Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    All families have their own circumstances and priorities. Do whatever you feel.
    That said, advising against an art major is sound advice. If most people heeded similar advice, we would have a lot less student debt.
    The comparison of spending money on soccer is not appropriate unless a family sends their kid to play soccer at a school while pairing that with a useless major. At that point the kid is essentially majoring in soccer. Then the comparison is apt. If you spend money on club soccer as a youth but then prep the kid for adulthood with a major in something viable, it is not a good comparison.
    What is a useless major? Prep the kid for your vision of adulthood?

Comment

What is a useless major? Prep the kid for your vision of adulthood?
      A useless major is one that will not provide you with an income that allows you to make ends meet. Debate that if you must.

Comment

A useless major is one that will not provide you with an income that allows you to make ends meet. Debate that if you must.
        Actually wanted examples. I understood your definition of useless. Why not just learn a trade then?

Comment

All families have their own circumstances and priorities. Do whatever you feel.
          That said, advising against an art major is sound advice. If most people heeded similar advice, we would have a lot less student debt.
          The comparison of spending money on soccer is not appropriate unless a family sends their kid to play soccer at a school while pairing that with a useless major. At that point the kid is essentially majoring in soccer. Then the comparison is apt. If you spend money on club soccer as a youth but then prep the kid for adulthood with a major in something viable, it is not a good comparison.
          It all depends on the circumstances. A kid who gets a scholarship to be an art major might be fine to do it. It doesn't mean every kid should be an art major, any more than every kid should be an engineer. Not does it mean than an art major is required to work as a professional artist (demonstrably this is not so) any more than a computer science bachelor's degree is needed to be a successful programmer. What it says on your piece of paper can help, but it doesn't get you the job.

A few kids even essentially "major" in a sport for college and pick up a "useless" degree because it's a requirement for the program. For some it works out. Others end up getting jobs in something else.

Comment

Sorry if not everyone likes the advice they get, but that doesn't mean it's not valid. With so much discussion about the cost of college, we should be looking at what we are actually doing in college.

Dropping a couple hundred thousand dollars on a worthless degree, and then wondering how to pay for it (and looking for me to pitch in for you) is a practice that needs to stop. Immediately.
            Why is the degree "worthless?" Is immediate earning potential the ONLY barometer of value? You must be a pretty shallow person --- only engineers, computer techs, accountants, doctors and lawyers need apply?

Where in the OP's post do they ask you to help pay for the degree? Some people simply want to learn or want to be great at something that matters to them. If they can afford to do it, what business is it of yours?

Sorry that your intellectual capabilities are so narrow.

Comment

We also don’t spend $200k on a nearly useless degree, but if you want to do so for your kid, that is your prerogative.
              ...but you'll spend nearly half that to let your kid play a nearly useless sport. Your kid might get a college uniform and never see the field, but you can judge others' choices and options. Good for you, I guess.

Comment

Actually wanted examples. I understood your definition of useless. Why not just learn a trade then?
                Fully agree. A trade provides a means of earning a living. If you want you can pair that with associates in business a make a small fortune in a lifetime.

Comment

...but you'll spend nearly half that to let your kid play a nearly useless sport. Your kid might get a college uniform and never see the field, but you can judge others' choices and options. Good for you, I guess.
                  Agree that spending money on soccer and spending money on learning the arts have similar values. Learning to paint or play music helps broaden a person’s perspective much like soccer teaches teamwork, leadership and hard work. However, I expect most would agree that expecting a living wage in soccer after college would be poor decision. That’s why kids major in something other than soccer. At the end of college, where will the arts degree leave you?

Comment

Hanging

Comment

Agree that spending money on soccer and spending money on learning the arts have similar values. Learning to paint or play music helps broaden a person’s perspective much like soccer teaches teamwork, leadership and hard work. However, I expect most would agree that expecting a living wage in soccer after college would be poor decision. That’s why kids major in something other than soccer. At the end of college, where will the arts degree leave you?
                      Teaching? Working for an agency? Working for a design firm? Working in the graphics department of any one of a hundred companies? Doing free lance work? I have a brother that teaches and earns a great second income as a studio musician. He loves what he's doing far more than I like what I do.

I'm generally fascinated by the suggestions that only earning a large income is an acceptable goal. If so, why does anyone become a teacher, or any of a host of jobs that are not terribly lucrative?

Comment

Teaching? Working for an agency? Working for a design firm? Working in the graphics department of any one of a hundred companies? Doing free lance work? I have a brother that teaches and earns a great second income as a studio musician. He loves what he's doing far more than I like what I do.

I'm generally fascinated by the suggestions that only earning a large income is an acceptable goal. If so, why does anyone become a teacher, or any of a host of jobs that are not terribly lucrative?
                        Thank you! Find your passion and make a career of it. Sometimes it even can be lucrative, but many people aren't driven by financial compensation.

Comment

To think like you do implies you are not the demographic Club soccer for girls is trying to attract. Quality of life has no value to some because you cant count it, show other people etc. Its a state of mind that you cant buy and really cant guarantee.

Comment

To think like you do implies you are not the demographic Club soccer for girls is trying to attract. Quality of life has no value to some because you cant count it, show other people etc. Its a state of mind that you cant buy and really cant guarantee.
                            Oh well. If you have true quality of life not like some anonymous trolls on the Internet are going to take it away from you.

Comment

The difference is these parents who dropped half the amount of a college education is looking for the government to pay them back....
                              She can always pursue art and marry a rich guy.

Comment

She can always pursue art and marry a rich guy.
                                Thats an interesting point of view, practical but also very dark

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X