Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The problem with Westside has never been the coaches, AGC's, Cony, Jaime or John Bain. It's the parents. By far the most toxic group of self entitled idiots in the history of soccer parents. They pit kid against kid and parents vs. parents. They bully coaches who don't play their kids. It's awful at every age group we were ever apart of.
    Those parents you describe are at every single club. They are not unique to any one place.

Comment

Those parents you describe are at every single club. They are not unique to any one place.
      Disagree. You have your toxic parents on the sidelines who yell and scream at the other team and or ref. Maybe even engage with the other team's parents. Maybe even spend time in their underwear drinking Michelob, posting on Talking Soccer.

What we saw at WT and what others continue to talk about is the cancer that these parents bring to the practice field. When a coach would challenge a player, parents would write John Bain letters complaining. Some of those parents might have also moved their kids over to ADF.
      I remember a few years ago there was this parent who was also the team manager and invited the entire team over to her house to swim after a tournament game. Except for the one kid who played the same position as her own. Or they would have get togethers and only invite the starters, not the bench players. Despicable behavior.

Comment

Disagree. You have your toxic parents on the sidelines who yell and scream at the other team and or ref. Maybe even engage with the other team's parents. Maybe even spend time in their underwear drinking Michelob, posting on Talking Soccer.
        Everyone knows the unofficial parent beer at Westside is Corona. (Even for the gringos). Who the heck drinks Michelob? (And I've yet to see anyone bring beer to a game, except for futsal at Tualatin Indoor..)

What we saw at WT and what others continue to talk about is the cancer that these parents bring to the practice field. When a coach would challenge a player, parents would write John Bain letters complaining.
        And what happened as a result? Generally, John/Cony/Jaime are not terribly impressed with "coach is being mean to my snowflake". Last year, the club had to send a reminder notice to parents reminding them of proper protocol for complaints of this sort. This was right about the time that the old (pre-birth-year) 05 Copa team fell apart, with a whole bunch of parents moseying on over to Liberty HS...

Some of those parents might have also moved their kids over to ADF.
        And as noted above, quite a few of the toxic parents who have left Westside wound up at FC.

I remember a few years ago there was this parent who was also the team manager and invited the entire team over to her house to swim after a tournament game. Except for the one kid who played the same position as her own. Or they would have get togethers and only invite the starters, not the bench players. Despicable behavior.
        Don't know about other teams, but Jaime's team events include everybody, from the top starters down to the end of the bench. He may be notoriously stingy about doling out playing time in games, but for the off-field stuff, if you're on the team, you're in and everyone is equal.

Comment

Metros 1993 til_2013
          💩 since 2013

Comment

That's some real insight right there. Great job. Now, allow me to retort. Based on your most recent post, as well as others that Appear to have been made by you, I can deduce that you never really experienced any success in athletics, and as a result of this, you live you are living out your dreams through your kids. You made an assumption (and were wrong) about my child. Maybe I am wrong about you? I mean, after all this is an anonymous chat board. All you can really tell is what I want you to know. And in this case, I am simply expressing my opinion about Westside. They have done a lot of sleazy and underhand things. Please do not tell me about the 90's, as that was the metros. Since Westside got in bed with the Timbers, they have really ratcheted up the ick factor. You are either with the club, or have a child there. That is fine. I wish you well. However, stop defending that which is indefensible. People have come on this site, on all different threads and espoused their feelings about Westside. No, it has nothing to do with jealousy (well, to be fair, maybe sometimes it does)but had to do with recognizing that Westide appears to have very questionable ethics. If Westside walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...well then they must be a poop emoji.
            Sounds like your beef is with the Portland Timbers, not with Westside.

What about the other TA clubs?

Comment

Here I thought I was the only one who didn't like the sleazy Timbers - turns out I'm not alone!

These chat rooms can be quite affirming really. Who knew?

Comment

What we saw at WT and what others continue to talk about is the cancer that these parents bring to the practice field. When a coach would challenge a player, parents would write John Bain letters complaining. Some of those parents might have also moved their kids over to ADF.
                Now we're getting to the crux of personal issues and a public agenda.

Toxic parents are always toxic parents, and yes, every club has them.

People complain, especially if their kid doesn't get same amount of playing time.

Behavior of adult individuals is always dealt with at all clubs. If you have an issue with the team manager or coach, you contact the DOC or the club office. If you feel you're not getting anywhere-and this doesn't mean that you're getting your way, then you contact the club president or another board member.

Comment

That poo emoji is awesome. Carryon.

Comment

Represhensible Comments

And in this case, I am simply expressing my opinion about Westside. They have done a lot of sleazy and underhand things. Since Westside got in bed with the Timbers, they have really ratcheted up the ick factor. However, stop defending that which is indefensible. People have come on this site, on all different threads and espoused their feelings about Westside. No, it has nothing to do with jealousy (well, to be fair, maybe sometimes it does)but had to do with recognizing that Westide appears to have very questionable ethics..
                    Those are pretty strong accusations Mr or Ms "unregistered". Be more specific instead of insulting a club with generalities. It is obvious you have an axe to grind. You must live a miserable life if the only solace you find is by coming and posting anonymously on this forum. I will let you know that my kids played for Westside several years and what you described, I never experienced. I can only surmise your suffer from some sort of Westside envy. Shame on you.

Comment

That poo emoji is awesome. Carryon.
                      You can thank the Unicode Consortium for adding +1F4A9 to the standard.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/vomiting_emoji.png

Nerd humor.

Comment

Okay. I need to chime in here.My DD made a Westside team after we moved here. She had a great coach and the girls and their families all got along just fine. The team was playing a summer tournament game when our coach asked us to put up a plastic tarp on one side of the team's canopy. It turned out that our coach was shielding our players from the other team's coach, who was making derogatory remarks about our coach and some of the players. Our coach kept his composure and mentioned to the ref," You do hear what he's saying and you see how my team, me, and our families are acting. Right?"

Not only was the other team's coach yelling and screaming things, but some parents from the other team were acting the same way, and even brought a fog horn and other noise makers. Fortunately, the girls had already played through sideline drums in California and Arizona, so they weren't fazed. Unfortunately, at another game (another tournament), parents from another team yelled racial slurs at one of our players, and tried to grab some of our players!! The tournament head ref was there and called the tournament director. They apologized to us and kicked the team out of the tournament.

I've waited for our WT games and watched people acting horribly towards opposing teams, different clubs. I've also told a dad and his son from our team to shut up. Their DD wasn't picked the next year either. These things happen everywhere.

Focus on the many, many good people involved at ALL of the clubs. Thank God we have choices.

Comment

There will always be people n happy with their teams/clubs. You always see movement as well. There have always been disgruntled former families elsewhere to, and they sometimes end up at WT, FC, BSC, and possibly of late, at CU.

The OP has a personal issue that he/she is using to generalize and create unnecessary drama. Not uncommon when state cup is going on and tryouts are right around the corner.

I don't know any of these teams or the 'WT dad' but cudos to him for providing good, rather objective insights into the youngers these days.

The irony is likely that there will be so much movement for youngers in these next few years. The way the OP has been posting, I would not e surprised if his/her child ends up not continuing club soccer through the HS years and perhaps even college play.
                          You are absolutely correct. Well said.

Comment

Are you just talking about WT here? Listen, this behavior exists everywhere to some degree. Even where you are at. Based on some of your perspective, maybe you are the problem. Self reflection is important.

That is horrible about the Team Manager doing a party and not inviting one child. I agree, even dispicable. It is ridiculous parents would write letters to John Bain. At this age, parents shouldn't even be staying to watch practice. I am going to be honest with you about this 2005 Copa team. I know this because I am on the inside. You are on the outside and you do not know. You are purely speculating. It's an extremely good group of parents and kids. All of them are kind and respect each other both on and off the field. The boys have done a lot of outside activities as an entire group. In fact, the coach often makes them mandatory, so as to ensure nobody is left out. There is an excessive amount of support and generosity on this team. It was just discussed last night how every singe player is an important member of the team and has a vital role. Even if the player doesn't play at all in a game, they have an important role to on the team. The teams success is just as much theirs as it is anyone else's.

It sounds like you had a really bad WT experience and you have a beef to pick. That sucks for you and your kid. However, don't generalize about the entire club, all of the parents and every team in that way. It's just not true. Poor parent and player behavior happens at every single club in this country. However, that is truly not the case with this team. This is a very special group of kids and families who are extremely dedicated and have a healthy situation. The way you describe it is just simply not true. Since last May there was one unhappy, maybe could be described as toxic situation. That family decided not to stay with WT. That's how it works; if you are not fitting in to the model of the team, you get mad, bitter and you move on. It should stop there though. Move on, find a good fit and let it be.

Cleary you love the controversy, rumors and speculation. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's just not there. Go find it elsewhere if you are hungry for parent, player and coaching drama. We are thriving, happy, healthy and doing just fine. These relationships mean a lot more to this team than winning and that is very evident.

Comment

Does anyone know why Jaime isn't coaching next year at Westside? According to the coaches list they published. Is he at the Academy now?

Comment

Okay. I need to chime in here.My DD made a Westside team after we moved here. She had a great coach and the girls and their families all got along just fine. The team was playing a summer tournament game when our coach asked us to put up a plastic tarp on one side of the team's canopy. It turned out that our coach was shielding our players from the other team's coach, who was making derogatory remarks about our coach and some of the players. Our coach kept his composure and mentioned to the ref," You do hear what he's saying and you see how my team, me, and our families are acting. Right?"

Not only was the other team's coach yelling and screaming things, but some parents from the other team were acting the same way, and even brought a fog horn and other noise makers. Fortunately, the girls had already played through sideline drums in California and Arizona, so they weren't fazed. Unfortunately, at another game (another tournament), parents from another team yelled racial slurs at one of our players, and tried to grab some of our players!! The tournament head ref was there and called the tournament director. They apologized to us and kicked the team out of the tournament.

I've waited for our WT games and watched people acting horribly towards opposing teams, different clubs. I've also told a dad and his son from our team to shut up. Their DD wasn't picked the next year either. These things happen everywhere.

Focus on the many, many good people involved at ALL of the clubs. Thank God we have choices.
                                Come on. Everyone knows that Westside Timbers is only a boys club.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X