Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    LaSalle is good but rely on their star player. After her they are just like everyone else. So I don't know what all the cockiness is for on the LA parent's part. The players are just a supporting cast for the star. lol
    I agree....in fact, after her, sk is stronger across the board

Comment

It should be a bit worrisome though for SK to just tie Portsmouth team at home when NK crushed that Portsmouth team at Portsmouth. Even the better teams have a down day for various reasons (hence why the season should be shorter), but that's a game SK should win.

MH generally plays dirty (or chippy or physical depending on your bias) and NK typically has a way of losing away games against upper level/physical teams so yeah, MH did let it slip away.

While I am not in a position to say if the rest of the LSA team is "just like everyone else" and I fully concur with the advantages LSA (and others privates get), the point is having the POY ultimately makes a huge difference (see EWG in 2013 and Portsmouth in 2014/2016 and those teams had good "supporting cast" - and even then EWG fell short and Portsmouth won both times in shootouts). Without those two players, LSA probably would have had 5 straight titles 10 of the last 11 (the Smithfield 2012 team was very good even without the POY)

So if your're LSA and have the best player, well, never say never with the shootout in place but not expecting it to be any different than last year

Comment

That statement is just silly. La Salle is loaded with excellent soccer players that make the POY that much better. SK has a bunch of athletic kids and some of them are excellent soccer players and others are better at basketball that soccer. To say SK is better across the board is wishful thinking. Any way you slice it, La Salle has the most soccer talent in the state. That does mean they are a lock to win it however. SK will play them tough as will 3 or 4 other of the better teams.

Comment

That statement is just silly. La Salle is loaded with excellent soccer players that make the POY that much better. SK has a bunch of athletic kids and some of them are excellent soccer players and others are better at basketball that soccer. To say SK is better across the board is wishful thinking. Any way you slice it, La Salle has the most soccer talent in the state. That does mean they are a lock to win it however. SK will play them tough as will 3 or 4 other of the better teams.
          Meant to say it does *not mean they are a lock to win.

Comment

It should be a bit worrisome though for SK to just tie Portsmouth team at home when NK crushed that Portsmouth team at Portsmouth. Even the better teams have a down day for various reasons (hence why the season should be shorter), but that's a game SK should win.

MH generally plays dirty (or chippy or physical depending on your bias) and NK typically has a way of losing away games against upper level/physical teams so yeah, MH did let it slip away.

While I am not in a position to say if the rest of the LSA team is "just like everyone else" and I fully concur with the advantages LSA (and others privates get), the point is having the POY ultimately makes a huge difference (see EWG in 2013 and Portsmouth in 2014/2016 and those teams had good "supporting cast" - and even then EWG fell short and Portsmouth won both times in shootouts). Without those two players, LSA probably would have had 5 straight titles 10 of the last 11 (the Smithfield 2012 team was very good even without the POY)

So if your're LSA and have the best player, well, never say never with the shootout in place but not expecting it to be any different than last year

Not all privates are strong....Moses brown is a private but can't compete....(they are just average in D2) Why is that?

Comment

Not all privates are strong....Moses brown is a private but can't compete....(they are just average in D2) Why is that?
              Because every private has their strong athletic programs. The athletes that go to Moses Brown, go to play field hockey and lacrosse, not soccer. LaSalle is widely known for being strong in certain sports, and soccer is one of those. Kids who come from weaker academic and athletic programs also play soccer, almost always look to LaSalle as a first choice in RI. It is of course and inherent advantage for all these private schools can pull from Multiple communities both inside and outside the state of Rhode Island.

Comment

Moses Brown is very strong on the boys side and will be probably there in the semis.

The other poster has a point - but let's get to enrollment. (last year's totals)

Bishop H - 937 - all boys - they should dominate boys side..nobody within a 150 boys

LSA - 1350 - slightly more girls so around 700 girls

Moses Brown - 400 total - around 200 girls

Bayview - 350 all girls - but last senior class was 30 more than underclass average so the school is getting smaller unless there has been some bump in enrollment

Some of your D1 soccer programs girls (mostly from one town or neighboring towns)

SK - 445 girls

NK - 700 girls

Coventry - 720

Smithfield - 352 girls

MH - 466

Cumberland - 667

Essentially LSA is the close to the first in girls' enrollment AND they have the inherent advantage of drawing from two states and being selective in who they offer.

Of course, the history of RIIL makes it no surprise the inherent advantages of BH and LSA never really get challenged - except for football and hockey (no gender bias there..ahem)

Please, LSA is as close to a lock as you can get in the RIIL D1 sports..

Comment

What a dumb statement

Comment

What a dumb statement
                    I think the poster was only saying that the strong privates compete in D1 and dominate, whereas Moses Brown for girls soccer is only in D2 with not even a finals appearance when i just checked. Seems like a fair statement in terms of soccer.

Comment

Wow has MH fallen...got spanked at home by Scituate. Time to take the newcomers seriously I guess.

Comment

Wow has MH fallen...got spanked at home by Scituate. Time to take the newcomers seriously I guess.
                        Or just not take MH seriously anymore.

Comment

Or just not take MH seriously anymore.
                          I think you may be right.

Comment

Moses Brown is very strong on the boys side and will be probably there in the semis.

The other poster has a point - but let's get to enrollment. (last year's totals)

Bishop H - 937 - all boys - they should dominate boys side..nobody within a 150 boys

LSA - 1350 - slightly more girls so around 700 girls

Moses Brown - 400 total - around 200 girls

Bayview - 350 all girls - but last senior class was 30 more than underclass average so the school is getting smaller unless there has been some bump in enrollment

Some of your D1 soccer programs girls (mostly from one town or neighboring towns)

SK - 445 girls

NK - 700 girls

Coventry - 720

Smithfield - 352 girls

MH - 466

Cumberland - 667

Essentially LSA is the close to the first in girls' enrollment AND they have the inherent advantage of drawing from two states and being selective in who they offer.

Of course, the history of RIIL makes it no surprise the inherent advantages of BH and LSA never really get challenged - except for football and hockey (no gender bias there..ahem)

Please, LSA is as close to a lock as you can get in the RIIL D1 sports..
                            Yes... larger enrollment means more girls, not necessarily more soccer players or good ones that's for sure.

Comment

Thank you Scit gk mom lol

Comment

Thank you Scit gk mom lol
                                I was there scouting both teams and would have to say it is a bit of both. Mount Hope has certainly fallen, despite numerous club level players, but Scituate appears to be a quality program.

With that said, as more and more teams see Scituate play, ignorant comments such as these just clog up the board. MH has a keeper who has always been decent in my eyes, but she was clearly outshined. The more a hater like you keeps taking cheap shots at another team, the more people will actually take notice of their talents. At that point you will be left to look even more ignorant as you create a whole legion of "goalie moms" that root for the kid!!!!! as shown below...

MH: 17 shots with all but 1 saved by that terrible overrated kid

Scituate: 15 shots with 5 getting by a good keeper

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X