Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There really isn’t a “separate” indoor track and outdoor track team. It’s just Track & Field. Check their site. PS - most college soccer programs also have a spring season.
    D1 yes, not D3. D1 spring is shorter than the fall..

There was talk of possibly making it an all year sport but now with all the cuts that will happen there is no way schools can justify the costs

Comment

Brown has the most sports of all the Ivies and many if the programs are basement dwellers
      So you are saying brown athletics are like UConn athletics.

Comment

So you are saying brown athletics are like UConn athletics.
        Funny...even thugs have some common sense....not the Waffle House!

https://nypost.com/2020/05/30/atlant...floyd-protest/

Comment

Brown has the most sports of all the Ivies and many if the programs are basement dwellers
          Brown has more sports than Harvard?

Comment

Brown has more sports than Harvard?
            Brown has 16 men's and 20 women's teams https://brownbears.com/

Harvard is almost the same https://www.gocrimson.com/landing/index

Both have teams that aren't all Ivy conference and some may be not much more than clubs.
            I think Brown is making several of them officially clubs now. No way some of these sports make it any school - imagine what it costs to run an equestrian program? Skiing? How does Harvard have a ski team?

Comment

Both have teams that aren't all Ivy conference and some may be not much more than clubs.
              I think Brown is making several of them officially clubs now. No way some of these sports make it any school - imagine what it costs to run an equestrian program? Skiing? How does Harvard have a ski team?
              Same way that BC does

Comment

When I read Brown was getting out of a bunch of varsity sports I was surprised. Then I saw the sports and read the reasoning and it made much more sense - fencing? equestrian? golf (in the Northeast??)? It's not money drive (or so they say) and more just trimming a bunch of tertiary sports they can't compete in. Varsity horseback riding. Who knew?

Comment

When I read Brown was getting out of a bunch of varsity sports I was surprised. Then I saw the sports and read the reasoning and it made much more sense - fencing? equestrian? golf (in the Northeast??)? It's not money drive (or so they say) and more just trimming a bunch of tertiary sports they can't compete in. Varsity horseback riding. Who knew?
                  It's Ivy league .... equestrian, fencing, golf, crew, and polo make perfect sense! Don't be surprised if alumni benefactors from those fields don't withhold donations in the future .... with their endowments, no Ivies should cut anything .... these sports have all been paid for for the next 100 years, 10x over!

Comment

Bowling is a varsity sport at some schools. Fun activity, but a sport?

Comment

Bowling is a varsity sport at some schools. Fun activity, but a sport?
                      Many should be clubs, not scholarship sports or anything that affords preferential admissions treatment. Some of them are also for the well off who can afford them, which also mostly whites. A rowing team isn't exactly going to diversify the student body.

Comment

Many should be clubs, not scholarship sports or anything that affords preferential admissions treatment. Some of them are also for the well off who can afford them, which also mostly whites. A rowing team isn't exactly going to diversify the student body.
                        And how is soccer different exactly? Unless you are a foreign male playing here?

Comment

Why do sports need to be used to diversify the student base race?

It brings diverse passions and at the large schools, revenue streams. You think they have D1 basketball just to get blacks on campus? That seems racist.

Comment

Why do sports need to be used to diversify the student base race?

It brings diverse passions and at the large schools, revenue streams. You think they have D1 basketball just to get blacks on campus? That seems racist.
                            It's kind of how it works at some schools. I don't think the poster meant it's intentional but how it plays out. College football and basketball teams will be more diverse than the average student body at many schools. A polo team? Who even knew there were college polo teams. I think it's safe to assume the socio-economic background of most polo players.

Comment

It's kind of how it works at some schools. I don't think the poster meant it's intentional but how it plays out. College football and basketball teams will be more diverse than the average student body at many schools. A polo team? Who even knew there were college polo teams. I think it's safe to assume the socio-economic background of most polo players.
                              The exact opposite of all of the basketball players right?

Comment

Next you will be saying the swim team doesn't have blacks because none of them know how to swim.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X