U.S. Soccer set to launch girls DA in 2017, relegating ECNL to 2nd tier

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much will depend on where the college coaches go. And the coaches will go where the talent goes. Who jumps first? Or maybe no one jumps at all and this falls flat. Boys DA didn't have to battle with a strong established league. They also didn't start with the no HS requirement. At a minimum they shouldn't start the no HS rule for the girls either so they can have more time to prove itself

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I am under the impression that there will not be as many girls DA programs as there are current ECNL programs. So the top ECNL clubs, especialy those with a boys DA, will get a girls DA. Many ECNL teams will not be designated a DA club and will continue to play in what will soon be, the second tier league.
      Having boys DA won't insure you get girls. Many boys DA clubs don't have strong girls programs. Each program will have to stand on it's own to get admittance. But if it came down to two fairly equal candidates in an area, the boys club would most likely get the od.

Comment

Funny that U.S. Soccer did not mention the USYS National League. LOL. U.S. Soccer confirmed what everyone knew that ECNL was the top league....

Comment

Funny that U.S. Soccer did not mention the USYS National League. LOL. U.S. Soccer confirmed what everyone knew that ECNL was the top league....
          Great league that unfortunately leaves out way too many good prospects. Hopefully the DA can capture some of them.

Comment

I didn't say that. I said ECNL girls will go to DA, and State Cup girls will go to ECNL. Whether or not that includes FKK or FESA players is up to them. JFC and OC both have second teams playing State Cup, those girls will be playing ECNL in two years if FKK and FESA girls stay where they are. Not saying those teams will be any more competitive than they are now (or less so in ECNL), just laying out the picture. The younger ages at least at FKK aren't the ones who burned bridges, so yes I think they may be more likely to move over to play ECNL.
            No player wants to be second tier no matter if it is called ECNL. The player will often go to whatever team and coach is the best he/she can make, no matter the club.

Comment

I am under the impression that there will not be as many girls DA programs as there are current ECNL programs. So the top ECNL clubs, especialy those with a boys DA, will get a girls DA. Many ECNL teams will not be designated a DA club and will continue to play in what will soon be, the second tier league.
              Interesting. Unless this DA rolls out fast everywhere our kids will be out of club soccer.

Comment

ECNL is about geography. The ECNL parents like to think their teams have all the top players in FL, but the truth is, they just have the best players that are able to make the drive to their club. There are tons of talented players out there so DA, like ECNL, will be about geography.

Comment

ECNL is about geography. The ECNL parents like to think their teams have all the top players in FL, but the truth is, they just have the best players that are able to make the drive to their club. There are tons of talented players out there so DA, like ECNL, will be about geography.
                  I think it could ensure that more kids are identified.

Comment

Where would you have to live right now, geographically that is, to be more than 1 - 1 1/2 hours away from an ECNL Club? Key West? Pensacola?

On another note now that I'm thinking of it, how come nobody plays soccer in Tallahassee?

Comment

I think it could ensure that more kids are identified.
                      Ecnl is club based and has biases. An ecnl club will know the home players trying out, and even promise them spots before tryouts. I've watched it happen. They know what players they want before tryouts and call those players from other clubs. The reality is only 16 to 18 make an ECNL roster, or those who actually get playing time, and players do fear about being relegated for better players moving in, injuries, and such. I'd like to see a true DA not affiliated with one club to eliminate the bias and politics. US Soccer Federation should grant to a Region with the leaders from all the clubs having a shared role. There should be specific guidelines to follow, and maybe even an outside staff brought in for dA tryouts.

Comment

Ecnl is club based and has biases. An ecnl club will know the home players trying out, and even promise them spots before tryouts. I've watched it happen. They know what players they want before tryouts and call those players from other clubs. The reality is only 16 to 18 make an ECNL roster, or those who actually get playing time, and players do fear about being relegated for better players moving in, injuries, and such. I'd like to see a true DA not affiliated with one club to eliminate the bias and politics. US Soccer Federation should grant to a Region with the leaders from all the clubs having a shared role. There should be specific guidelines to follow, and maybe even an outside staff brought in for dA tryouts.
                        That would make far too much sense and is what is needed to raise the level of soccer. It didn't happen with the men and it won't with the women - and on the men's side there's MLS support. There's no money on the women's side to fund such a program. You're talking about building something from scratch. Much easier (and faster) to get the top clubs involved from both inside and outside ECNL. There will be a vetting process to select clubs. Boys DA won't mean a lock on getting girls unless the club's current girls program is very good (many are not; they focus mostly just on the boys' side). Like ECNL there needs to be a volume of clubs to make it a viable league/not have too much travel, so yes geography will matter.

Comment

Where would you have to live right now, geographically that is, to be more than 1 - 1 1/2 hours away from an ECNL Club? Key West? Pensacola?

On another note now that I'm thinking of it, how come nobody plays soccer in Tallahassee?
                          Florida is one thing. East Coast isn't bad either - proximity of many large cities make it workable. But take a look at the boys DA map and you'll see big holes in many regions of the country - it's all major urban areas where you can have multiple clubs/minimize travel

http://www.ussoccer.com/development-academy/clubs

Comment

You think driving 1.5 hours one-way, three times a week is no big deal? That equals three hours in the car on practice nights and getting home extremely late at night. HS aged girls report to school just before 7 a.m.

Comment

You think driving 1.5 hours one-way, three times a week is no big deal? That equals three hours in the car on practice nights and getting home extremely late at night. HS aged girls report to school just before 7 a.m.
                              There in lies the dilemma - to really make this a true "quality" league you need fewer clubs/teams/players. It would be very limited; only the top need apply. But you can't have kids spending hours on end in the car all week plus games on weekends. That means having more teams - at least a similar number to boys DA now or girls ECNL. And there aren't enough clubs and more importantly talent to keep a 80-club DA program AND 80 club ECNL program. Either one goes away, or we end up with two weak leagues which does no one any good.

Comment

There in lies the dilemma - to really make this a true "quality" league you need fewer clubs/teams/players. It would be very limited; only the top need apply. But you can't have kids spending hours on end in the car all week plus games on weekends. That means having more teams - at least a similar number to boys DA now or girls ECNL. And there aren't enough clubs and more importantly talent to keep a 80-club DA program AND 80 club ECNL program. Either one goes away, or we end up with two weak leagues which does no one any good.
                                There is talent out there with no access to high level soccer due to the cost. IF the DA is funded to access this talent, there will more to go around. If DA is very costly, you are correct, probably not enough affluent talent to go around.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X