Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Forget about the level and play for a coach that's connected.
    This is very true. Connected and that cares for the whole team. I know of some that only promote two or three of his players.

Also true, College coaches shop there player and no the team.

Comment

D1 teams rosters:
      a. 50% foreign players
      b. 50% MLS academies players
      Don’t waste time with D1. Try DIII. So both are dead ends for young players.
      Regards.
      Boys yes, girls - the OP has a girl - no. There's 100 more D1 programs for women vs men, more scholarships per team, far fewer international players. However academic goals should always be the first criteria. Make a long list of good academic fit schools then see if the soccer is a fit. The thread PP and his daughter should be looking at this now. If soccer players at target schools are all EXNL with national accolades then it's a poor fit for her.

Also consider that D1 is a full year job while D3 offers a more balanced student athlete experience.

Comment

Doesn’t matter because in either of these scenarios they are not a DI level player.
        There's plenty of low level D1 players that aren't any better than top D3 players. Some excellent D3 players don't want D1 or don't want to play at East Yahoo State. There just not the same depth with D3 and its a very different level of commitment

Comment

Plenty of non Ecnl players getting into top D1 also. Don’t believe the ECNL hype.
          Top D1? Rarely, and most would be GDA/GAL not ECLR. Also, not many of those players will get much PT, another important consideration. The drop out rate for D1 sports is very high - cuts, burnout, frustration with no PT, or just wanting to focus more in school

Comment

Most parents and players don't realize what playing D-1 entails.

I have two kids who have played soccer for years at all levels. One currently starts for a fairly high level D-1 program, and one is still playing at the club level.

Lets break down a day in the life of of D-1 player....

Imagine for a moment that you need to wake up at 5 or 6AM almost every morning in order to lift weights, run sprints, attend 2-3 hour training, or re-hab sessions BEFORE you start your school day? Then you scramble off to class, get back to your dorm in the late afternoon just in time to spend hours studying. Hopefully there is time to shove some underwhelming food down your throat as you attempt to squeeze in a few moments with your friends.

Then you pass out, wake up and do it all over again. Sounds great doesn't it?

Oh I forgot a few minor details....

Out of the 30 or so "players" only 22 suit up or travel with the team.
            Travel often includes long bus rides or horrible flight schedules with multiple stopovers.
            The food is hit or miss at best. Most of your time is spent trying to catch up on your school work.

"Suiting up" for home game days means that you wear the jersey. All players not "suiting up" wear another jersey of a different color. All of your friends and family can clearly see that you are a player that doesn't "suit up".

Oh, I forgot another minor detail...

Of the 22 players that "suit up" only about 15-17 players actually play.
            Of the 15-17 players that actually play only about 13 get any real minutes.

And the players who play? They must be happy right??

The impact players are often driven into the ground playing with all sorts of pains, strains, nicks and bruises. But they are the lucky ones.

In the case of my daughter she of course has many friends on the team. A lot of her friends either don't get many minutes, or don't suit of at all. She is surrounded by constant bitching, crying and negativity. Many of the players are seeing a therapist in order to cope.
            This includes starters and impact players.

I can go on and on about the stress coming from the Head coach but I don't have all day.

Here is the bottom line-

1. Your kid needs to target the level of program that is best suited for them.

2. DO NOT PUSH TO HAVE YOUR KID GO AFTER A PROGRAM OVER THEIR HEADS!!!

3. FINANCIAL AID IS THE BEST SCHOLARSHIP AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!

4. AVOID TAKING ATHLETIC MONEY IF YOU CAN!!!!

5. ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF CLUB, HIGH SCHOOL ETC AND HAVE FUN!!!!

I apologize if you think that I'm only focusing on the negative. My older daughter is going to one of the top schools in the country and she has a tremendous scholarship. She is getting a great education and has met incredible people.

My younger daughter is a good soccer player but not on the level of her older sister. She
            can "play" D-1 but there is no way. We will be thrilled to see her in a Florida State school and enjoy normal college life.
            Thank you for this post. This is what I will show my daughter once she is at the point where she is deciding on college. She will most likely finish top 10 in her class, has college and boarding pre paid or can afford any portion not provided by an academic scholarship. She absolutely loves to play soccer. I will support her decision in whatever she chooses but I’m hoping she chooses a path that fits her more academically than soccer. I think this post is enlightening.

Comment

I’m be honest here. Which of these situations is better suited to have your kid get recruited for a d1 college?

Being a good bench player on an ECNL team getting 15 minutes a half at more than one position?

Or

Being the star player on an ECNL-R team?

Our ECNL team plays in more showcases and the team is in front college coaches more often. The ECNL-R team also plays in several tournaments just doesn’t have access to the ECNL showcases.

I feel the video we could send to interested coaches would be better playing against the ECNL-R teams.

What do you think?
              Find a club with a coach or coaching staff that have a history of college placement. Not just a history of sending a player or two to the ACC, but a history of giving all players an opportunity to play college that meets the level of the player. It can be tricky taking care of all the players on the roster, but a number of top clubs make it happen every year. Again, i am not saying all the players will all end up in the ACC, but I am saying that a quality club coach, or director of college placement, will create opportunities for kids. Then as a family you have a choice. The very best players never have to worry, but players 3 to 20 on a roster need a club coach that has connections and a history of dealing with college coaches. Oh, if you get some soccer money, that is a bonus, never go in expecting to get athletic money.

Comment

Thank you for this post. This is what I will show my daughter once she is at the point where she is deciding on college. She will most likely finish top 10 in her class, has college and boarding pre paid or can afford any portion not provided by an academic scholarship. She absolutely loves to play soccer. I will support her decision in whatever she chooses but I’m hoping she chooses a path that fits her more academically than soccer. I think this post is enlightening.
                She'll have many opportunities in D3, where she'll probably play more and will have more time for academics and a social life that doesn't entirely revolve around soccer. If she's interested in internships or study abroad those are extremely limited with D1. Tough STEM degrees can also be very challenging as a D1 athlete (take a look at players' majors on team websites). Not all top academic schools giver merit money but many do. D3 coaches like smart players they don't have to worry about getting or keeping up while in school.

FWIW mine were gun ho about D1 until the recruiting actually started and many of those above points became more clear to them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X