so his team may stay together - chances are there are at least three others in the same boat. If he's a good player but can't stay on his current team he will be able to find another.
              He is a 2000 , does that change anything ? and thank you !

Comment

year of birth???
                Hes a 2000

Comment

2000 birth year will by U17 for the 2016/17 season.

Comment

Math!

To determine the age group, subtract the birth year from the "last" year in the season. For 2016/17, 2017 minus 2000 means U17. For 2007 birth year, 2017 minus 2007 means U10.

Comment

2000 birth year will by U17 for the 2016/17 season.
                      As another said don't get caught up in the U designation. He will be a young player on a 2000 team. Most of his teammates will now be a year ahead of him in school. That can get tricky for recruiting and ifhe wants to play in college you'll need to plan ahead some. Next year will be a big year for his teammates to showcase but he can take advantage of that and start working on it. Just make sure coaches know his graduation year. The issue will be that when he is a junior, most of his team will be seniors. If they are not going to college it's quite possible there will be no team (most stop playing club senior year unless they're playing in college).

It does not impact his HS play in any way

Comment

Going from middle of the pack to the youngest.

If he is not going to try for DA then it really just does not matter.

Comment

My kid is late 04. I hate this change. But only because he is losing a year of 8v8. He will be 11 and supposed to play 11v11 on a full sided field? As a smaller player already, he is not ready for that at all. I thought all these changes were made with an emphasis on how important small sided games were so kids got more touches at younger ages. Seems just the opposite to me.

I may consider alternatives if I find one that's suitable. Paying 2 grand plus travel and tournament fees for my 11 year old to spend Saturdays on a 100 yd pitch seems crazy.

Comment

Yup. And if a kid has a bit of a size advantage early on, by HS it's completely over for girls and mostly for boys. Players either have it or they don't, regardless of when they were born. Suddenly that little peanut player on your team is dribbling circles around your big kid because they've been working on their skills instead of relying on size/athleticism to get them through
                            Agree 100%

Comment

I think this age change thing is pretty silly either way. It is not going to be advantage or disadvantage to 99 percent of the kids playing now either way. My kid has a late birthday but has played "up" since they were 7 so the same kids they play against this year, they will play next year. Younger kids can compete just fine against older kids.

Comment

My kid is late 04. I hate this change. But only because he is losing a year of 8v8. He will be 11 and supposed to play 11v11 on a full sided field? As a smaller player already, he is not ready for that at all. I thought all these changes were made with an emphasis on how important small sided games were so kids got more touches at younger ages. Seems just the opposite to me.

I may consider alternatives if I find one that's suitable. Paying 2 grand plus travel and tournament fees for my 11 year old to spend Saturdays on a 100 yd pitch seems crazy.
                                I agree. My kid is a late 05. He will do ok at 9v9 but you know what will happen? It will be a mess because of the fields. They will not create larger fields for 9v9. They will be the same fields used for small 8v8 or even 6v6. They will just cram more kids into the fields. 18 kids into a 40x60 field and then they will blame US Soccer. I am very happy with 12 kids in a 40x60 field. My kid gets lots of touches and is a great small sided player. Does anyone know if FYSA has addressed field sizes to go along with these proposed changes?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X