Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does league even matter?

With some top clubs dropping DA and going all in for ECNL is it true that ECNL has the best “top” clubs and the most depth? I’m very familiar with the northeast but no idea the difference nationally, if any.

Maybe more important...if your d is looking to play college ball does it matter which league? Guessing coaches are showing up to most worthwhile showcase events

Full transparency..no troll, DA parent considering a switch.

League matters locally and regionally so you can have good competition. What league is good in Texas is not important in Massachusetts.

Comment

League doesn’t matter. The amount of talent your kid has matters. If they are good, they will be noticed.

Comment

Doesn't matter. If your kid is developing, is challenged, and games are competitive that's all that matters.

If your kid is at the bottom of the team, they are on the wrong team. If they are better than anyone else, they are on the wrong team.

All the top leagues generate interest from the next level. A kid that can play will be found. It may be harder, and they may have to do some things separate, but if they are good they will be found.

Only the insecure devote time worrying about what the neighbor is doing and the patch they have on their jersey.

Comment

If your kid is a super start she will be found in DA, ECNL or NPL.

That said, and its just my opinion, but NE ECNL has better teams and better talent top to bottom than NE GDA and it really isn't even close. The primary benefit of ECNL as far as I am concerned is that if your goal is college soccer, there is no better platform than ECNL, as their national events are geared towards college exposure. In fact, its the mission statement of the league.

Comment

^^ Case in point.

The league doesn't matter. Only the insecure concentrate on it so much.

Comment

Yes, league matters. I had a D2 coach tell me that at a showcase. If D2 coaches say there is a difference, what do D1 coaches think? Is it possible to get into a college of your choice playing in NPL or National League? Absolutely. However, if you want as many coaches' eyes on your kid as possible, then yes league does matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                Yes, league matters. I had a D2 coach tell me that at a showcase. If D2 coaches say there is a difference, what do D1 coaches think? Is it possible to get into a college of your choice playing in NPL or National League? Absolutely. However, if you want as many coaches' eyes on your kid as possible, then yes league does matter.
                My kid plays at a TOP D2 school and the coach didn't care that she played in NPL. In fact, she started every game as a freshmen. Her team also has a large number of international players and I'm pretty sure they didn't play in ECNL/DA either. If your kid has talent it makes ABSOLUTELY no difference what league she played in.

Comment

League doesn’t matter. The amount of talent your kid has matters. If they are good, they will be noticed.
                  Yes but many parents over estimate how special their kid is. It's easier to stand out in NPL but that doesn't mean you're well prepared for college. Also the other two leagues definitely have better exposure.
                  The good news is college coaches know the leagues are a mess right now. If you're with a quality club and you're talented and you're working hard the patch matters less.

Comment

My kid plays at a TOP D2 school and the coach didn't care that she played in NPL. In fact, she started every game as a freshmen. Her team also has a large number of international players and I'm pretty sure they didn't play in ECNL/DA either. If your kid has talent it makes ABSOLUTELY no difference what league she played in.
                    For D2. If you want too D1 then NPL players will have a tough time getting their foot in the door. Mid to lower level D1 then a patch mayyers much less

Comment

For D2. If you want too D1 then NPL players will have a tough time getting their foot in the door. Mid to lower level D1 then a patch mayyers much less
                      Yes it will require more work, but it can be done. Most kids are not playing at Duke, FSU or Penn State. NPL is fine for MOST players, certainly D2 and mid to lower level D1. If your kid has the ability to play at a top 25 ranked school then by all means pay for all the travel, but if your kid is a mid-level D1 or below there is absolutely NO need.

If a coach is recruiting international players he probably has no understanding of the league they play in, it's all about talent.

Comment

NPL player playing at Florida State next year. How's that fit into your narrative?

Talent will be found.

Comment

NPL player playing at Florida State next year. How's that fit into your narrative?

Talent will be found.
                          Exception to the rule. To get recruited to that level you have to be special. Few MA players fit that description. Also NPL quality has greatly declined with GDA entering the market because there isn't enough talent for all these leagues. She was recruited awhile ago.

Comment

Exception to the rule. To get recruited to that level you have to be special. Few MA players fit that description. Also NPL quality has greatly declined with GDA entering the market because there isn't enough talent for all these leagues. She was recruited awhile ago.
                            My daughter would rather play NPL over DA if she had to choose. DA is not at all desirable for her and many other players. College coaches know that DA is not the only place to look for talent outside of ECNL.

Comment

Sure it does as does the top league in FL and SoCal .... if top schools do most of their shopping in those outstanding leagues in the future, no need to travel to the Northeast to watch kids who cant make HS teams play other bad kids in our top league. Local coaches can get to local games but top programs are not traveling 1,000 miles to see one kid in a local game. This aint NCAA basketball or football. Top leagues will draw college coaches from all over the place to do one-stop shopping. Yes, they will miss plenty of fine needles, but they can't scour every haystack all over the country to find them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X