Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Another lame comment from an amateur economist who wants to talk about soccer in terms of customers and products. This is why soccer is poor in the US: parents who looking for a result (glory for ulittles; “showcases” and college offers for HS players) and shop around for it like they are looking for the nicest bananas at the supermarket. They can’t see what’s not in their face or their immediate self-interest.

I’ll give you an example, did customers invent the internet? Short answer is no. When the internet became commercialized most people had no idea what it was or how it would impact or improve their lives. Customers are dumb. They believe the marketing they are force-fed and they spend obscene amounts on stupid products.

Asking a soccer parent how to improve the game is a complete waste of time.
    We are all just products of our own environment.

Comment

I'm all for kids trying all kinds of things out on the field to learn. What's frustrating is when a kid does the same thing all the time (for two years straight), is not successful with it, but seems to learn nothing from it. At that point, it's time for the coach to give a helpful suggestion, especially if they know the kid is a little slower to learn.
      If a kid makes the same mistake for two years, then the coach should be fired because he should have corrected it early on and taken the kid off the field if they continued to do it over and over.

Comment

We are all just products of our own environment.
        Now we’ve gone from economics to sociology. Next someone will say it’s all in the genes and we’ll go to biology.

Comment

this is the dumbest farking thread and I can't believe someone took the time to post it and i'm so stupid I took the time to read it.

Comment

this is the dumbest farking thread and I can't believe someone took the time to post it and i'm so stupid I took the time to read it.
            Don't stop there...you also took time to reply to it.

And, I'll do you one better...I took the time to reply to you about it...

Comment

Another lame comment from an amateur economist who wants to talk about soccer in terms of customers and products. This is why soccer is poor in the US: parents who looking for a result (glory for ulittles; “showcases” and college offers for HS players) and shop around for it like they are looking for the nicest bananas at the supermarket. They can’t see what’s not in their face or their immediate self-interest.

I’ll give you an example, did customers invent the internet? Short answer is no. When the internet became commercialized most people had no idea what it was or how it would impact or improve their lives. Customers are dumb. They believe the marketing they are force-fed and they spend obscene amounts on stupid products.

Asking a soccer parent how to improve the game is a complete waste of time.
              When the internet came along, people were already looking for better ways to communicate, share and acquire information. They'd been doing so for generations. The internet simply gave people an infinitely faster and more efficient means for doing so (not to mention all the more negative aspects that it also delivered).

To use your analogy, you're going to propose a way of giving parents/customers a cheaper, more efficient way of teaching their kids to play the game, separate the average from the college prospects, and get the top players connected to college programs. I'm all for it, because that's what we all want and will even pay for. Don't tell me that we want to pay for a system that will make the top 10-15 kids my daughter's age better, more creative players so that 1 or 2 of them can someday compete with France in the WC - because that's not what we want.

Sorry for the simple economics lesson, but the people with the $ control the ultimate objective for the soccer system. If someone else is going to supply the $, then they get to call the shots.

Comment

When the internet came along, people were already looking for better ways to communicate, share and acquire information. They'd been doing so for generations. The internet simply gave people an infinitely faster and more efficient means for doing so (not to mention all the more negative aspects that it also delivered).

To use your analogy, you're going to propose a way of giving parents/customers a cheaper, more efficient way of teaching their kids to play the game, separate the average from the college prospects, and get the top players connected to college programs. I'm all for it, because that's what we all want and will even pay for. Don't tell me that we want to pay for a system that will make the top 10-15 kids my daughter's age better, more creative players so that 1 or 2 of them can someday compete with France in the WC - because that's not what we want.

Sorry for the simple economics lesson, but the people with the $ control the ultimate objective for the soccer system. If someone else is going to supply the $, then they get to call the shots.
                Before the internet, if you asked customers for a better communication method they would have told the US Postal Service to get faster trucks. Customers don’t understand what they want until you give it to them and club soccer parents don’t know what actual soccer looks like until their little superstar actually plays a real pro.

I am definitely not proposing a better way to develop players for college. College is NOT really good soccer. It is just the next logical step for average HS players that want to continue their education and play part-time before they end their career and get a job. It’s great for 99% of soccer players who simply are ok at soccer, but not the best who would like to make a career of it. For that 1%, college is a default option because there is no pro path here. They don’t really get anything out of continuing to play with mediocre players or an education they didn’t really want.

I can’t disagree with you that parents control kids desire for college (although I’m not sure what $ has to do with that since most are angling for a free ride). If however you are a consumer looking for real world-class pro soccer then you certainly won’t find it at the college level.

Let’s talk about how we create a path for the 1% who seek a pro career and leave all the childish drivel about getting into college aside?

Comment

Before the internet, if you asked customers for a better communication method they would have told the US Postal Service to get faster trucks. Customers don’t understand what they want until you give it to them and club soccer parents don’t know what actual soccer looks like until their little superstar actually plays a real pro.

I am definitely not proposing a better way to develop players for college. College is NOT really good soccer. It is just the next logical step for average HS players that want to continue their education and play part-time before they end their career and get a job. It’s great for 99% of soccer players who simply are ok at soccer, but not the best who would like to make a career of it. For that 1%, college is a default option because there is no pro path here. They don’t really get anything out of continuing to play with mediocre players or an education they didn’t really want.

I can’t disagree with you that parents control kids desire for college (although I’m not sure what $ has to do with that since most are angling for a free ride). If however you are a consumer looking for real world-class pro soccer then you certainly won’t find it at the college level.

Let’s talk about how we create a path for the 1% who seek a pro career and leave all the childish drivel about getting into college aside?
                  They need to play internationally. Seems like the only option. Why not get a college education though? Many of the NWSL girls have to finish on-line because they get drafted before they have completed their studies. The sport should allow the girls that put in the work in college to complete college before stealing them away for $15,000.

Comment

Get someone to write the check for a residential academy, or fund a developmental program attached to each of the pro teams. The teams themselves can't afford it.

Convince parents of the top .01% of players to ignore college to pursue a career with no earning potential, no track record of paying the rank and file players, and no real post playing career prospects aside from coaching. This tiny group of players with legit talent have to take a chance on 1,000,000-1 odds that the venture will be worth it. They need to turn down an education and starting a decades-long career at age 22, and take a flyer on being a pro soccer player. The only kids that can afford to take that risk are the children of hedge fund managers, cardiologists, or NY real estate tycoons.

PS: lots of families looking toward college are not looking for the free ride as much as they're looking to gain admissions tiebreakers. (this will bring our NESCAC friends into the discussion...)

Comment

But consumers AREN'T looking for world class pro soccer (at least for women).

You seem to be suggesting that today's soccer parents think that their kids are great players, or that they're capable of playing against pros. No and no, with a few delusional exceptions. By the time the vast majority of players are U15-16, their parents have a decent sense as to where their kids fall within the overall pecking order. And given that college is the goal and career-end for them, they don't care how their kids stack up against a pro player.

Comment

Why the US, who have more than three million young Americans playing for youth soccer clubs, can't seem to develop world class players that have creativity?
                        There are a few reasons:

- US youth soccer places winning ahead of development generally speaking. Smaller, skillful players are overlooked for big, fast athletes who kick the ball and run after it. This style of soccer wins youth games but does little for developing creative players.

- In the US, everything is organized for kids. They are on tight schedules and can't think for themselves. They don't get time to play with other kids out on the street (creating their own games as kids did years ago). Instead, they are driven by adults to activities organized and run by other adults. Street soccer is practically non-existent.

- The cost of travel/select soccer is financially beyond those groups of people for whom soccer forms a large part of their culture. It is dominated by white, middle-class kids. The minorities who do play street soccer are largely ignored by the travel soccer behemoth that feeds the colleges and US national teams.

- Lack of coaching and parental knowledge regarding the sport of soccer and how to develop soccer players in general. We're currently dominated by coaches and parents who did not grow up with soccer and who do not have a good understanding of the sport.

- US is dominated by sports that are in turn dominated by coaches (football, baseball, basketball). US soccer coaches then feel that they have to direct soccer games. The result is "Playstation soccer" where players don't think for themselves.

- Lack of a general soccer culture and fierce competition for athletes from the more popular US sports like football, baseball and basketball.

- Children with short attention spans who seem incapable of sitting down to watch professional soccer games (live or on TV).

- High School soccer and college soccer is win at all costs and of a very low standard.

So the problem is kids don't play soccer on their own and everything needs to be organized but the problem is poor kids can't play organized soccer?????

Ok, makes a lot of sense if you are a moron.

Comment

I call bs on the “big fast” vs “small skillful”. I am tired of hearing of that. Look at the rosters of the u17 and u20 with a few exceptions most under 6 feet. Then look internationally even South Korea World Cup team average height was 6ft In fact the average height of alll players in the World Cup was over six feet. Turns out you can’t teach speed and you can’t teach height.

Comment

I call bs on the “big fast” vs “small skillful”. I am tired of hearing of that. Look at the rosters of the u17 and u20 with a few exceptions most under 6 feet. Then look internationally even South Korea World Cup team average height was 6ft In fact the average height of alll players in the World Cup was over six feet. Turns out you can’t teach speed and you can’t teach height.
                            What's the average height for FC Barcalona again? 70". That's 5'10". Why is it the best forwards in the world have heights ranging from 5'7" to 6'4"? Because soccer IQ, skill and creativity is more important than physical attributes like height. I will agree with you on one thing though, you can't teach speed, but height for any position other than keeper shouldn't be a factor.

Comment

What's the average height for FC Barcalona again? 70". That's 5'10". Why is it the best forwards in the world have heights ranging from 5'7" to 6'4"? Because soccer IQ, skill and creativity is more important than physical attributes like height. I will agree with you on one thing though, you can't teach speed, but height for any position other than keeper shouldn't be a factor.
                              Turns out 6’4” is quite tall everywhere except the NBA

Show me instead the forward who is one of the best in the world and who is 5’7” really skillful and super slow

I am not saying that big and fast will win at higher levels. I am saying it’s retarded in the non perjorative sense to imply that big and fast is in anyway mutually exclusive to skillful

Give me a big fast skillful player any day of the week

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X