X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Lets throw out a hypothetical:
    Would you be this adamant if those 9th graders across the country were choosing to play HS basketball? And leaving 8th grade Soccer players without a team? Please give an honest answer?

This is the part that you don't get: USSF looks at all HS sports the same. So whether a kid is choosing to play HS soccer or HS basketball, its the same thing. In USSF's eye's, they are basically choosing to play a HS[sport] instead of club soccer. There is nothing they can do about that.

HS soccer is not soccer in the eyes of USSF (or my eyes for that matter). At least not in regards to development.

So if you want kids to be able to play ANY HS SPORT, and not affect 8th graders, then that is a completely different discussion and USSF shouldn't even be brought up.

But if you want 9th graders to choose HS soccer over club (which will affect 8th graders), well then your priorities are not aligned with USSF's. And that priority is development.
    No, I want USSF to mandate that clubs/leagues across the country have two seasons for u15 soccer. Then the fall 8th graders have a club team and the 9th graders can choose club or HS (or in many states both). Our state and the surrounding states have said "no plan for a league for u15 during HS". This leaves the fall 8th graders with zero soccer option from May until Club season starts in November. USSF/USYS/USclub are already caving to HS soccer by not having club soccer during HS. Why?? Bet most 9th grade club players would choose club over HS if they had to make a choice. They can all still play HS 10-12th grade.

Comment

LOL. You acknowledged you are the "8th GRADE PSYCHO" that fiddles with teams. LOL
      So, you are like 10 years old? I thought that you wanted people to be constructive?

Comment

Yes!!

" I am for u14's (what will be considered u15 next season) not be allowed to play HS soccer. So next year, if you are an early year 02, you cannot play HS. You should stay with your club team. And for the kids that don't play club, they don't have an issue, do they.
        The only 9th graders that should be allowed to try out are the late year 01's. And that restriction can come from the clubs. If you choose to play for club, at u15, you have to stay with the club."

Agree 100%. This will keep more players in club, give ALL the 8th/9th grade players (2002s)a club option and give more money to the clubs. Why should club soccer tiptoe around HS soccer anyway? And, all the club players can still play 3 years of HS soccer (10th, 11th & 12th grade). BUT it needs to be mandated for all USYS & USClub leagues across the US just like the new birth year mandates or it won't happen.

Comment

" I am for u14's (what will be considered u15 next season) not be allowed to play HS soccer. So next year, if you are an early year 02, you cannot play HS. You should stay with your club team. And for the kids that don't play club, they don't have an issue, do they.
          The only 9th graders that should be allowed to try out are the late year 01's. And that restriction can come from the clubs. If you choose to play for club, at u15, you have to stay with the club."

Agree 100%. This will keep more players in club, give ALL the 8th/9th grade players (2002s)a club option and give more money to the clubs. Why should club soccer tiptoe around HS soccer anyway? And, all the club players can still play 3 years of HS soccer (10th, 11th & 12th grade). BUT it needs to be mandated for all USYS & USClub leagues across the US just like the new birth year mandates or it won't happen.
          You are never going to convince the majority of 9th graders to give up on the chance to play for their schools and US Soccer can't block them from doing so. Kids like to play for their school teams.

Comment

I like the option - and I'm sure clubs would love the extra revenue - but don't be so quick to assume majority would pick club. The league would have to be good and the price pretty low to entice players to skip HS soccer. For all its faults HS soccer is a big social draw for kids, even JV. Players who skip out might not looked upon favorably in the highly political world of HS soccer. At our HS (and I'm assuming others) top JV players start getting pulled up midseason as V players get injured or don't perform well. Not being there means missing out on opportunities (obviously that applies to only talented 9th graders). Also when you're talking "club" soccer there is a very broad range of quality and commitment to club play. many would happily give up club for a few months to play for their schools. For most players it isn't about the quality of play.

Comment

I like the option - and I'm sure clubs would love the extra revenue - but don't be so quick to assume majority would pick club. The league would have to be good and the price pretty low to entice players to skip HS soccer. For all its faults HS soccer is a big social draw for kids, even JV. Players who skip out might not looked upon favorably in the highly political world of HS soccer. At our HS (and I'm assuming others) top JV players start getting pulled up midseason as V players get injured or don't perform well. Not being there means missing out on opportunities (obviously that applies to only talented 9th graders). Also when you're talking "club" soccer there is a very broad range of quality and commitment to club play. many would happily give up club for a few months to play for their schools. For most players it isn't about the quality of play.
              I'm the one that originally proposed this option. And I agree with everything you say. I also thought about the 9th graders that weren't allowed to play freshman year. Now they will tryout for the first time as a sophomore. That already puts them behind the other sophomores that tried out the year before.
              Maybe its just a path in the right direction.
              Either way, Clubs need to look at options.
              What I guarantee won't happen: H.S. caring enough to help fix the issue. And that is what is concerning about the people that have been bringing up the 8th grade issue.

Ragging on USSF, but not holding HS accountable at all. Why not put some of the pressure on H.S. soccer to fix some of their obvious issues?

Comment

I'm the one that originally proposed this option. And I agree with everything you say. I also thought about the 9th graders that weren't allowed to play freshman year. Now they will tryout for the first time as a sophomore. That already puts them behind the other sophomores that tried out the year before.
                Maybe its just a path in the right direction.
                Either way, Clubs need to look at options.
                What I guarantee won't happen: H.S. caring enough to help fix the issue. And that is what is concerning about the people that have been bringing up the 8th grade issue.

Ragging on USSF, but not holding HS accountable at all. Why not put some of the pressure on H.S. soccer to fix some of their obvious issues?
                If the club system uses dates that has the majority of the kids playing in a higher grade than the younger kids on the team, the issue with the younger players not having enough bodies to field a club team on their own is going to exist. HS has no control over that. It doesn't matter if they first start playing HS ball in the 9th grade or the 10th grade. All moving to the 10th grade will do is move the problem to U16 and having the late year 9th graders miss out instead of the late year 8th graders missing out.

The large clubs can create some sort of stopgap situation on their own but the small and mid-sized clubs are going to be without any real solutions that they can put into effect on their own.

What is needed is from the local leagues, or perhaps US Soccer itself to come up with some sort of program that all the kids missing out can participate in during the HS season, even if it's part time, where club rivalries won't come into play.

Comment

If the club system uses dates that has the majority of the kids playing in a higher grade than the younger kids on the team, the issue with the younger players not having enough bodies to field a club team on their own is going to exist. HS has no control over that. It doesn't matter if they first start playing HS ball in the 9th grade or the 10th grade. All moving to the 10th grade will do is move the problem to U16 and having the late year 9th graders miss out instead of the late year 8th graders missing out.
                  You must have misunderstood. Only the Jan-Jul 02's would be restriced from playing HS. The other half of 9th graders will be the Aug-Dec 01's. They can try out no problem. The next year, those early-02's will be sophomores and the late-02's (Aug-Dec) have no restriction. So the restriction only falls on the younger half of the Freshman class which would always be Jan-Jul kids.

Comment

You must have misunderstood. Only the Jan-Jul 02's would be restriced from playing HS. The other half of 9th graders will be the Aug-Dec 01's. They can try out no problem. The next year, those early-02's will be sophomores and the late-02's (Aug-Dec) have no restriction. So the restriction only falls on the younger half of the Freshman class which would always be Jan-Jul kids.
                    US Soccer can't stop HS's from taking all 9th graders on their teams. That solution is a non-starter.

Comment

US Soccer can't stop HS's from taking all 9th graders on their teams. That solution is a non-starter.
                      They can't stop the HS. But they can tell the kids that they need to play club or they will not be accepted on the club team. Then its becomes a choice for the player/parent.
                      They already do that for DA's.

Look, I don't think it will ever happen either because its not really fair that a freshman cannot tryout for a team when a fellow freshman can.
                      But as I said before, its already starting a dialogue of solutions instead of everyone crying about suicidal 8th-graders that will now become future degenerate criminal of society because they didn't have a soccer team for three months.

Comment

They can't stop the HS. But they can tell the kids that they need to play club or they will not be accepted on the club team. Then its becomes a choice for the player/parent.
                        They already do that for DA's.

Look, I don't think it will ever happen either because its not really fair that a freshman cannot tryout for a team when a fellow freshman can.
                        But as I said before, its already starting a dialogue of solutions instead of everyone crying about suicidal 8th-graders that will now become future degenerate criminal of society because they didn't have a soccer team for three months.
                        They already do it for the DA's and there was tremendous backlash over just those few thousand kids. Many of them ended up being granted exemptions, especially the private school kids. Try pulling that stunt at the national level involving millions of kids and you will have a full blown revolution against US Soccer on your hands.

And even if you did what you say having only 41% of the team available (5 out of 12 months) isn't going to be enough kids to form club teams anyway.

No, some sort of alternative program is the way to go where you can combine kids from multiple clubs while stopping the coaches/clubs from worrying about getting their kids poached.

Comment

They already do it for the DA's and there was tremendous backlash over just those few thousand kids. Many of them ended up being granted exemptions, especially the private school kids. Try pulling that stunt at the national level involving millions of kids and you will have a full blown revolution against US Soccer on your hands.

And even if you did what you say having only 41% of the team available (5 out of 12 months) isn't going to be enough kids to form club teams anyway.

No, some sort of alternative program is the way to go where you can combine kids from multiple clubs while stopping the coaches/clubs from worrying about getting their kids poached.
                          you kid isn't good enough just face facts and stop worrying

Comment

you kid isn't good enough just face facts and stop worrying
                            Ah, back with the constructive thoughts.

Comment

Sure.

Now on to the constructive stuff.

Fix number 1 for the new system has to be to get US Youth Soccer to fold the new U19/U20 age group into U18, basically making it a catch-all division for seniors.

Fix number 2 should be making U12 being 9v9 happen this fall across the board instead of letting leagues that still run that 11v11 get away with that for another year. The lesser player number of players on the field will help those teams that are reorganizing by giving them a smaller roster size they have to have in order to form a team.
                              I like Fix number 2 but fix number 1 is not a fix. There is no fix for having teams mixed with Juniors and Seniors if the graduating seniors go away to college.

Comment

I like Fix number 2 but fix number 1 is not a fix. There is no fix for having teams mixed with Juniors and Seniors if the graduating seniors go away to college.
                                Under the new system there will be a good 1/3 of HS seniors who are too old to be U18. Now many of those players won't want to play unless they will be playing in college. But for the few that do having a combined team gives them a place to play. There was talk of a combined 18/19/20 which makes even less sense as virtually an U20 player would be a college player. They wouldn't even be able to play a regular club season anyway.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X