Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Keep the lists confidential. Let’s not give anyone the satisfaction of bashing. It’s a lose/lose situation so just opt to not play the game.
    How about you share as much information from ECNL as GDA shares about their kids? Rosters, playtime, goals, assists, time of game subed in or out? Did I just hear you "gulp"...yes, yes indeed I did. Putting your DD out there to be ridiculed by some over zealous daddy who thinks his program is the only way. I'd gladly double what I pay to avoid being on the same sidelines as you.

Comment

Thank you men’s football and men’s basketball! If there was women’s football taking up so many scholarships, women’s soccer would have fewer scholarships like the men. Don’t blame women’s soccer. What’s unfair is how many scholarships are given to men’s football.
      Interesting angle, since it's a recurring theme on this site, that who in their right mind would ever fund a female soccer experience (Thorns DA) gets ridiculed for pumping millions into the development of Oregon girls soccer.

Ironically the reason Women's collegiate Soccer gets so much excess aid in the Title IX era has to do with the cost of fielding a (female soccer)team, it's a very cheap sport for the AD and the program.

Another twist, American Football & Men's Basketball are the main 'revenue' sports that bring in millions to each and every Power 5 college. They don't complain they are funding a female non-revenue sport (socce). Actually Men's football should get more scholarships given the revenue they bring the Universities. It's truly unfair to them.

Count your blessings, sweetie.

Comment

Interesting angle, since it's a recurring theme on this site, that who in their right mind would ever fund a female soccer experience (Thorns DA) gets ridiculed for pumping millions into the development of Oregon girls soccer.

Ironically the reason Women's collegiate Soccer gets so much excess aid in the Title IX era has to do with the cost of fielding a (female soccer)team, it's a very cheap sport for the AD and the program.

Another twist, American Football & Men's Basketball are the main 'revenue' sports that bring in millions to each and every Power 5 college. They don't complain they are funding a female non-revenue sport (socce). Actually Men's football should get more scholarships given the revenue they bring the Universities. It's truly unfair to them.

Count your blessings, sweetie.
        I do! That’s why I’m thanking men’s football and men’s basketball. They are the revenue source which funds all the other programs, with a few exceptions at individual colleges. They also fund the equally cheap to women’s soccer: men’s soccer program. Both men’s and women’s soccer is funded by the same source and should be thankful. The only reason men’s soccer gets fewer scholarships than women’s is because of the huge numbers of men’s scholarships going to football, basketball & also baseball. They are the chosen sports and rightly so, they make all the revenue. It’s not even worth it for many colleges to even have a men’s soccer team. It’s all about the popular, money making men’s sports. You should count your blessings too! Plus, male athletes can always switch to football, basketball or baseball and hugely increase the number of scholarships available to them.

Comment

Thank you men’s football and men’s basketball! If there was women’s football taking up so many scholarships, women’s soccer would have fewer scholarships like the men. Don’t blame women’s soccer. What’s unfair is how many scholarships are given to men’s football.
          I don’t think it’s unfair. Football is a multi billion dollar sport. You get 400 people at D1 soccer games versus football will sell out massive stadiums and bring in billions in tv revenue.

Comment

I do! That’s why I’m thanking men’s football and men’s basketball. They are the revenue source which funds all the other programs, with a few exceptions at individual colleges. They also fund the equally cheap to women’s soccer: men’s soccer program. Both men’s and women’s soccer is funded by the same source and should be thankful. The only reason men’s soccer gets fewer scholarships than women’s is because of the huge numbers of men’s scholarships going to football, basketball & also baseball. They are the chosen sports and rightly so, they make all the revenue. It’s not even worth it for many colleges to even have a men’s soccer team. It’s all about the popular, money making men’s sports. You should count your blessings too! Plus, male athletes can always switch to football, basketball or baseball and hugely increase the number of scholarships available to them.
            Candidly, it's not 'worth it' for colleges to field and fund any sport other than Men's Basketball & Men's American Football.

Present day, realize women are not prohibited from switching from a female only sports to Men's sports if they are good enough to win a spot on squad. Which gives them (female) access to more college aid than a male who isn't allowed to play female sport. Which isn't fair by any stretch and discriminates against men.

Given the 'equality' push which makes sense on so many levels in the workplace, where men and women are competing for the same pay and promotion, guess what women are winning this battle based on ability, skills and intelligence.

Over next 50 years is it foreseeable that men & women will compete for spots on mixed gender American Football, Basketball, Soccer, Baseball etc.. Then men and women can be on equal footing for placement side by side. Just like employment?

Eliminating the gender based aspect of Sport, just like the real employment world.

Comment

Walk and chew gum, is really accurate given the abundance of aid for an outlier sport like girls soccer.

If mens water polo was funded like girls soccer the phrase would of been .able to float and wear a skull cap.

Title IX cuts both ways.

Men's soccer gets far less in atheltic aid...Girls soccer hits the jackpot...

Thats the insane application of an intiative designed not to discriminate.

Unintended consequences.

Spare us your zealot devotion equality..it's not germane. You fool.
              Snap!

Comment

OYSA, OSAA & USYS all have competitions that declare champions.

US Club Soccer (ecnl) considers it a WIN if you attend 3 showcases, travel to array of meaningless games and then travel to a jamboree at the end of the year. You can WIN airline mile rewards as you higher level motivation I guess.
                Thank you. In GDA, We don't considering winning games as real wins. The real wins are within ones development path and achievement of honor and unity with their teammates. Winning is way overrated. In fact losing for us is actually winning in a real sense. Wins are really in some sense losses because less is learned in winning!

Comment

Thank you. In GDA, We don't considering winning games as real wins. The real wins are within ones development path and achievement of honor and unity with their teammates. Winning is way overrated. In fact losing for us is actually winning in a real sense. Wins are really in some sense losses because less is learned in winning!
                  Congrats (g) DA ESPN sports center play of the day number 5! BY the way that GOAL was a game winner.

OUT

Comment

Prove me wrong. Show me this long list of Thornz developed players that are playing in college.

I'll wait...
                    9 of the Thorns players have been on their roster for 3 years, all of them will be playing for colleges in the fall. Of course prior to that they played for other local clubs, just like any other player on ECNL, or GDA risters.

Comment

All the losses for thorns are really wins. Wow. Up is down.

Comment

HA! US Soccer is teaching that winning is losing? Being a loser is a goal? That makes a lot of sense.

Comment

HA! US Soccer is teaching that winning is losing? Being a loser is a goal? That makes a lot of sense.
                          You're not understanding. They are saying that more LEARNING comes from losing so LOSING is not as bad as its cracked up to be. GPS, Eastside and ECNL (among others) are focused more on winning and less on the true development that comes from losing. So as we develop a new program and model we are breaking the old mindset of 'WIN BABY WIN'.
                          I was personally able to build a very successful career after a bankruptcy so I value that experience. Business and soccer are not the same but there are some important parallels and lessons to be learned. DA is the new process oriented platform for learning and true player development.

Comment

I don’t think it’s unfair. Football is a multi billion dollar sport. You get 400 people at D1 soccer games versus football will sell out massive stadiums and bring in billions in tv revenue.
                            OP here. I don’t think it’s unfair either. If men’s football & basketball didn’t bring in so much revenue, there wouldn’t be any women’s or men’s soccer. That’s precisely why I’m thanking them!

Comment

You're not understanding. They are saying that more LEARNING comes from losing so LOSING is not as bad as its cracked up to be. GPS, Eastside and ECNL (among others) are focused more on winning and less on the true development that comes from losing. So as we develop a new program and model we are breaking the old mindset of 'WIN BABY WIN'.
                              I was personally able to build a very successful career after a bankruptcy so I value that experience. Business and soccer are not the same but there are some important parallels and lessons to be learned. DA is the new process oriented platform for learning and true player development.
                              You do learn more from defeat then you do from a win. However if you lose more then you win I think the valuable lessons you learn and in turn employ get lost. You simply dont know the difference between winning and losing at some point. If you are in a club that has a tendency to lose more then they win at 15 or older, I would suggest you change clubs. Your child will get burned out and the game will be less fun cause wining is better then losing.

Comment

Losing is an important life lesson. The losses are not something to be ashamed of. The World Cup is not important in the US so that was a good one to lose. The kids learn a lot. Thorns are happy because all the losses this year were great for learning how to lose with class.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X