Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March Eugene RTC Tournament and ODP Selection

Any thoughts/comments out there regarding this past weekend's RTC tournament and ODP selection?

Wasn't there and don't have a kid that young. But based on what I know of the younger players who made it, it's very clear that ODP isn't attracting the top players anymore. Not trying to be snarky but there are girls on this list from our community who can't make a B team as a bench player.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Wasn't there and don't have a kid that young. But based on what I know of the younger players who made it, it's very clear that ODP isn't attracting the top players anymore. Not trying to be snarky but there are girls on this list from our community who can't make a B team as a bench player.
      I know what you mean but have noticed that has been the case for at least 3 years now.

Comment

I know what you mean but have noticed that has been the case for at least 3 years now.
        To be honest people have been saying this for at least 10 years, but honestly for the pre high school kids ODP usually gets it right and you will see in years to come.

Comment

Any thoughts/comments out there regarding this past weekend's RTC tournament and ODP selection?
          it's basically a jamboree for rtc groups to play against each other nothing special just a little fun.

Comment

it's basically a jamboree for rtc groups to play against each other nothing special just a little fun.
            Truth! But also, something many parents call bragging rights for what reason I'm not sure.

Comment

I can’t speak for every age group on the boys and girls side but I have a daughter in the Thorns RTC in the 2006 birth year. Her club team plays in the top Premier division for that age group and this has helped me to watch many of the top players in Oregon and SW Washington over the past couple of years. A few players from her team participated in the Thorns RTC program last year and had positive things to say about their experience, so we decided to give it a shot this year.

My daughter and her teammates really enjoyed the RTC training sessions. And, I was surprised by how many good players from the best Premier division teams were in attendance at the RTC Tournament this past weekend. It appeared that there were multiple players from virtually every team that plays in the top Premier division for that age group.

This is only one age group and it could be unusual. Maybe this all changes after the players age into the ECNL and Thorns Academy programs. But, it appeared that the Thorns RTC and ODP program still provide an good experience for the younger players.

Comment

RTC and ODP are not the best.

They really struggle to find coaches that want to give up holidays and weekends.

I wouldn't recommend based on our experience.

Comment

We didn't think the training sessions were very well structured and the coach didn't appear to be super engaged. Other people might enjoy it and good for them.

Comment

You will find many different assessments of RTC and ODP anywhere you want to look, from parents to players to coaches to the program director(s) and so on.

There are certainly questions about the value of these programs. It can be great on one hand if you're in an area where the local coaching staff that steps up is really good, and the quality and intensity of the players and play is great. Very valuable extra touches and coaching above and/or beyond what players are getting in their clubs or teams.

On the other hand, you can end up with really lacking coaching because it is quite a sacrifice, and the quality of the players that sign up can be lacking as well. In my experience no one is turned away from RTC so to say it is 'elite' is quite a stretch. "Pre" RTC programs are even more a stretch.

There is also legit question about evaluating players for ODP teams. While there is rhetoric about developing talent, recognition of size/age/understanding of the game etc... coaches are under a lot of pressure to field teams that can win or at least be competitive. At young ages that's hard to do without size, speed and strength. Players that lack those qualities due to physical age are overlooked, in my opinion. Even though in a year or two, that player may catch up and be far ahead in all the categories that really matter.

Lastly, one only need look to the latest Thorns Academy informational listing ODP as the "Thorns Academy Reserve" This distinction is odd to me as ODP and Girls Development Academy are different entities entirely.

http://portland-mp7static.mlsdigital...alDocument.pdf

In all, our experience with RTC and ODP ran the gamut I described above. I would still rec. the program to families with players who want to pursue as many soccer options as they can.

Comment

You will find many different assessments of RTC and ODP anywhere you want to look, from parents to players to coaches to the program director(s) and so on.

There are certainly questions about the value of these programs. It can be great on one hand if you're in an area where the local coaching staff that steps up is really good, and the quality and intensity of the players and play is great. Very valuable extra touches and coaching above and/or beyond what players are getting in their clubs or teams.

On the other hand, you can end up with really lacking coaching because it is quite a sacrifice, and the quality of the players that sign up can be lacking as well. In my experience no one is turned away from RTC so to say it is 'elite' is quite a stretch. "Pre" RTC programs are even more a stretch.

There is also legit question about evaluating players for ODP teams. While there is rhetoric about developing talent, recognition of size/age/understanding of the game etc... coaches are under a lot of pressure to field teams that can win or at least be competitive. At young ages that's hard to do without size, speed and strength. Players that lack those qualities due to physical age are overlooked, in my opinion. Even though in a year or two, that player may catch up and be far ahead in all the categories that really matter.

Lastly, one only need look to the latest Thorns Academy informational listing ODP as the "Thorns Academy Reserve" This distinction is odd to me as ODP and Girls Development Academy are different entities entirely.

http://portland-mp7static.mlsdigital...alDocument.pdf

In all, our experience with RTC and ODP ran the gamut I described above. I would still rec. the program to families with players who want to pursue as many soccer options as they can.
                      Also depends, for boys, if a DA club is nearby.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X