X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKBN2351I9

For schools like PSU, 60+% of Athletic Dept revenue from football, including 20+% from football game ticket sales. Even if the season goes on with no or fewer spectators, that’s a huge hit to the budgets for non-revenue sports like soccer.
    PSU also is a state school which is dependent on a lot of state funds/taxpayer money for its reduced tuition.

Comment

Frankly, you're the one that's confused about the interplay of sports and education. Sports enhance the education for most. Many employers prefer athletes. To be able to excel in academics while also committing so much time to a sport makes the candidate more attractive to many. And many athletes learn more from their coaches and teammates than they do from some of their professors.
      Sports is great for many things and if a player wants to play in college and is able to get a good education, then that’s great too. But let’s not sell sports for more than what it is. If an employer is picking you primarily because of your affiliation with sports and not your course of study, other experiences outside sports, or for who are as a person; then run like hell away from that opportunity. When I interview people, the only thing I’m looking for is intelligence, a passion for their career (not sports), and a window into their personality that tells me they want to excel (it could be sports or debate team or charity work). I would never hire just because someone was an athlete. In fact, my experience has been when the main accomplishment on the resume is sports, it’s not a good sign.

And if sports is so great and you are so good at it, why not go pro and bypass college? Knew a kid that was a very good baseball player and went into the minors for a couple years, but never got called up so he then went to college. He said the minors were 10x harder than the D1 college team he played on and it was almost a joke how bad the average college player was in comparison.

Comment

Sports is great for many things and if a player wants to play in college and is able to get a good education, then that’s great too. But let’s not sell sports for more than what it is. If an employer is picking you primarily because of your affiliation with sports and not your course of study, other experiences outside sports, or for who are as a person; then run like hell away from that opportunity. When I interview people, the only thing I’m looking for is intelligence, a passion for their career (not sports), and a window into their personality that tells me they want to excel (it could be sports or debate team or charity work). I would never hire just because someone was an athlete. In fact, my experience has been when the main accomplishment on the resume is sports, it’s not a good sign.

And if sports is so great and you are so good at it, why not go pro and bypass college? Knew a kid that was a very good baseball player and went into the minors for a couple years, but never got called up so he then went to college. He said the minors were 10x harder than the D1 college team he played on and it was almost a joke how bad the average college player was in comparison.
        You can’t play professional baseball at any level and then go back and play college ball.

Comment

PSU also is a state school which is dependent on a lot of state funds/taxpayer money for its reduced tuition.
          You don’t know much about the current finances at “state” schools. PSU like most traditional state colleges used to get the majority of its revenue from the state 40+ years ago, but states have frozen and/or reduced the appropriations they receive since then while student populations have skyrocketed. Students/families are making up the difference and it’s why so many are in debt.

PSU gets less than 4% of its operating budget from the state. That’s not a typo.

Here’s a 2011 letter after the last financial crisis when PSU had its funding cut. They were getting $182 million from the state at that time after the cut and have a $6.8 billion budget including the university hospital system.
          https://news.psu.edu/story/159247/20...ing-penn-state

Comment

You can’t play professional baseball at any level and then go back and play college ball.
            Wrong. The NCAA reviews eligibility on an individual basis and some young minor leaguers do return to college teams. A Class A player earning $40/day during the season signed to an independent MiLB team aren’t exactly the “professionals” the NCAA is worried about.

Comment

Fraudulent post. Learn how the colleges treat ex professionals before you go and make sh*t up...

Comment

Fraudulent post. Learn how the colleges treat ex professionals before you go and make sh*t up...
                Prove me wrong instead of spouting BS. Go look at some internationals on men’s college soccer teams. A lot of them are men in their mid-20’s and 30’s who most likely played professionally at some point. Happens all the time.

Comment

"Big East dividing in TWO"
                  I think you meant Atlantic 10.
                  No, I said Big East cause that is what is happening.

Comment

Prove me wrong instead of spouting BS. Go look at some internationals on men’s college soccer teams. A lot of them are men in their mid-20’s and 30’s who most likely played professionally at some point. Happens all the time.
                    Yes it does. Rare but occurring moves like that in Basketball and football draw all the attention and are scrutinized more by the press. No one pays attention to men's college soccer.

Comment

You don’t know much about the current finances at “state” schools. PSU like most traditional state colleges used to get the majority of its revenue from the state 40+ years ago, but states have frozen and/or reduced the appropriations they receive since then while student populations have skyrocketed. Students/families are making up the difference and it’s why so many are in debt.

PSU gets less than 4% of its operating budget from the state. That’s not a typo.

Here’s a 2011 letter after the last financial crisis when PSU had its funding cut. They were getting $182 million from the state at that time after the cut and have a $6.8 billion budget including the university hospital system.
                      Most state schools have had funding cut over the years. Hence ever rising tuition, as well as a heavier reliance on full paying out of state and international students.

Comment

Most kids that play baseball go to jr college so they can enter draft earlier. Baseball does not draft unless you finish once you enter college 2 or 4 yrs.

Comment

That was Corbett in 2011 who had axe to grind with PSU. Recent administrations much more generous with state funds going to PSU.

Comment

That was Corbett in 2011 who had axe to grind with PSU. Recent administrations much more generous with state funds going to PSU.
                            Uh, wrong. In fiscal year 2020, PA split only $477 million amongst 14 PA state universities (fourteen!) with PSU getting the lion’s share. As the article below says, adjusted for inflation the amount is unchanged since 2011.

https://papost.org/2020/04/15/pa-s-s...case-scenario/

Same thing happening everywhere. Eventually when you get to the point of closing campuses, then sports are also on the chopping block.

Comment

Uh, wrong. In fiscal year 2020, PA split only $477 million amongst 14 PA state universities (fourteen!) with PSU getting the lion’s share. As the article below says, adjusted for inflation the amount is unchanged since 2011.

https://papost.org/2020/04/15/pa-s-s...case-scenario/

Same thing happening everywhere. Eventually when you get to the point of closing campuses, then sports are also on the chopping block.
                              Yes support cuts have been made over the years in almost every state. Now states will be facing severe budget crises because of falling sales and income taxes revenues. Cuts to state schools will only get worse. Tuition will go up, fewer will be able to afford to go because of price and Covid economics. It's a good time to be an out of state applicant willing to pay full boat

Comment

Many schools still don't know for sure how they're going to handle re opening What Will College Be Like in the Fall? https://nyti.ms/2U30kAM

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X