Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's more important for development?

My 12 year old plays for a non-MLS DA team. He used to play offense switching between striker and offensive midfielder. He joined a DA team that already had some very strong players. They shifted him to defense where he starts and plays nearly every minute. However, he doesn't look as good, decisive, or as fast as he used to. He really likes the team and his teammates and refuses to leave for a rival DA team. My question is where is he more likely to reach his full potential? Playing against tougher opponents in a tougher league with more talented teammates? Or taking him back to his town team where he can play a more natural position?

He's 12; he has no natural position. Being a goal-scorer on a town team is relatively useless.

Playing is more important, no matter where it is. Kids should learn to play all positions anyway, and I guarantee if he really has an offensive knack than playing in the back will be a benefit.

My D went through something similar. Moved to a bigger club and she mostly played in the middle. Saw it was loaded there, needed an outside back, so she said she'd play it. Never comes off the field.

Comment

One could make the argument that by putting in the hours in a position that doesn't come as natural to your child it will make him a better and more well rounded player in the long run.

Besides, striker is the least challenging position to play in soccer. Any kid with a bit of speed and talent can run down the field as fast as he can and rip off a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        My 12 year old plays for a non-MLS DA team. He used to play offense switching between striker and offensive midfielder. He joined a DA team that already had some very strong players. They shifted him to defense where he starts and plays nearly every minute. However, he doesn't look as good, decisive, or as fast as he used to. He really likes the team and his teammates and refuses to leave for a rival DA team. My question is where is he more likely to reach his full potential? Playing against tougher opponents in a tougher league with more talented teammates? Or taking him back to his town team where he can play a more natural position?
        He's way too young to be pigeon holed, either by you or a coach. For now his coach thinks where he's playing is best for him and the team. Next year it could be entirely different. The only reason to move him down is if he wan't playing and was in over his head. But he is playing and presumedly learning from training sessions as well. Moving down isn't god for him developmentally - it will only artificially inflate his ego, and more importantly YOURS. If he's happy and learning, let it be for at least another year

Comment

As he gets older he will get moved again; it almost always happens and is good for developing a whole player. Coaches love players that can play multiple positions. Also, fixating on only one position can put you at risk for cuts/not finding other spots because you have no depth

Comment

He's way too young to be pigeon holed, either by you or a coach. For now his coach thinks where he's playing is best for him and the team. Next year it could be entirely different. The only reason to move him down is if he wan't playing and was in over his head. But he is playing and presumedly learning from training sessions as well. Moving down isn't god for him developmentally - it will only artificially inflate his ego, and more importantly YOURS. If he's happy and learning, let it be for at least another year
            OP here. Already been 2 seasons. When he gets moved he'll be moved to center defense when the field gets larger. Writing is on the wall. I have no doubt the coach is playing him where he thinks it's best for the team. My question is what's best for my son. For the record he is definitely happy. That's why he is still there. I'm assuming he's learning in training sessions.

Comment

sometimes it is just a question of the coach finding ways to put his best 11 kids on the field at the same time, balancing their physical and mental attributes. Perhaps he wants a speedy defender overlapping regularly and put your kid there. Perhaps he knows his CMs are great technical players but too slow to put in outside positions. In the end good players will be good anywhere and often will move between positions throughout their time playing. Even happens to pros.

Comment

As he gets older he will get moved again; it almost always happens and is good for developing a whole player. Coaches love players that can play multiple positions. Also, fixating on only one position can put you at risk for cuts/not finding other spots because you have no depth
                OP again. He's only played the 2 positions since he's been there. Right back and left back. He is pigeon-holed and not playing multiple positions. My fear is that he's not learning to play any of the positions that he might excel at. If this fear is unfounded and kids can develop solely in training then I will happily leave him there.

Comment

OP again. He's only played the 2 positions since he's been there. Right back and left back. He is pigeon-holed and not playing multiple positions. My fear is that he's not learning to play any of the positions that he might excel at. If this fear is unfounded and kids can develop solely in training then I will happily leave him there.
                  Why not try another DA level club?

I would not move back to town. That level will be boring for him as he's now seen the quality of play that DA teams offer. Maybe just a fresh look by different coaches would help, though?

Comment

Does the coach move other kids around and not him? That's a sign of trouble. However, plenty of coaches are lazy/don't pay attention and don't move players around. They also are happy to keep with a winning formula that helps them keep their job.

If other kids aren't getting moved (as they should at that age) then you won't be the only unhappy parent. Rally a few other parents and talk with the coach (safety in numbers). He might not be aware he hasn't moved anyone in forever. If that goes nowhere talk to the club.

Comment

Why not try another DA level club?

I would not move back to town. That level will be boring for him as he's now seen the quality of play that DA teams offer. Maybe just a fresh look by different coaches would help, though?
                      Sometimes moving isn't the answer; you could wind up in a worse situation. This particular coach could just be a poor coach. He also might not be the same coach for next year. A conversation with the coach is in order. Just don't go in loaded for bear - be polite, ask questions. If you don't get anywhere then express your concerns to the DOC.

Comment

Does the coach move other kids around and not him? That's a sign of trouble. However, plenty of coaches are lazy/don't pay attention and don't move players around. They also are happy to keep with a winning formula that helps them keep their job.

If other kids aren't getting moved (as they should at that age) then you won't be the only unhappy parent. Rally a few other parents and talk with the coach (safety in numbers). He might not be aware he hasn't moved anyone in forever. If that goes nowhere talk to the club.
                        No. Very little movement. Most positions are solidified. I'm sure the coach is very aware. He's a good coach. He just wants to win and is sticking with the winning formula. Also very little communication between coach and parents. He wants it that way I'm assuming. I believe playing time is there means of communication. What I'm hearing is he likes my son as a defender.

Comment

Sounds to me like your son is in the best position for him right now.

Outside backs no longer stand at the midfield and wait to defend. A majority of attacks now come from out wide and outside backs are vital

Comment

No. Very little movement. Most positions are solidified. I'm sure the coach is very aware. He's a good coach. He just wants to win and is sticking with the winning formula. Also very little communication between coach and parents. He wants it that way I'm assuming. I believe playing time is there means of communication. What I'm hearing is he likes my son as a defender.
                            If he puts winning over the development of 11 year olds then he isn't a good coach. Find out if he'll be your kids coach next year - if he will be seek other options. If he won't be and the club overall is good, stay.

Comment

If he puts winning over the development of 11 year olds then he isn't a good coach. Find out if he'll be your kids coach next year - if he will be seek other options. If he won't be and the club overall is good, stay.
                              This is the opinion of the OP, we don't know if that's the case. Honestly, it sounds to me like a situation where someone stepped up a level, and coach puts them in the best position for that player to succeed.

Not everyone can, nor should, be an attacking midfielder. Certain skillsets are better utilized outside.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X