Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class of 2022

Covid is reeking havoc on this poor age group. I’ve heard that D1 coaches have already moved on due to Covid holdovers and full roster, but I’m still optimistic that there are spots available.

I expect some serious dialogue in the next few weeks after the ECNL Florida event.

What are we hearing / seeing out there?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Covid is reeking havoc on this poor age group. I’ve heard that D1 coaches have already moved on due to Covid holdovers and full roster, but I’m still optimistic that there are spots available.

I expect some serious dialogue in the next few weeks after the ECNL Florida event.

What are we hearing / seeing out there?
    Unfortunately, the extra season of eligibility is going to affect the next 4 recruiting classes - each one slightly less than the one before it because programs won’t know what their actual scholarship budgets are until the NCAA tells them how long that a program can stay over 15 scholarships. Uncommitted 2021s are probably SoL for D1 and the 2022s are in trouble as well - especially since they can’t have received an official offer yet. 2023s and 2024s will feel the squeeze as well

Comment

*14 scholarships. Made a typo.

Comment

Unfortunately, the extra season of eligibility is going to affect the next 4 recruiting classes - each one slightly less than the one before it because programs won’t know what their actual scholarship budgets are until the NCAA tells them how long that a program can stay over 15 scholarships. Uncommitted 2021s are probably SoL for D1 and the 2022s are in trouble as well - especially since they can’t have received an official offer yet. 2023s and 2024s will feel the squeeze as well
        14 scholarships for the women and 9.9 for the men at the D1 level.

Comment

So is the thought that with Covid eligible players staying longer than expected and less scouting and recruitment due to Covid that schools / coaches will just not make offers to the same number of players that they would normally have this year?

Nuts go with the older Covid players for now?

That seems like it could come back to bite the coaches and schools all at once in the end.

Comment

I don’t believe the coaches are done for the 2022 class. They could just officially start communication with them during lock down when very little was going on soccer wise and nothing has really changed.

I think that class will get a lot of late offers due to Covid.

Comment

So is the thought that with Covid eligible players staying longer than expected and less scouting and recruitment due to Covid that schools / coaches will just not make offers to the same number of players that they would normally have this year?

Nuts go with the older Covid players for now?

That seems like it could come back to bite the coaches and schools all at once in the end.
              One of our daughters is in a D1 program with 14 full scholarships that usually carries a roster of 24. They are recruiting as normal and the roster will swell to 32 next year.

Comment

One of our daughters is in a D1 program with 14 full scholarships that usually carries a roster of 24. They are recruiting as normal and the roster will swell to 32 next year.
                Dividing 14 scholarships across 32 players? So each player gets about 1/2 of a scholarship, roughly speaking?

Comment

Dividing 14 scholarships across 32 players? So each player gets about 1/2 of a scholarship, roughly speaking?
                  No that's not usually how it works. Some may get book money while others get 60-70% in soccer aid. Scholarships are rarely evenly divided if ever. My girl's team has 33 on roster with all but one senior returning. Next year they will have 40 on the roster. 14 scholarships are not being spred across 40 players. You would be amazed how many aren't receiving any money because they walked on for promised future money or receive money through academics and grants tht they don't need the soccer money.

Comment

No that's not usually how it works. Some may get book money while others get 60-70% in soccer aid. Scholarships are rarely evenly divided if ever. My girl's team has 33 on roster with all but one senior returning. Next year they will have 40 on the roster. 14 scholarships are not being spred across 40 players. You would be amazed how many aren't receiving any money because they walked on for promised future money or receive money through academics and grants tht they don't need the soccer money.
                    This is true of lots of schools, but not all. As covered many times before, the top tier academic and private schools do not give academic merit money and the grants and financial aid is based on family financial need. It’s not only the Ivies that work this way. This gives State and Public institutions a major advantage in recruiting.

For example: FSU can offer a few stud NT types or a stud internationals big percentages of athletic money, even a full ride. And then they back fill their roster with in state players that get very little soccer money but have Bright Futures and low in state fees. They also typically have a less competitive academic acceptance profile and there is some wiggle room to give an athlete some “academic money.”

Schools like Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame, USC, Georgetown, and Wake Forest do not have that advantage. They have to recruit well and not miss because the number of high quality players that are going to a school with a 70-80k a year price without any real financial assistance is way way less then the number of players that might be willIng to walk on or play for minimal athletic money at the big in State schools.

The Ivies have the additional disadvantage of not having athletic money either.

Comment

it's more like a bell curve - top few recruits get >65% (full ride is very rare), bulk in the middle about 30-65%, then still a good number getting well under 30% even zero. Some players are just happy to be on a roster and think maybe they'll earn PT. They want the team and / or the school so much and / or their families can afford it (or their families are low income and qualify for a ton of financial aid). That all assumes its afully funded program (not all are).

Now do that same math with men's teams and only 9.9 total scholarships for a fully funded program. It's some really sh itty math.

Comment

I don’t believe the coaches are done for the 2022 class. They could just officially start communication with them during lock down when very little was going on soccer wise and nothing has really changed.

I think that class will get a lot of late offers due to Covid.
                        22s definitely aren't done but the top programs are wrapping up and top players who were already on radars have offers. Some schools got hit harder with player deferrals than others so they'll have smaller recruiting classes. Hopefully there's a spring showcase season so the rest of the players can get seen + attend summer ID events.

Comment

This is true of lots of schools, but not all. As covered many times before, the top tier academic and private schools do not give academic merit money and the grants and financial aid is based on family financial need. It’s not only the Ivies that work this way. This gives State and Public institutions a major advantage in recruiting.

For example: FSU can offer a few stud NT types or a stud internationals big percentages of athletic money, even a full ride. And then they back fill their roster with in state players that get very little soccer money but have Bright Futures and low in state fees. They also typically have a less competitive academic acceptance profile and there is some wiggle room to give an athlete some “academic money.”

Schools like Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame, USC, Georgetown, and Wake Forest do not have that advantage. They have to recruit well and not miss because the number of high quality players that are going to a school with a 70-80k a year price without any real financial assistance is way way less then the number of players that might be willIng to walk on or play for minimal athletic money at the big in State schools.

The Ivies have the additional disadvantage of not having athletic money either.
                          You're overlooking the private schools that have large endowments. They can provide "grants" that are not based on academic merit and are not based on family financial need. Our daughter is on this situation and her "package" includes athletic aid (25%), XXXXX university grant (50%) and we pay 25%. If all goes well the next 3 years it will shift to 50% athletic aid and 50% grant to completely cover the total cost of attendance.

Comment

You're overlooking the private schools that have large endowments. They can provide "grants" that are not based on academic merit and are not based on family financial need. Our daughter is on this situation and her "package" includes athletic aid (25%), XXXXX university grant (50%) and we pay 25%. If all goes well the next 3 years it will shift to 50% athletic aid and 50% grant to completely cover the total cost of attendance.
                            That’s excellent for you guys and players in general. It’s my understanding that the big name academic schools similar to the ones listed (obviously have very large endowments as well) do not do this. Can you confirm?

I mean all the big name private schools have large endowments and the ability to just provide a “university grant” to an athlete reeks of extra athletic scholarships. Especially, those schools with extremely competitive admission profiles. I mean, I guess at least it would start to level the playing field with the big state schools...I’m just skeptical.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Just because the NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility to all seniors this years DOES NOT mean that the colleges are REQUIRED to grant them scholarships again. Talk to the coaches that are recruiting your kids or that your kids are interested playing at.

Before my daughter's class (c/o 21) signed their NLI back in November the college coach sent an email to all commits letting them know that current seniors on the roster will not be awarded athletic scholarships for 2021-2022 season.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X